Guess What Amp I Just Bought

I don't know much about these amps, but from what I've seen they have lots of combinations of tonal capabilities with various switch settings..
seems like a really versatile tone palette..

Cliff - do you intend try try to capture them all or are there some specific combinations that you'll be aiming for???
btw - feel the need to echo the gratitude of everyone else here too..
what you're doing for us - not only with this particular amp, but everything in general - is truly remarkable..
huge huge thanks...

Not to mention just how kick ass it will be to play through an amp like this! Congratulations and Thank You!

This is going to be so awesome - now I'm going to sound just like Larry Carlton would if he suddenly forgot how to play.

LOL!
Actually, he almost did after he was shot outside his LA home years ago. Larry's the man... just a quick listen to the lead on "Mulberry Street" confirms this. No "pocket" licks or phrasing here.

Just waiting for this thread to eventually devolve into the mush that longer threads tend to end up as....

I'm going to bring it over Chris Quigley's house and we'll make a video. He's going to play some death metal through it and then I'm going to play Mustang Sally and some really crappy blues licks. Then we'll post the video on TGP, LOL.
fantastic ! don't forget to play some Enter Sandman, Sweet Child and some other real boutique amp friendly classics on it ;)

Many, Many Thanks to Cliff and the Crew.....

To spend that kind of money... Thank you Cliff for your thoughtfulness and generosity towards the community!

1+++
I've recently moved from Sarasota, Florida to David, Panama and the forum and it's great spirit has been a constant for me in a time of challenge and change. I'm living where I have to use headphones pretty much exclusively and it's great to be able to relax at night and play along with Rory Gallagher, Neil Young or whoever I want on Youtube. My Axe lets me dial in what I want and relatively easy compared to all my old pedals and other noisy, buzzy nonsense. I guess the Axe is my security blanket, I have nothing that would come close to duplicating what it does with ease.

This is a wonderful forum with so many caring, giving, selfless and INTELLIGENT folks from around the world helping each other. I always enjoy reading the posts and getting excited about the new thing someone wants to share and the "Next big Thing" coming down from Fractal!

Cliff, thank you and your crew for all the devotion to the highest standards possible. I'm sure you know how much it means to so many of us.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say thank you from the bottom of my heart, I loved my Standard, love my Ultra and WILL love my AxeII.

Your product have been far and away the BEST purchase I've EVER made where music is concerned.

You guys are the best:)

Cheers,
Joel Cunningham
David, Chiriqui, Panama

I'll let you know when I receive it. I'm going to bring it over Chris Quigley's house and we'll make a video. He's going to play some death metal through it and then I'm going to play Mustang Sally and some really crappy blues licks. Then we'll post the video on TGP, LOL.

That's sacrilege raised to the level of fine art! The Interwebz forums will be aflame for weeks! I can't wait.

I'll let you know when I receive it. I'm going to bring it over Chris Quigley's house and we'll make a video. He's going to play some death metal through it and then I'm going to play Mustang Sally and some really crappy blues licks. Then we'll post the video on TGP, LOL.

It would be hil-ar-ious if, after you've modeled it, you record a video of you smashing it "so no one else can have this tone without owning an Axe-Fx" and post it on TGP.

I'd laugh. I'm sure a lot of TGP'ers would cry. :)

This is going to be so awesome - now I'm going to sound just like Larry Carlton would if he suddenly forgot how to play.

Heh that literally made me LOL...that's funny.

It would be hil-ar-ious if, after you've modeled it, you record a video of you smashing it "so no one else can have this tone without owning an Axe-Fx" and post it on TGP.

I'd laugh. I'm sure a lot of TGP'ers would cry.
icon_e_smile.gif

Ha! For some reason I thought the same thing too...evil we are :evil

Thank you. My desire to get this amp is so I can model it and share it with the community.

Right on...Salute!!

Last edited:

I actually burst out laughing at this. Well played, sir, well played.

A lot of guys on the forum think that Mustang Sally reference is supposed to be funny but in reality Cliff's main source of income is from his playing in a popular 1960's cover band that does a lot of 30th wedding anniversary parties and high school reunions from the era.

This whole Fractal thing is just a side gig.

1+++
I've recently moved from Sarasota, Florida to David, Panama and the forum and it's great spirit has been a constant for me in a time of challenge and change. I'm living where I have to use headphones pretty much exclusively and it's great to be able to relax at night and play along with Rory Gallagher, Neil Young or whoever I want on Youtube. My Axe lets me dial in what I want and relatively easy compared to all my old pedals and other noisy, buzzy nonsense. I guess the Axe is my security blanket, I have nothing that would come close to duplicating what it does with ease.

This is a wonderful forum with so many caring, giving, selfless and INTELLIGENT folks from around the world helping each other. I always enjoy reading the posts and getting excited about the new thing someone wants to share and the "Next big Thing" coming down from Fractal!

Cliff, thank you and your crew for all the devotion to the highest standards possible. I'm sure you know how much it means to so many of us.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say thank you from the bottom of my heart, I loved my Standard, love my Ultra and WILL love my AxeII.

Your product have been far and away the BEST purchase I've EVER made where music is concerned.

You guys are the best:)

Cheers,
Joel Cunningham
David, Chiriqui, Panama

Rory is the man. I hope you are using an AC30 patch for Rory, and the Fender Deluxe for Neil. :)

There's a copy of that in here.. Last file in the Dumble Documents folder. It's funny reading that and thinking about Cliff! I love this.
Rob Livesey Trio

I bought Rob's ODS clone from him, and EVM cab. He was researching these a lot about 5 years ago, hence the amount of material he has there
Ironically he now has gone back to his collection of 60s Fenders. Having said that, for me, my Ceriatone HRMs nail Fender tones better than the plain Ceriatone ODS did

I still feel the Dumble design is up there in the top 5 for sound.
Certainly my favourites at present are my HRM clones, even though they were cheaper than other very special amps I own
Obviously, this is a collector's item, like a 59 LP, so it's not "worth it" as a plain amp purchase, but is worth it for investment value and the joy of owning something special.
Cliff of course also gets the commercial benefit - so he'll get extra value from this, and could still sell it
If Cliff nails it as a model, we might then move on to other serial number Dumbles with any luck, since they do vary

oh man, that amp and a wizard modern amp would be the only two other amps i'd like to have in the axe fx 2.... awesome!

Heh that literally made me LOL...that's funny.

Ha! For some reason I thought the same thing too...evil we are :evil

Right on...Salute!!

I had an image somewhat similar to this, but in the style of a TV commercial:

* Cliff plays his Dumble, and nods in approvement of the sound
* Performs some measurements on the amp
* Writes them down on paper
* Makes some lines of code, uploads it to the Axe
* Plays the Axe, with the exact same sound, and nods in approvement again
* Then proceeds to gently disassemble the Dumble... with a sledgehammer :)

It would make a nice commercial methinks, if a bit expensive.... :)

Back
Top Bottom