Guess What Amp I Just Bought

+1. I mean I've heard of Dumble, but $55k for ONE amp!!! It better do unspeakable things to my 'nether regions'.

In a nutshell, mountains of amp makers have tried to clone this amp. Dumble actually had a contract for every owner saying that they promise not to disassemble, copy, or sell the amp, ever. Every single amp was voiced to the specific player that bought it. The hilarious part is there are videos of Mr. Dumble playing guitar and he's terrible! The amps sound amazing, however.

Man if containing a model of a $55k amp doesn't stop people from bitching about the price of these, I don't think anything will.

Man if containing a model of a $55k amp doesn't stop people from bitching about the price of these, I don't think anything will.

No, the bitching will continue. V10 won't be released soon enough; AxeEdit is taking too long; there aren't enough bass amps; Periphery's patches aren't uploaded yet; Steve Vai won't personally come to your home to program you unit; etc.

Who's bitching? :) Including the MFC, this was the best 3 grand I've ever spent on guitar effects :) So many tonal possibilities ... the Dumble is just the icing on the cake :)

I think that's Henry Kaiser's revolting lead work - Dumble's playing rhythm on those vids and he's Ok. as far as I recall

When I first saw this video I thought it was one of the "shreds" videos. And even today it is hard for me to believe it´s meant to be music

I read an interview with Howard Dumble in Guitar Player back in the early 80's and he said that his amps were built so tough that you could drop one onto the sidewalk from a 2 story window, replace the tubes and speaker and it would still fire up.... LET'S TRY IT!!!! :)
AFTER Cliff models it... ;-)

The ODS varied a lot over the years...tone stack, plate etc...and who the amp was designed for. There is no single Dumble tone. But chances are whatever he got, it will sound pretty good. ;-)

A part of me hopes that Cliff opens the amp up and immediately recognized the circuitry as something he's seen a million times and there really isn't anything special about it. I'll play the hell out of it anyway!

ianx said:
I read an interview with Howard Dumble in Guitar Player back in the early 80's and he said that his amps were built so tough that you could drop one onto the sidewalk from a 2 story window, replace the tubes and speaker and it would still fire up.... LET'S TRY IT!!!!
AFTER Cliff models it... ;-)
...everyone can test the drop with their Axe-Fx and verify how well Cliff has nailed the model. You don't even need to replace the tubes or speaker.

As a side note. Every Dumble amp was tuned to the users needs substantially from what I've read which means that not two are equal. The Steel String Slinger type was a high wattage clean amp. The ODS is the gainy one. Two completely different amps. There are different tone stacks for different eras.

Anyone interested can sign up at the ampgarage.com and read/lurk/learn.

Ive read that at least some of the models are very "feedbackfriendly" even at low gain levels. To a point where its hard to controll.
Will be fun to see how this nr 213 behaves!

Back
Top Bottom