Guess What Amp I Just Bought

As a side note. Every Dumble amp was tuned to the users needs substantially from what I've read which means that not two are equal. The Steel String Slinger type was a high wattage clean amp. The ODS is the gainy one. Two completely different amps. There are different tone stacks for different eras.

Anyone interested can sign up at the ampgarage.com and read/lurk/learn.

Ive read that at least some of the models are very "feedbackfriendly" even at low gain levels. To a point where its hard to controll.
Will be fun to see how this nr 213 behaves!
Can't view this on my ipad to see if it's the right one, but listen to the feedback on this recording:
Larry Carlton - Emotions wound us so (live Last Nite album) - YouTube
It brings me to tears every time.
If the link doesn't work: search "Emotions wound us so" from Larry Carlton's "last night live" album.
Spent many an hour trying to get near that on my Ultra. I guess I'll wait a bit before starting on the II.

I'll let you know when I receive it. I'm going to bring it over Chris Quigley's house and we'll make a video. He's going to play some death metal through it and then I'm going to play Mustang Sally and some really crappy blues licks. Then we'll post the video on TGP, LOL.

Please let us know how it takes a tube screamer up front, or a BOSS Metal Zone. A bunch of ham fisted djenting for a ridiculously long video. I'd be very happy AND proud if this happened :mrgreen

Can't view this on my ipad to see if it's the right one, but listen to the feedback on this recording:
Larry Carlton - Emotions wound us so (live Last Nite album) - YouTube
It brings me to tears every time.
If the link doesn't work: search "Emotions wound us so" from Larry Carlton's "last night live" album.
Spent many an hour trying to get near that on my Ultra. I guess I'll wait a bit before starting on the II.

This is really an emotional performance. I believe that this is what it's all about. Can you bear your soul through your guitar? If not, maybe we're not doing something wrong. Guys like Larry Carlton are masters at this...I aspire to be at this level and I think the Axe-FX can help me get there.

Last edited:
The ODS varied a lot over the years...tone stack, plate etc...and who the amp was designed for. There is no single Dumble tone. But chances are whatever he got, it will sound pretty good. ;-)

This is spot on.

For example, I have heard Larry Carlton's Dumble and Robben Ford's Dumble several times, and they do not sound the same. There are interviews with the two where they said they tried each other's Dumble amps (tour in Japan) and Larry did not like Robben's and vice versa.

This is spot on.

For example, I have heard Larry Carlton's Dumble and Robben Ford's Dumble several times, and they do not sound the same. There are interviews with the two where they said they tried each other's Dumble amps (tour in Japan) and Larry did not like Robben's and vice versa.

Yes.....a 124 is not a 183 and would be no 213! ;)

For the non-Dumble aficionados, what's so special about this particular amp?

the ODS "overdrive" has a cascade preamp design with a different gain structure as most common amps, feeding a fender type clean preamp stage with well voiced pre gain tonestack into a middish/trebly voiced gain stage to induct a more open singing distortion, very dynamic tone with some nice mid breakup......and some "sizzle" highs (I call this myself "the angel dust")

Here is a nice (IMO the best!!) example of a d-style overdrive (a re-voiced Fender Silverface Dual Showman Amp) -> Dumble Overdrive Reverb with Rene Del Fierro - YouTube

PS: Call myself a long term fan - but just a bout the concept - not about the legends and their players. I lately had reworked one of my Mesa/Boogie StudioPreamp and now experimenting with Post Amp Drive on the 1Gen Axe to get interesting results - not real d-style, but sort of).
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-recordings/63282-post-amp-drive.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/62122-mesaboogie-overdrive-special-still-beta-stadium.html

Last edited:
This is really an emotional performance. I believe that this is what it's all about. Can you bear your soul through your guitar? If not, maybe we're not doing something wrong. Guys like Larry Carlton are masters at this...I aspire to be at this level and I think the Axe-FX can help me get there.
Amen. I wish there was more than one vid of this on YouTube. This one is blocked for "mobile" devices. Larry starts playing quite late, so bear out the long keyboard intro. But when he does...

i was walking around The Hague like twenty years ago and wandered into a jazz record shop. Thought I should get to know some Larry Carlton since everyone was talking about him and bought two CDs. The whole cd of Last night live is still one of the most provoking performances I've ever heard. And this is the best rendition of "emotions" to me. Pretty much a lucky find, I guess.

I just got a chance to watch it and they cut out the keyboard intro. Audio quality is pretty bad, too. However the hiss is authentic, that's on the CD too. Feedback frenzy starts at about 2:20 ish. I don't know how he got that warmth and clarity and drive and cleanness at the same time. I do think the amp was pretty loud that nite after all. Too bad they cut off the tail too.

I'd love to have that video.

Last edited:
Stevie Ray Vaughan was the first person I ever saw using a Dumble. At the time he had a Dumble "Steel String Slinger" going into a 4x12 cab and a Marshall 200 going into a 4x12 cab. I'd never heard of Dumble before SRV started using one. His sounded great.

So is any Dumble you buy guaranteed to have been made for someone in the upper echelons on the guitar world? Did he only build for the players? Or were there builds for the average joes done too?

So is any Dumble you buy guaranteed to have been made for someone in the upper echelons on the guitar world? Did he only build for the players? Or were there builds for the average joes done too?

HAD built them for guitarists, who could transform this tonal concepts into music...

Back
Top Bottom