GT1000fx / SD Powerstage700

Billbill

Power User
Im stuck!!! Which one???? I plan to run in stereo and very loud heavy metal. I know either would work but was just curious as to what other players have discovered with these. I found an older thread comparing the two a couple months ago but haven't decided yet. I do like that the matrix fits nicely in the rack opposite of the SD which is a somewhat weird design that seems to be intended to just sit on top of something and it's inputs are on front that's kinda dumb. Leaning toward the matrix

Ha so I was just about to say f it and order the Matrix but tonight it seems the website is down maybe they're doing some site maintenance or something. Or maybe it's the gear gods trying to tell me to get the SD powerstage and not the Matrix! Or maybe it's 6am and I'm talking to myself on a forum... FML

I play death metal, I like my matrix. It replaced an engl e840 and I have no regrets. Never tried the Duncan though so I can't compare the two.

I have both units. I bought the SD because we blew the breaker at a club, afterwards the matrix kept going into protection mode every 10 minutes. So I bought the SD as a backup. Well I hooked up the SD and haven’t even tested the matrix since. Two facts that make the SD nice, it has an EQ and two you can get it from most music retailers with a coupon for less than the matrix. I haven’t done a side by side comparison but to me it sounds and reacts the same as the matrix. Things that suck about the SD, power switch is in the back and the inputs are in the front.

Yeah I picked up the e840/50 for around 800$ used, sold it for the exact same a few months later. It was badass, but I don't feel like it was really giving me anything that the matrix doesn't also give me...PLUS I can now more easily use poweramp sims.

Actually the Matrix is a little more capable in that I can run it bridged for full mono power if needed. The Engl could only run in stereo, so 50w per side. Not a big deal if you're running stereo but in mono it can be annoying.

Last edited:
Just a little heads up. The input power consumption on the SD700 is only 270w. So at (Class D ) 90% efficiency that's 243w @ 4 ohms. Probably around 130w at 8 ohm and 60-70w at 16 ohms. Very optimistic rating of 700w, unless they've managed to create energy via some magic circuitry. The SD170 is only 55w consumption. So 50w at 40ohms.

Website back up and all ok again now!

Just a little heads up. The input power consumption on the SD700 is only 270w. So at (Class D ) 90% efficiency that's 243w @ 4 ohms. Probably around 130w at 8 ohm and 60-70w at 16 ohms. Very optimistic rating of 700w, unless they've managed to create energy via some magic circuitry. The SD170 is only 55w consumption. So 50w at 40ohms.

Website back up and all ok again now!
So the gt1000fx has more power for the punch?

I run 2 xitone passie wedges. The SD has no problem crushing skulls. I don’t know what specs vrs specs says but seems just as powerful as the matrix. Matrix with the same cabs I was running volume at 2oclock. SD I been running at 12 noon. I use cab sims so I have never done 4x12 or regular guitar cabs. Was tired of pissing moaning sound guys crying for me to turn down. Now I can blow my own head off on stage and screw those guy. With the plus of my guitar sounding kick ass through FOH.

So the gt1000fx has more power for the punch?

More power and more importantly more headroom. No chance of clipping under normal circumstances. I'm not saying "the SD won't be loud enough" but when people quote specs and then the facts tell a different story, it does make you wonder what else is going on. The Matrix will start getting loud from 12 onwards so has A LOT left in the tank even from 1 and 2 o clock on the dial.

Cool thx for the input guys. Just ordered me a gt1000fx and now have to figure out a pair of 212 cabs for full on stereo crunch....

Back
Top Bottom