Grrrrrrrr Microsoft!!!!

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Is it really too much to ask to simply warn the user that the OS needs an update (you know, like Apple does)?

Apparently it is. So the OS just updates whenever M$ feels it is necessary despite a 20 page document being open with complicated equations that took me several days to author. Fortunately I didn't lose much work but the outcome could've been a lot worse.

Last I checked, you can only opt out from updates for a month at a time. That is super frustrating when an update completely breaks things. (Which is almost guaranteed when you’re using Bootcamp with 3rd party graphics drivers.)

Windows is more designed for larger organizations with automatic configurations set by for example GPO

You could manually change that from "gpedit.msc"
Computer configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates
Set enabled and "3 - Auto download and notify to install"

This should be the default behaviour but MS doesn't agree on that =)

That's one of many reasons I love Apple and despise Microsoft.
Apple will let you go decades with the same OS and never harass you about anything. You just find out when software updates come out and your system doesn't support it.

Based on a Unix-type kernel, the Mach kernel. It can run for months and months without an issue.

Windows on the other hand, everything comes to a screeching fkn halt and catch fire when you don't get the latest dumbass driver to replace some meaningless WHQL certificate of some such nonsense. Nothing ever works the same way twice. Everything you try to use needs an update to continue. If something doesn't start in the right sequence good fkn luck, berch - you're starting all over again. It's always been so full of memory leaks and trash background processes that if you leave it unattended for more than a bathroom break it will probably lock up.

I really hate Microsoft.

There must be a setting somewhere in the OS. I don’t remember changing anything when I updated to Windows 10 or since, but I have never had it reboot or begin an install while I had an application running. It always gives me a warning that I have updates downloaded and ready to install. The message asks do I want to specify a time later to install or do I want to power down now and install. But it gives me a choice, it does not just immediately go into the install routine. The other common experience related to updates is that very often I will shut down and I get a message that Widows is installing updates - Do Not Power Down. Generally it shows a rotating circle of dots and counts up to 30% and then shuts down. When I power back up it picks up installing where it left off and counts the rest of the way up to 100% and then loads the OS.

I am in no way defending M$, but I have to say they have never insisted an update in the middle of my work without first giving me an option to shut things down. There must be a setting some place.

Is it really too much to ask to simply warn the user that the OS needs an update (you know, like Apple does)?

Apparently it is. So the OS just updates whenever M$ feels it is necessary despite a 20 page document being open with complicated equations that took me several days to author. Fortunately I didn't lose much work but the outcome could've been a lot worse.
If you've been beset by 2 decades of serious bugs, you'd also be preoccupied with how to get fixes deployed as widely as possible as fast as possible. Of course, if you were Microsoft, maybe you'd be better off asking yourself why you have so many bugs in the first place.

M$'s nonsense is a part of why I switched careers. I used to program BBOM's for the entertainment industry using C# and the thought of spending the rest of my 30's doing it M$'s way made me want to jump off the top of the building. I swore that if I ever had to program for a living again I would learn a new stack and stay in the *nix world.

(Also, if somebody could strap Kendo-UI to a rocket and shoot it into the sun that would be greaaaat...)

Apple will let you go decades with the same OS and never harass you about anything. You just find out when software updates come out and your system doesn't support it.

Based on a Unix-type kernel, the Mach kernel. It can run for months and months without an issue.

Windows on the other hand, everything comes to a screeching fkn halt and catch fire when you don't get the latest dumbass driver to replace some meaningless WHQL certificate of some such nonsense. Nothing ever works the same way twice. Everything you try to use needs an update to continue. If something doesn't start in the right sequence good fkn luck, berch - you're starting all over again. It's always been so full of memory leaks and trash background processes that if you leave it unattended for more than a bathroom break it will probably lock up.

I really hate Microsoft.
So much this. From 2014 to 2020 my studio workhorse was a 2009 Mac Pro that ran a rock-solid Pro Tools rig on the same OS that whole time. I love that with Macs once they're set up for DAW duty you really can just run them for years and years.

I've been using Windows forever and have literally never encountered this behavior although I've seen hundreds accounts of it happening. Was this in the home or Pro version? I've only ever used Pro versions.

All of my personal computers are Macs, but for work the livestream computer is a PC. Every Windows update I have to go through and make sure the drivers and audio are configured properly. And I work at a church, and many of the updates hit on Friday or Saturday after I setup for the weekend, so I discover the configuration needs to be reset on Sunday morning. Also it was fun in college sitting with my stable Mac, watching people’s Window’s computers auto update to Windows 10 in the middle of class. But life goes on and I’m glad not a lot of work was lost in the updates. The one setting that did help me was whatever the ”do not update during this time range“ is called. I set it for max time, and ensures that only in the middle of the night is when the updates happen.

It might cost some money upfront, but if you can put your computer on a domain (which is probably a good idea for a company anyway), you should be able to control things like this completely through Group Policy and update management software like WSUS or similar.

I really hate Microsoft.

Eh, it's been at least a decade since Windows was really like that... unless of course you buy a laptop from a big box store like Wal-Mart or Best Buy or wherever, where Windows comes preinstalled along with dozens of temporary / shareware / "trial versions" of awful, shady, unstable bloatware on top of the standard OS. Macs would be unstable too if Apple allowed resellers to do that.

Windows is pretty solid these days if you install it yourself.

Last edited:
I'm down to one version of Windows, and that's a virtual one - the rest is all MacOS. What bugs me about windows is that the updates cascade - apply update 1 and then (and only then) it reports update 3 and 4 should be applied and so on...

Same thing happened to me on two of my computers couple days ago. Weird is they both started blaring music when they rebooted (in the middle of the night) from paused YouTube vids. If I could turn it off I would never update again until I bought a new computer.

# Click Start menu > Settings > Update & Security
# In the upper left Click: Windows Update
# On the right Click: Change active hours
## Set your active hours, so it won't restart during them and then click the arrow in the upper left to go back
# Click Advanced options
## Turn Off "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in."
## Turn On "Show notifications when your PC requires a restart to finish updating"

I add this batch file I wrote a long time ago to my Startup folder and it asks me if I want to Disable or Enable Windows Updates.
# To open your Startup folder, Click Start menu and don't click anything else and just start typing: Run
# Open Run
# In the Open field type: shell:startup
# Click OK
# Create the batch file below and put it in your Startup folder

# To create the batch file, copy the code below into Notepad and save as: Windows_Update_Disable_or_Enable.cmd

Code:
@ECHO OFF
COLOR 05
PROMPT
SETLOCAL DisableDelayedExpansion
SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansion

REM ###############################################################################

:X_LBL_Title
SET "_AppName=# Windows Update Disable or Enable #"
SET "_Version=v2021-12-16_190143_Th"
SET "_Author=Written by Lou $oldi II aka GotMetalBoy"
SET "_TITLE=%_AppName% %_Version% - %_Author%"
TITLE %_TITLE%

REM ###############################################################################

:CheckPrivileges
NET FILE >NUL 2>&1
IF !ErrorLevel! EQU 0 (
    GOTO LBL_Check_Elevation_SKIP
        ) ELSE (
            SET "_App_Path="
            SET "_App_Path=%~0"
            CALL :LBL_VBS_RunAs_Elevated
            EXIT
            )

:LBL_VBS_RunAs_Elevated
IF EXIST "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs" DEL "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs"

(
ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^)
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "!_App_Path!", "", "", "runas", 1
)> "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs"

WSCRIPT "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs"
IF EXIST "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs" DEL "!TEMP!\OK_To_Delete_VBS_RunAs_Elevated.vbs"
EXIT /B

:LBL_Check_Elevation_SKIP

:LBL00_Menu
CLS
COLOR 05
ECHO.
ECHO !_TITLE!
ECHO ###############################################################################
ECHO This program will Disable or Enable Windows Update
ECHO Windows Update Service name: wuauserv
ECHO ###############################################################################
ECHO Please make a selection from the menu below and press ENTER:
ECHO  1. Disable Windows Update
ECHO  2. Enable Windows Update
ECHO  3. Status of Windows Update
ECHO 99. Don't make any changes and Exit
ECHO.

:LBL00_Menu_Prompt
SET "_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT="
SET /P "_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT=* Type your selection number and press ENTER: "

IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==1 GOTO LBL01_WU_DISABLE
IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==2 GOTO LBL02_WU_ENABLE
IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==3 GOTO LBL02_WU_STATUS
IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==99 EXIT
IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==E EXIT
IF /I !_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!==EXIT EXIT

:LBL00_Menu_Prompt_Not_Valid
CLS
COLOR 0C
ECHO.
ECHO  "!_LBL00_MENU_PROMPT!" is not a valid selection, Please try again.
TIMEOUT /T 2 >NUL 2>&1
COLOR F0
CALL :LBL00_Menu
EXIT /B

:LBL01_WU_DISABLE
CLS
TITLE # Disable Windows Update #
COLOR 05
ECHO.
ECHO Disabling Services
ECHO.

SC CONFIG wuauserv START= disabled  >NUL 2>&1

ECHO.
ECHO Stopping Services
ECHO.

NET STOP wuauserv /Y

ECHO.
ECHO Status of Windows Update
ECHO.

SC.exe queryex wuauserv | FINDSTR /I "STATE"
SC.exe qc wuauserv | FINDSTR /I "START_TYPE"

ECHO.
ECHO Press any key to return to the main Menu
ECHO.

PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
GOTO LBL00_Menu

:LBL02_WU_ENABLE

CLS
TITLE # Enable Windows Update #
COLOR 05
ECHO.
ECHO Setting Services startup type back to defaults
ECHO.

SC CONFIG wuauserv START= delayed-auto  >NUL 2>&1

ECHO.
ECHO Starting Services
ECHO.

NET START wuauserv /Y

ECHO.
ECHO.

ECHO.
ECHO.

PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
GOTO LBL00_Menu

:LBL02_WU_STATUS

CLS
TITLE # Status of Windows Update #
COLOR 05
ECHO.
ECHO.

ECHO.
ECHO.

PAUSE >NUL 2>&1
GOTO LBL00_Menu

EXIT

omg. I get so annoyed when I lose hours of work. I can't even imagine

I remember when by brother in law destroyed my laptop because he used it for a minute and instantly accepted the Win7 ->Win10 free "upgrade now" notification.

I was angry and hes like "its newer, it's better bro"

fkn hell most zoomers just don't get it. Probably zoomers pushing the MS updates out too.

Windows is more designed for larger organizations with automatic configurations set by for example GPO

You could manually change that from "gpedit.msc"
Computer configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates
Set enabled and "3 - Auto download and notify to install"

This should be the default behaviour but MS doesn't agree on that =)

I didn't think that works anymore in Windows 10? I'll have to test it.

# You can also do this by modifying the registry:
https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.WindowsUpdate::AutoUpdateCfg

# The CMD command to modifying the registry to Configure Automatic Updates:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /V "NoAutoUpdate" /T REG_DWORD /D "0" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /V "AUOptions" /T REG_DWORD /D "3" /F
# If you want to Install updates for other Microsoft products:
Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /V "AllowMUUpdateService" /T REG_DWORD /D "1" /F

# This website shows were most of the Windows 10 Registry entries are for the Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc:
https://admx.help/?Category=Windows_10_2016

WARNING!!!
Do not attempt any of these Registry changes if you don't know what you're doing!
Make a system image backup of your hard drive before making any of these changes!

Back
Top Bottom