Grounding issue with G90 wireless

boardwlk17

Power User
I have a grounding issue with my G90 wireless plugged into the front of my Ax effects 3. The G90 has A XLR output should I use that to a quarter inch or should I get a hum Buster cable

It's in a rack, The quarter inch cable from the front of the AXEfx input going to the output of the wireless receiver as quarter inch and that's what's creating the ground buzz if I unplug the wireless and just use a 1/4" cable it's fine

It's in a rack, The quarter inch cable from the front of the AXEfx input going to the output of the wireless receiver as quarter inch and that's what's creating the ground buzz if I unplug the wireless and just use a 1/4" cable it's fine
Ok. Have you tried using a different cable from the wireless to the fractal? Have you tried moving the rack to somewhere else in the room?

Maybe a dumb question, but I always check the silly stuff first. Are you sure it's a ground issue, or are you getting wireless interference? The G90's work in the 2.4G range, so if you've got a router, or something else operating near that frequency near by, it can cause issues.

It may not be a ground issue. It could be emf. I have a Sennheiser wireless in my rack and i get an emf buzz in a couple venues everytime we play them. I would separate the units and see what happens. It could be your location.

I have a very similar issue years back with the old Line6 system.
What kind of rack case are you using? Mine was a SKB, and the grounding issue only occurred in that case.
I moved my gear to a new case (or take out the rack screws and pull any rack units away from the rails, so nothing is touching the aluminum on the SKB case) and my ground hum/buzz went away immediately.
I even tried grounding the case and it didn't work.

I just went to a normal anvil style case and never had an issue again.

May be a different issue, but just sharing in case it may be similar.

I have a very similar issue years back with the old Line6 system.
What kind of rack case are you using? Mine was a SKB, and the grounding issue only occurred in that case.
I moved my gear to a new case (or take out the rack screws and pull any rack units away from the rails, so nothing is touching the aluminum on the SKB case) and my ground hum/buzz went away immediately.
I even tried grounding the case and it didn't work.

I just went to a normal anvil style case and never had an issue again.

May be a different issue, but just sharing in case it may be similar.
I can attest to this phenomenon. I went with black electrical tape on the rails so the rails couldn't create continuity between the rack units. Then used tape around the rack ears and in the ear holes to keep the screws themselves from circumventing my tape on the rails.

FWIW – all of the racks in our systems have had their pre-tapped metal rack rails removed and replaced with 3/4" x 1-1/2" soft white pine wooden rails. We then use #8 woodscrews with #8 cup washers to secure equipment in the racks, making sure that we leave at least 1/4" vertical space between adjacent units. This is an Old SoundGuy technique to prevent the equipment metal chassis contacting any metal rails (or other pieces of gear) and thereby creating multiple physical grounding points between pieces of gear – so that each device gets it's ground only via the electrical connector.

Works like a charm – hooray for proper grounding schemes!

Humfrees (humphrees) (whatever) Rack isolating bushings.

Or just use the 1/4 inch out.

I definitely remember having to 'float' shit in my rack to get rid of ground loops. It's sad to hear that you are dealing with it on a G90, which I consider the best thing Line6 has ever done.

I can attest to this phenomenon. I went with black electrical tape on the rails so the rails couldn't create continuity between the rack units. Then used tape around the rack ears and in the ear holes to keep the screws themselves from circumventing my tape on the rails.
wondering if this would solve a small ground loop issue on one of my 4cm'd amp heads plugged into my rack's power conditioner - not sure I understand though as I don't see how one would get tape to stay in the ear holes with screws threading into them and then into the rack rails - the screw threads would still be contact points between rack ears and rails no?

...not sure I understand though as I don't see how one would get tape to stay in the ear holes with screws threading into them and then into the rack rails - the screw threads would still be contact points between rack ears and rails no?
It can work, if you're careful and lucky. The screws pass through the ears but don't thread into them.

Anyway, that's why they make these.

It can work, if you're careful and lucky. The screws pass through the ears but don't thread into them.

Anyway, that's why they make these.
thanks for the tip - bummer those tabs are not available in Canada - will try the tape thing

FWIW – all of the racks in our systems have had their pre-tapped metal rack rails removed and replaced with 3/4" x 1-1/2" soft white pine wooden rails. We then use #8 woodscrews with #8 cup washers to secure equipment in the racks, making sure that we leave at least 1/4" vertical space between adjacent units. This is an Old SoundGuy technique

No school like old school 👍

I have a grounding issue with my G90 wireless plugged into the front of my Ax effects 3. The G90 has A XLR output should I use that to a quarter inch or should I get a hum Buster cable
Have you tried using the 1/4” output on the G90 directly to the AxeFX? That’s what I do and I have zero grounding issues.

Back
Top Bottom