Ground noise issue and out of ideas to troubleshoot the unit

fefiguer

Hello everyone,
New to the forum so if the description of my issue rings a bell to one of the thousand existing threads, a reference to it will be appreciated.

I hope I’m able to explain my issue without letting my frustration get in the way. I have an AXE FX 3 unit which has taken it’s fair share of time to ramp up. At the beginning I was getting some noise filtered in the signal and I though it was due to my learning curve process. But now, after various months using it and tweaking I think this noise issue is not due to the lack of knowledge on setting the unit. I have tweaked the gate, I/O configs for the noise to floor ratio, fractal blocks, etc...

I know there are many external factors that can add noise to a signal, but recently I did a test moving my unit to different places at home just to get data, and it appears that external light sources (flourecent light bulbs, screen monitors, laptops, etc )are not a factor. The outlets I used appear to be grounded yet I still can hear embedded in the signal an antenna interference type noise (that mix of bad grounding and hum).

In the guitar is most noticeable when I palm mute on the low E and A strings using high distortion amps with a humbucker guitar. In the bass (Jazz bass) this is most noticeable when I use a DI signal and just a drive block (B7K), using a bass amp appears to help reduce this noise although it does not go permanently away.

My fractal unit is connected into a furman power source so I would expect the furman to filter the noise but it doesn’t. More over I have also tested connecting the fractal unit directly to the power outlet and the same noise.

I have checked the guitar and bass (3 guitars and 1 bass) for ground issues and all HW appears to be making connection (bridge, strings, I/O jack, pots, SW) and is not that the noise signal is boosted when I touch the strings (me making an antenna), is more like the signal is permanently embedded when I play. I have tested several cables, new and used and the result is the same.

Finally, when I use the USB interface to record, I notice that when I change the DAW input source from the latop's default sound card to the AXE FX3 I hear a really dim high frequency pitch in the background, when I switch back to the default onboard sound card, the pitch goes away.

I don’t think the set up has any play since I’ve tested moving just the fractal unit to different locations to see if my location, rack or setup has any play, and the issue goes where the fractal unit goes. At this point I’m out of ideas on how to trouble shoot the unit. Any recommendations on what else can I try to pin-point the problem will be appreciated. Before looking to get this unit into maintenance.

Thank you all. Best regards

Create a preset with guitar straight into AxeFX just In1 block straight to Out 1 block with no outboard gear attached and nothing in between I/O blocks. Is there any noise with nothing plugged in?
Any noise with guitar plugged in?
Listen through monitors then headphones, is noise coming through both?

Sorry to hear of your frustration.

Any good troubleshooting starts with finding out for sure, not just I think so.
I would purchase this small outlet tester tool. It can tell you if there are any wiring issues with your outlets.
It's an inexpensive tool you can keep in your toolbox for future use.

Amazon product ASIN B000NB85LC

Noise issues can be frustrating as hell to track down. Fractal support is top notch so don't hesitate to reach out to them.

Have you tested it outside of your rack? Rack rails can sometimes cause ground loops with other devices in the rack. Isolation tabs are the fix for that.

Try testing using different inputs and outputs and even headphones. Could be an issue with one of the input or output circuits.

Also, the Furman isn't going to reduce noise from all potential sources. I had an issue with some ticking type buzzing (the place I rent has shitty wiring also) and it turned out to be a night stand fan in the same room. Lights, monitors, poor quality wiring, antennas, computers, fans, it can be a million things.

Do you always play with it connected to a computer? I had some issues a while back and they only happened when my laptop was connected to the Axe. I eventually tracked it down to a usb device connected to the computer.

OP, can you clarify what you mean by " I have an AXE FX 3 unit which has taken it’s fair share of time to ramp up. "

Make sure the computer, AXE FX, amps, etc are all plugged it the same power source.
+1 - In my guitar dungeon at home I make sure ALL electrical devices attached directly or indirectly to Axefx (including any powered devices sending usb,midi,audio,network traffic) are all routed into the same power outlet and, I chose a circut that has no fans/dimmers/motors/appliances etc co-connected (just on/off light switches) - nothing special about my cables / guitars some of which are poorly shielded. Not sure if I'm benefitting from this power routing practice but my Axefx3 (and 2) are always dead quiet with guitar volume off with no gate - and no abnormal noise level with guitar volume up to the point where I don't feel the need for a gate on higher gain (though I don't play that start/stop Djenty downtumed stuff where a fast gate would seem to be essential)

Create a preset with guitar straight into AxeFX just In1 block straight to Out 1 block with no outboard gear attached and nothing in between I/O blocks. Is there any noise with nothing plugged in?
Any noise with guitar plugged in?
Listen through monitors then headphones, is noise coming through both?
I did try this..... DI signal is almost clean. There's a little bit of floor noise but the type you hear when you intentionally listen to try to find noise. On the guitar for example playing with clean amps shows no issues, although there's little point to heavy palm mute on clean amps.

Sorry to hear of your frustration.

Any good troubleshooting starts with finding out for sure, not just I think so.
I would purchase this small outlet tester tool. It can tell you if there are any wiring issues with your outlets.
It's an inexpensive tool you can keep in your toolbox for future use.

Amazon product ASIN B000NB85LC
Thank you for the suggestion. I went in an got one and the ground in the outlet is fine. I'm starting to doubt my instruments, even though they have been serviced, they were not done properly. :(

+1 - In my guitar dungeon at home I make sure ALL electrical devices attached directly or indirectly to Axefx (including any powered devices sending usb,midi,audio,network traffic) are all routed into the same power outlet and, I chose a circut that has no fans/dimmers/motors/appliances etc co-connected (just on/off light switches) - nothing special about my cables / guitars some of which are poorly shielded. Not sure if I'm benefitting from this power routing practice but my Axefx3 (and 2) are always dead quiet with guitar volume off with no gate - and no abnormal noise level with guitar volume up to the point where I don't feel the need for a gate on higher gain (though I don't play that start/stop Djenty downtumed stuff where a fast gate would seem to be essential)
I was suspecting that, until I took my unit out of the rack where I have all my set up. Took it to another room with all appliances off, connected the fractal directly to a grounded outlet and the noise was there. I even left my bass in a stand, only touched it to pluck the string. I monitored the sound directly through headphones from the headphone output. As simple as it gets I think. I still have pending to testing the other back inputs.

When you play through the Axe-FX III, do you monitor it through the USB audio interface? If so, try running the Axe-FX III and your USB audio interface while both are disconnected from the computer. Also, move away from the computer.

Back
Top Bottom