Gritty Sounding Clean Tones

I'm still a newb on this thing, but I'm pretty sure the input trim on the I/O shouldn't have anything to do with it. If I understand right, turning it down would actually increase your signal to noise ratio, though probably not noticeably. If it were too high, you could get input clipping, but not the "grit" that the OP is concerned with. I could be totally wrong about this, so feel free to correct me if I'm totally misunderstanding it. I've only had mine for a couple months.
100% correct. Input levels don't affect internal signal level except at extreme settings.

Don't forget to set Input Trim to .5 on any amp with hi/lo inputs. Especially with humbuckers.

There are many clean sounds in the unit. Shiva Clean, USA Clean, most of the Fender type amps can do clean, Tx Star Clean, etc.

It also depends on what pups you use. Hotter pups will drive some of the "clean" sounds into distortion. That's why I have "clean" presets for my Strat, and "clean" presets for my JP6.

Have you set the input level correctly? I was told that you can set it for your highest one and not worry, which is 30%, but my Fender needs to be @ 100% and if I leave it at 30% it's got no life or sustain. I have currently 13 guitars and they all have different settings.

What do you mean no life or sustain? I was under the assumption that the input level has no bearing whatsoever on the tone/life/sustain. I need to keep mine at 10% because I run some boost pedals really hot into the front end, and my strat sounds the same at 10% input level as if I set my input level to 100%. I thought the only thing is that at 10% I'd have a higher signal to noise ratio, but to be honest I don't hear any extra noise.

Has anyone else found this or does your tone change if the input level is set low? Anyone hearing extra noise?

Lots of real life Fender amps start to get a bit of grit at around "3" on the volume dial (non MV amps). Remember that's around 2.2 on the Drive value on the Axe. Having values below this & with the Input Trim set to less than "1.0" on the amp as well will get you going in the right direction.

I found the same thimgs when I got mine but worked out it was usually the amp master volume as well as the gain knob

I drop both right down and boost back up with the output at the end of the amp block for clean cleans

also I find many clean tones that slightly clip clean up with a tiny guitar volume knob roll off

Well I can't help but to feel a little bit stupid here. I have 3 guitars. A PRS tuned to E standard, an ESP evertune tuned to drop C and a PRS baritone tuned to drop A. I was using my standard E PRS to test clean tones because it's tuned the highest and would sound the cleanest. I was getting all sorts of grit in the clean sounds. Taking everybody's advice I could NOT get a pure clean tone. Frustrated, I grabbed my ESP and went on to play some metal but was still on a clean patch. Strummed and to my amazement it was extremely clean, no gritty sound. I tried others. Same thing. Hmmm, then I grabbed my PRS again and the grit was back. It actually turns out that my PRS has some dirty electronics and it's messing with the tone.

So, thanks for the help everybody!

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom