Not a Bug Green = bad, Violet = good?

fractalz

Power User
So, I was just assuming that the IRs colored GREEN meant they were ultrares since, well, green = good, right?

Then I RTFMd and found out that the violet ones are ultra-res.

So, a head's-up and suggestion that maybe green should be for a-OK things?

So, I was just assuming that the IRs colored GREEN meant they were ultrares since, well, green = good, right?

Then I RTFMd and found out that the violet ones are ultra-res.

There's nothing "wrong" with normal res IRs...

They're just colors ;)

Non-UltraRes IRs are plenty A-OK. They're not "bad." At all.

Changing colors would involve changes to several products, including a discontinued one.

Non-UltraRes IRs are plenty A-OK. They're not "bad." At all.

Changing colors would involve changes to several products, including a discontinued one.

My point is that, of the two colors given, one might assume that green = the more advanced / newer / claimed better version. It seems odd, from a UI perspective, that the opposite is true.

New users without the benefit of Fractal lore would likely assume the same.

See also the discussion on firmware update completion text message colors.

All that said, if the impact to change it outweighs the benefit then it should stay the same. But, maybe this should be taken into consideration if/when future colorizing decisions need to be made.

Please take my bug reports in the spirit they are intended - my somewhat educated input on a product and company that I love in the hopes of making it better.

My point is that, of the two colors given, one might assume that green = the more advanced / newer / claimed better version. It seems odd, from a UI perspective, that the opposite is true.

New users without the benefit of Fractal lore would likely assume the same.

See also the discussion on firmware update completion text message colors.

All that said, if the impact to change it outweighs the benefit then it should stay the same. But, maybe this should be taken into consideration if/when future colorizing decisions need to be made.

Please take my bug reports in the spirit they are intended - my somewhat educated input on a product and company that I love in the hopes of making it better.

Why does green equate to more advanced or newer ?

If anything, I’d think green is more conservative, clean, basic etc

Many amps I’ve had with colored channels had the green as the clean channel, red, orange were the heavy channels

By the same logic, green often implies lower resources, keeping a cpu meter in the green for example, while red suggests too many resources used, green equates to lower resources

Green is also associated with conservation, green products..... if you souped up your car for extra horsepower and making it faster no one would say you’ve gone green, just the opposite in fact. Geeen is eco.... a Dodge Demon is not green

Why does green equate to more advanced or newer ?

If anything, I’d think green is more conservative, clean, basic etc

Many amps I’ve had with colored channels had the green as the clean channel, red, orange were the heavy channels

By the same logic, green often implies lower resources, keeping a cpu meter in the green for example, while red suggests too many resources used, green equates to lower resources

Green is also associated with conservation, green products..... if you souped up your car for extra horsepower and making it faster no one would say you’ve gone green, just the opposite in fact. Geeen is eco.... a Dodge Demon is not green

It seems like you are stretching to me. In computer UI, Green would be used for "OK" and Red for "Cancel". Green for "Next", Red for "Back". These are well established conventions. Check marks showing completion : green. On this very forum, users online : green. Stop lights are Green for Go, Red for Stop.

Because of the everyday use of these colors, implicit assumptions are made when you see them.

So, for someone newly stepping up to the platform, or in my case, someone who has used the products for over 6 years, it is realistic that the user would assume the green one was the newer / more advanced option.

I feel like I'm lecturing, but the two different colors were clearly meant to indicate something. So, I'd say, go back to what they were intended to indicate. Why differentiate between these types of IRs at all if there is no difference? Why are some in italics and some not? What are these clues supposed to communicate to the user? Then, map the indicators to a paradigm they are familiar with.

And, by the way, selecting a non-UltraRes IR uses *more* CPU than an UltraRes IR. I don't know why, but maybe because it has to be up-converted to UltraRes?

Could it not be said that in order to even know what “ultra Rez” Ir’s are one would need to have some familiarity with the manual ?

Even if we make the assumption that green should equate to ultra Rez, would one not to to know what ultra Rez is in order to want to select it in the first place ? Therefore, if one takes the time to learn what ultra Rez is, they’d also discover the color associated with it.

I don’t think anyone is just randomly going to select green becasue they think it’s “better”, without any other connotation of in what way it’s better, no?

But if you learn why it could be viewed as better, would it not be difficult to miss the color ? Or to take the time to read up and educate oneself on all things ultra Rez, yet then make an incorrect assumption to what color FAS assigned them?

So, for someone newly stepping up to the platform, or in my case, someone who has used the products for over 6 years, it is realistic that the user would assume the green one was the newer / more advanced option.
I would think that a new user would see the different colors and think, “I wonder heat the colors mean.” He would then consult the manual and discover that violet = UltraRes. There would be no time to develop the wrong impression before learning the correct answer.

Could it not be said that in order to even know what “ultra Rez” Ir’s are one would need to have some familiarity with the manual ?

Even if we make the assumption that green should equate to ultra Rez, would one not to to know what ultra Rez is in order to want to select it in the first place ? Therefore, if one takes the time to learn what ultra Rez is, they’d also discover the color associated with it.

I don’t think anyone is just randomly going to select green becasue they think it’s “better”, without any other connotation of in what way it’s better, no?

But if you learn why it could be viewed as better, would it not be difficult to miss the color ? Or to take the time to read up and educate oneself on all things ultra Rez, yet then make an incorrect assumption to what color FAS assigned them?

Again, you are reaching for an explanation. I've used the product for 6 years, know what UltraRes is, and avoided the Violet ones because I thought they were standard res, because, as most people know, green is used to indicate things that are good / preferred / better.

I would think that a new user would see the different colors and think, “I wonder heat the colors mean.” He would then consult the manual and discover that violet = UltraRes. There would be no time to develop the wrong impression before learning the correct answer.

You missed my point. The meaning of Green and not-Green is already ingrained in us from life experience. So, I would naturally pick the green one because my brain has been trained to believe it is the good / better / newer option.

Of course, everyone can have their perspective on this and that is not worth arguing over. The thing that can't be debated is my experience with the product and I mistook green for meaning good / better / newer.

So, if this is user-error, so be it.

Insert rant here about this forum becoming more and more unfriendly... I've certainly played my own part in that, and know how fun it can be to be reflexively combative, but it does grow old...

I thought the violet was blue! My green and red colorblindness sucks! Gets me on certain shades.

Again, you are reaching for an explanation. I've used the product for 6 years, know what UltraRes is, and avoided the Violet ones because I thought they were standard res, because, as most people know, green is used to indicate things that are good / preferred / better.

Isn’t that the crux of the debate though? That you thought violet = bad, when an IR is neither good nor bad, and you equate green with “better”, with the key bit of contention your assertion that “most people” know green means good ?

Shouldn’t FAS made the III have green instead of blue LED’s the if green is the universal color of “better” ?

What does blue equate to out of curiosity ?

You missed my point. The meaning of Green and not-Green is already ingrained in us from life experience. So, I would naturally pick the green one because my brain has been trained to believe it is the good / better / newer option.

Of course, everyone can have their perspective on this and that is not worth arguing over. The thing that can't be debated is my experience with the product and I mistook green for meaning good / better / newer.

So, if this is user-error, so be it.

Insert rant here about this forum becoming more and more unfriendly... I've certainly played my own part in that, and know how fun it can be to be reflexively combative, but it does grow old...
Well, the first thing I did when I saw 2 colors was read the manual to see what that indicated rather than jumping to conclusions. The bottom line for me is it doesn't matter whether an IR is Ultra res or not. If it sounds good, I use it. If not, I move on to another. I can't believe anyone is making such a huge deal over what color the text is!:eek:

You missed my point. For people just learning the box, they wouldn’t know what the IR colors are all about. They’d have to look it up, at which point their assumptions about the meaning of color are out of the equation.

The thing that can't be debated is my experience with the product and I mistook green for meaning good / better / newer.
Understood.

Disagreeing with you doesn’t equal being reflexively combative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom