Greatest band of all time?

What is the greatest band of all time?

• Total voters
Probably depends on your age...

I missed them by a few years and never really got into Zeppelin. I do appreciate them, however.

For me, I'd probably pick Van Halen or Black Sabbath or maybe Iron Maiden.

I'm sure many will say The Beatles.

pretty sure Country music listeners and pop music listeners would say no! greatest band of all time would be tuff to judge. For rock though they are high on the list, not greatest though in my eyes either.

Zeppelin is right there for sure. But can't see how anything can top the Beatles.

Edit: of course there is a difference between greatest and favorite, I would base "greatest" off of impact, hence the Beatles.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know how to say which is the greatest band... but Zep is certainly in the conversation, and is probably in my top 5 favorites. Ask me while I'm listening to Physical Graffiti or Zoso and I'll probably tell you they're higher than that ;-)

Well, one that comes to mind is Miles Davis' Second Great Quintet.
Those guys could play. But then there have been, and will continue to be, lots of great bands; as mentioned, The Beatles, then there's the classic lineup of Yes, and there are those of us who have an appreciation for the Grateful Dead, and there's Dream Theater, The Dixie Dregs, New Grass Revival, Bob Marley and The Wailers, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, Earth Wind and Fire, Cream, the Allman Brothers Band, Return To Forever, Modern Jazz Quartet, Miles Davis' First Great Quintet, John Coltrane's Classic Quartet, the bands of Duke Ellington, and Count Basie, etc, etc, etc.

Well. I liked Zep in my youth, but it actually took until I got older when I REALLY appreciated just how good they are. Best band ever? Not sure. My top 3 are still:

-Beatles (3 major songwriters)
-Rolling Stones (Sheer breadth of their catalog is astounding)
-Zep

Back
Top Bottom