Great tone from CLR sounds like a blanket over a PRX712?

wknight2

Inspired
Hi folks, I could use some advice:

For years I've used a CLR Neo as a backline or personal monitor.

We've been getting more requests for private events where there is no sound system, so instead of using the rehearsal PA , I bought a new setup, Behringer XR18 with JBL PRX712s.

I was testing the new setup at full volume without my CLR on, to set my level coming from the XR18 into the new PRX712s.

It sounds like a blanket is over the PRX712. Turned the Out down to the PRX712, and turned Out2 up to the CLR, and my great tone was back.

When I say it sounds like a blanket is over the speaker, its the same issue I had when I first went down the FRFR route years ago, I had to try several options until I found the CLR, which sounds great on almost all the factory presets. On the PRX712, the sparkle and crispness and edge is missing from the tone. It sounds muddy and "digital" compared to the CLR. While I didn't expect it to sound exactly the same, I didn't expect the huge variation in tone. After 2 hours of playing through the PRX712s trying to figure out what was going on, I had ear fatigue, which I rarely have after 4 hours of playing through the CLRs.

Does anyone have any insight? While its great that the tone I hear from my CLR is terrific, its not translating into what the crowd hears.

I run my CLR in "Tilt" mode with the sub switch off.
On the Axe, copy LR and Echo 1-2 is set, so there should be exactly the same signal in Out 1 and 2.
Power amp and cab sims are on.
The PRX712 switch for Main or Monitor doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!
Ed

Did you try playing with the eq to get your highs back? Part of It could be your new gear needs to break in a bit.

The crossover freq is 1.8K

Try an EQ centered there. Lower the Q to get a broader application and put a bump up at 1.8K.

I appreciate the tip! I'm not as well versed in sound tech as I should be. I attached a screen shot of the EQ on my guitar mixer channel that I just added, is this what you mean?
dbb5hkqyt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 11.50.30 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 11.50.30 AM.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12
I appreciate the tip! I'm not as well versed in sound tech as I should be. I attached a screen shot of the EQ on my guitar mixer channel that I just added, is this what you mean?
dbb5hkqyt

That's the idea but I would use EQ on the mains not just one channel.

Put some full program material through both the PA and CLR's.

A and B

Use main EQ on the PA to get them sounding as close as possible.

Pick a track you know really well what it should sound like.

Usually one trouble spot is around the crossover freq. That is why I mentioned it.

Those JBL's will sound best if the horn is above your ear level maybe by a foot or so at least. Also, listen to them further back.

The coaxial and coplanar design of the CLR is better for being closer to the speaker than a speaker like the JBL where the LF and HF driver are separate.

Excellent tips, thank you, I really appreciate it! I'll also keep the program material running through the speakers for a few hours in case they need breaking in.

Back
Top Bottom