Great success with using pitch shifter to tune down

Yes, or make it a global block on the II.
I have a II, so I would love to set it globally. I need to read up more on the global settings. I read your "Incoming" thread before I got my II and I think there was some information in there about your global settings. I'll do a re-read on that tonight. Thanks Yek and Gira for the input.

The Axe II is capable of a lot more than I have learned to do with it yet!

Yes it is. I use global blocks because of that.
Example: I can put an Enhancer at the end of every preset, and set it to Global 1.
When I'm running mono, I bypass the block in one preset and it will apply to all presets that contain the Enhancer set to global 1.
Likewise, when running stereo, I engage the block in one preset and it wil be active in all presets which contain this global block.

OK, but you have to save the preset. I think Rick need the pitch shifting for only some songs, so he needs to switch it from the pedalboard.

OK, but you have to save the preset. I think Rick need the pitch shifting for only some songs, so he needs to switch it from the pedalboard.
I am actually thinking about incorporating the ability to do this in all my regular patches, so a global setting would be great. I honestly don't know how often I'll use it but our keyboard guy transposes all the time. I have a feeling it's more useful than it probably appears, we (guitarists) have just not had the option in a non-crappy sounding format! I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: Newbie question on global blocks... I don't have my Axe II here in front of me while brainstorming on a layout, so I wondered if someone can clarify. You can have up to 2 instances of a pitch block in a preset, and can only link to a matching instance. If you make the global pitchblock #2, for example, and then want to insert it into a patch that doesn't have a pitch block in it yet, can you insert a instance #2 before an instance #1 exists in that preset? I hope that makes sense...

Last edited:
This.
Or use Axe-Edit.
You would think that might have occurred to me, but it didn't! :eek:ops

Thanks, Alex. You are a huge help to everyone here and I really appreciate your time and generosity in sharing your experience! :D

Reactions: yek
you should be able to have tracking on zero if you set to local poly and get very little latency indeed. i tried an experiment to see if i could reduce latency using the look-ahead in the compressor set to 2ms. it does seem to feel better, but it could just as easily be the placebo effect. i just inserted the compressor with threshold at zero in the chain after the pitch shifter. i'd be interested if anybody else can feel the difference.

EDIT: as bakerman points out below...lookahead will increase latency...not reduce it....so ignore this patch (actually it's quite nice...just take out the compressor!)

Last edited:
you should be able to have tracking on zero if you set to local poly and get very little latency indeed. i tried an experiment to see if i could reduce latency using the look-ahead in the compressor set to 2ms. it does seem to feel better, but it could just as easily be the placebo effect. i just inserted the compressor with threshold at zero in the chain after the pitch shifter. i'd be interested if anybody else can feel the difference.

Not a bad idea in theory so I will try this tonight at my show and see what happens. I'll update over the weekend and let you guys know if it helps.

This would add latency; lookahead = delay.

SparkyG said:
Anthony

Where are you putting the pitch block?

I have been putting mine between amp and cab.

Thanks

I put the pitch block first. Seems right to me to downtune the guitar first.

I played around with the tracking for an entire day when i first started this thread. from what i can Hear and Feel, putting the tracking at about 1.81 is the closest and lowest latency. since i dont think it will ever be perfect, i find it hard to hear the minimal changes at around 1.81. thats the closest i can honestly hear and feel.

ive used this at my last 5 gigs and it works great for me. but we only play about 5 soings tuned down 1/2 step and all are moderate gain patches. i wonder how it will work with cleaner stuff. im eventually going to incorporate this globally. I just use an IA switch for this.

Putting it first in the chain does make a huge difference though. also, make sure your mix is at 100% and turn off one of the two voices otherwise you get a chorus effect.

Excellent Bolt,
I loaded this up it up in a Deluxe Reverb patch ( sort of clean ) and it is very good. On my high gain stuff I really did not notice any loss of gain.
Like Secrtet80's man...we are just looking to squeeze everything we can out of the AXII :)
This really is a HUGE new feature for me, thank you for sharing.

I played around with the tracking for an entire day when i first started this thread. from what i can Hear and Feel, putting the tracking at about 1.81 is the closest and lowest latency. since i dont think it will ever be perfect, i find it hard to hear the minimal changes at around 1.81. thats the closest i can honestly hear and feel.

ive used this at my last 5 gigs and it works great for me. but we only play about 5 soings tuned down 1/2 step and all are moderate gain patches. i wonder how it will work with cleaner stuff. im eventually going to incorporate this globally. I just use an IA switch for this.

Putting it first in the chain does make a huge difference though. also, make sure your mix is at 100% and turn off one of the two voices otherwise you get a chorus effect.

Back
Top Bottom