Great success with using pitch shifter to tune down

Awesome! You are a LIFESAVER my friend!!!

ok i just looked at it again...heres the actual settings.

use fixed harmony
on page 2 set voice 1 shift to -1 (for down half step)
voice 1 level to 100%
voice 2 level to zero (so the sound isnt doubled)
pitch track on
track adjust to 1.81 (if someone finds a better setting for this let me know, i could be off)

mix page
mix to 100%
level to 1.0

any parameter i didnt mention was left at the default

Anyone know if it is possible to do a quarter step ??
Playing a lot of the Dokken Under lock and Key album - most of which is a quarter step down...

Playing a lot of the Dokken Under lock and Key album - most of which is a quarter step down...
quarter step down?i know that Lynch used to tune his guitar E flat.,anyway Just play 'em 1/2 step down live

Last edited:
i just get this inf from a friend...

AH now thats a great great Q and one that i wondered about for a long time - then somebody told me what it was. So they had spoken with Jeff Pilson (can't recall who it was - one of my friends... It will come to me) and Jeff has explained that they used to tune to Piano pitch, which is slightly different to 440 tuning - hence its in between E and Eb.

I am going to try this today. Sometimes I play machine head songs and they are in C#? I tend to tune all my guitars e flat with 10-46’s. So dropping them that low for a few songs is not ideal. But with the magic black box it may be ok! :flushed::)

i just get this inf from a friend...

AH now thats a great great Q and one that i wondered about for a long time - then somebody told me what it was. So they had spoken with Jeff Pilson (can't recall who it was - one of my friends... It will come to me) and Jeff has explained that they used to tune to Piano pitch, which is slightly different to 440 tuning - hence its in between E and Eb.

Yeah - its fine to just do half a step for live/practice - but really annoying to try to play along with the real song !
Most of Under lock and Key is like that for some reason...
Anyway - I did try this and it does work - the slight delay can be hard to get used to - but it does sound pretty good !

Simple fix Jimmy, just get an editor like Adobe Audition, tune your guitar half step down, then tune the Dokken songs up or down to taste using their pitch adjustment. I do this all the time with cover tunes, for clients and for times when I just want a different flavor. Adobe has one of the best engines for handling this algorithm with the least amount of artifacts.

The artifact you guys are hearing with this pitch thing (though I'm not so sure what Pilson said about the piano is correct and I'll tell you why) is tape. Artists adjusted tape speed for various reasons. Some singers found they couldn't hit the notes in 440, so they dropped the tape pitch/speed a little to hit the notes.

Other times, a song done in a higher key just sounded better/meaner a little lower. Unchained, for example....theoretically, is in C# if you listen to it. But we all know Ed tuned 1/2 step down and played it in D. This is tape speed adjustment. My belief is, it's the same with the Dokken stuff. Sometimes Don didn't have such a good day and may have fallen short on some notes. They would sometimes drop the pitch, sing the parts, and then pitch the tape machine back up. If it didn't show forth any artifacts vocally, they left it. If it did, they tuned it back down as the instruments didn't suffer as much from the artifacts as the voice would.

Speaking of pitch, and I know this is an old thread....but here are the pitch block settings that work for me. Everything else in this thread as far as set up has been shared and what I do as well. What I didn't see, was the screen I'm sharing here. Anything under 5.00 in tracking picks up weird artifacts to me. The default 6.17 is great too, but I seem to notice a little latency as opposed to 5.00. Could be in my head though. But if you've not tried this setting, go for it and make sure the pitch block is first in your chain, fixed harm, one voice only set to -1, 100% mix, no delay, no detune, no feedback and then try this screen. It's the best I've been able to get. The only thing I'm not happy with, is what it does to my clean sound. Sort of watery, but definitely acceptable if you HAVE to use the pitch block in this manner.

Attachments

• Pitch Settings.JPG
    Pitch Settings.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 112
I just bought a Digitech DROP TUNE pedal. Works flawless. No delay, tracking perfect and no weird artifacts. First pedal I've bought in a decade because I use Fractal stuff.

I am going to try this today. Sometimes I play machine head songs and they are in C#? I tend to tune all my guitars e flat with 10-46’s. So dropping them that low for a few songs is not ideal. But with the magic black box it may be ok! :flushed::)
It's drop D down a minor third (3 frets). Plus, they calibrate the tuner +40 cents. B F# B E G# C#

In fw 2.02 I find the pitch block working great for a semitone or two down. I’ll pick up some snap/attack w the VOL block trick ( via short adsr). Works great!

In fw 2.02 I find the pitch block working great for a semitone or two down. I’ll pick up some snap/attack w the VOL block trick ( via short adsr). Works great!

Can you elaborate on this trick when you get a minute please? I'm wondering if it will help with clean tones using the pitch block like we've been talking about here. That's the only issue I seem to be having. Cleans are sort of dead when you first start to play....almost like they are lacking attack and are somewhat like when you play a synth and have the attack set high so it swells? It's not that bad, but that's the closest thing I can compare it to.

Set an alt path with VOL block (Parallel to pitch block), modifier on volume linked to adsr w 1ms for each step of adsr, w sustain at 3 ms. Lvl 100. Threshold to taste -33 to -16 depending on guitar. Make sure modifier is linked to correct ADSR.

It allows the short initial guitar string attack (~4-5 ms) through the volume block unpitched providing a percussive sound without tonality. I’m usually bring that back in around the front of the Drv block before the amp.

Helps to mask latency and gives a percussive attack.

Credit @simeon and @yek for this tip.

You can use the voice detune control to adjust pitch between full steps. You can leave voice shift at 0 and drop the voice detune to -25 cents for a quarter step (voice detune has a range of +/- half a step). Simple math is one note interval (one full step) equals 100 cents.

For AC/DC's Highway to Hell, I set voice to -1 and then increased voice detune to 40.4 and it sounds perfectly in tune. I could have also left voice at 0 and decreased voice detune to -9.6 cents to get to the same pitch.

Edit: When I say full step, I mean a full semi-tone. !2 semitones is one octave or 1200 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom