Great replacement fan

MNG

Inspired
I have a 2nd Axe II for home use and the fan was very noisy, way more so than my other unit. You could hear it 20-30 feet away and even hear it over headphones when playing quiet passages. The issue was that of transfer of vibration into the Axe chassis as opposed to the fan itself.

I have now replaced the fan with NB-Multiframe M8-I by Blacknoise Technologies, which is a reference IT fan for vibration free mounting. I thought I was onto a winner when it arrived because the frame is made out of a very soft rubber rather than the hard plastic of the original.

Now you really cannot even tell that the Axe has a fan inside, it is practically silent. The difference is astounding and I thought worth a mention for anyone looking for a quieter fan.

Dimensions: 80x80x25mm
Speed (+- 10%): 1200rpm
Airflow: 30m³/h
Noise level: Not measurable at 100cm distance, at 25cm 6dB(A)
Voltage range: 5-13,8V
Starting voltage: 5V
Power consumption: 1,2W
Warranty: 6 years

A fairly normal 'quiet' fan hard plastic inner assembly but just changing the surround to rubber lowers the frequency of any vibration whine so audible resonance is reduced in the lid/chassis of the Axe .... such a simple solution really.

The whole mount is made of a very soft silicon rubber type material and it takes a bit of working to get it down onto the mounting screws on the Axe, but it does completely eradicate any vibrations into the lid of the Axe which was the issue I was having. The Axe is damn near silent now - so much so I think there is a good chance of forgetting to switch it off! You can only hear anything if you put your ear right up to the unit, and who does that?

I can't take any credit for finding the fan since it was recommended by G66, which also gives a bit more comfort as to whether it is up to the job or not I think.

The whole mount is made of a very soft silicon rubber type material and it takes a bit of working to get it down onto the mounting screws on the Axe, but it does completely eradicate any vibrations into the lid of the Axe which was the issue I was having. The Axe is damn near silent now - so much so I think there is a good chance of forgetting to switch it off! You can only hear anything if you put your ear right up to the unit, and who does that?

I can't take any credit for finding the fan since it was recommended by G66, which also gives a bit more comfort as to whether it is up to the job or not I think.

Where can you find this fan (especially in North America)?

Google points te several "NB-Multiframe" fans, including M8-S1, M8-S3, but zero hits for M8-I. Those appear to be made by a company called "Noiseblocker"

A Google search for the company "Blacknoise Technologies" returns nothing that seems directly related. When searching for "Noiseblocker", more hits are found, but searching for Noiseblocker *and* M8-I returns nothing.

Does the NB-Multiframe M8-I by Blacknoise Technologies really exist? Where?

Thanks fpor posting this. I've found my fan to be a bit noisy as well, so I'm thinking of replacing it myself. Will have a look into it and let you know what I came up with

Where can you find this fan (especially in North America)?

Google points te several "NB-Multiframe" fans, including M8-S1, M8-S3, but zero hits for M8-I. Those appear to be made by a company called "Noiseblocker"

A Google search for the company "Blacknoise Technologies" returns nothing that seems directly related. When searching for "Noiseblocker", more hits are found, but searching for Noiseblocker *and* M8-I returns nothing.

Does the NB-Multiframe M8-I by Blacknoise Technologies really exist? Where?

To the OP: did you really mean the Noiseblocker Multiframe M8-S1?

If so, it is here: Amazon.com: Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M8-S1 80mm x 25mm Ultra Silent Fan - 1200 RPM - 6 dBA: Computers & Accessories

The link posted by PacoCasanovas is the one - the one pictured. It says M8-1 on the actual fan itself although it looks like M8-I on the box. I only posted after I'd fitted it and so went by what was on the box, sorry for any confusion.

Daikon, that spec is correct although it says 7.8 dBA on the box, not that you'd hear the difference.

Last edited:
There's a guy selling them on ebay I only found it after Amazon wouldn't sell it to me in Australia. This guy does international shipping though. Mine is on its way...

Back
Top Bottom