Great power amp options for axe fx3?

I can understand that some people buy a power amp to play with a cab to try to approach a standard combinaison, but recording /micking a cab owning the 3… I don’t get it 😅. are you not satisfied with the millions of irs available ?
This is just a by-product of my day-1 test drive for that poweramp, which I got just on the day of the post.
Wanted to hear how it sounds like when mic’ed up to judge if I’d really prefer that over DI from the AXE. I also shot the IRs to do that comparison:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/free-irs-marshall-1960a-impulse-responses.185657/

I can understand that some people buy a power amp to play with a cab to try to approach a standard combinaison, but recording /micking a cab owning the 3… I don’t get it 😅. are you not satisfied with the millions of irs available ?
I think the power amp solution come in handy when playing small stages and/or when the PA/monitoring don't sound the best. Another reason for doing this is to get the physical experience with the music. I tend to get a lot more invested in the music and play better when I feel the actual sound hitting my body. I'm kind of old-school in some ways.

But sure, when my band and I can afford in ears, I will make the switch. It's so expensive dragging so much gear around.

But I also agree with you, there are a lot of good options on the IR front.

I’ve tried a bunch of them, and my weapon of choice at the moment is the GR AT G210A ST. Loud, lightweight, great frequency separation and absolutely able to move a lot of air….
Wish I could find a place in the U.S. to buy one to try out. Sonata Marketing LTD, the US distributor for GR Guitar, doesn't even have the AT G210A ST on their US Retail Price List.

Don't "settle", yo!

FYI, the lack of that "tube color thing" that you describe is what many people dislike about playing through solid state devices. It's possible to get tube-like tone and response with many of the amps out there, but not everything is created equal and I highly recommend you try a few solutions out to decide what works best for you.

For me it was the Orange Pedal Baby 100. I decided to do a shoot-out with between it, a Matrix 1000, and an SD Power Stage 170 when I was looking for a power amp. I had bought the Matrix because that's what everyone seemed to recommend/play and talked up the most, and I went in to the exercise fairly convinced that the Matrix was gonna demolish every other unit I put next to it, but after a side-by side comparison, the Orange won hands-down. For me, my needs, and what I thought an amp should sound like, that is.

Definitely consider ordering a few boxes that you're interested in, spend a bit of time playing around with them, and then return the ones that don't live up to your expectations.
Do you leave power amp modeling on or off?

I have a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200.

It is crap. I don't really like how it feels to play through, nor how it sounds.
What power amps would you recommend? I have the PS 200 and love it so far. I have not compared it to anything else, for better or worse.

I had good results with Seymour Duncan PowerStages (both 170 and 700). I’m currently using a Boss Tube Amp Expander and it‘s been great.
I use a Boss TAE as well to power traditional guitar cabinets. I find that for some reason the tone is better with the AXE 3 power amp section turned off as the Boss TAE gives it enough girth without needing the power amp section activated on the AXE 3. When on it is way too bassy for my liking.

I use a Boss TAE as well to power traditional guitar cabinets. I find that for some reason the tone is better with the AXE 3 power amp section turned off as the Boss TAE gives it enough girth without needing the power amp section activated on the AXE 3. When on it is way too bassy for my liking.
I haven't tried it with the power amp turned off. I'll definitely give that a shot.

Question. Is it ok to run separate power amps into output 1 l/R each with it's own traditional cab and 2 powered frfrs into output 2 l/R. It seems it would be ok sense I can use 2 powered frfrs into output 1 or 2 in L/R. I am dying to try this for a reall good mix of sounds and frequencies if it's possible. Thanks

I take this back slightly. I've managed to dial in my patches to sound and feel a bit better through the PS200.
You may already know this, but make sure the cab modeling is off on the PS200 and that all the EQ knobs are at noon.

I'm on the search for a power amp as well. In my ideal world, I'd leave power amp modeling on, as I want to send output 1 to FOH - and I do not want to eat up an amp block to make two signals. (one with power amp modeling on, one with it off.)

I own a Seymour Duncan PS-170 and a Fryette PS-2. I actually kinda like the PS-170 over the Fryette, but for my AXE-FXIII I want something that fits the following criteria:

1) Is currently available (That excludes a Matrix or the Fryette LX-2.)
2) Is 1 RU rack mountable. (The excludes the PA50, PS 170, 200, and 700)
3) Has a power switch on the front and connections on the back. (Excludes the PS700)
4) Isn't too heavy - almost all the tube options are 20+ pounds.

Price isn't too much of a deal breaker - especially if it meets all my criteria above. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Have a look at the Carvin LT2000.
  • Single space (1U) frame
  • 2-ohm capable
  • 340W RMS (per channel) into 8 ohms
  • 580W RMS (per channel) into 4 ohms
  • 2010W into 4 ohms (bridged)
  • Weight: 19.8 lb.

christmas-sale11_800x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom