Great power amp options for axe fx3?

Depends on the amp. The syn5050 (and LXII, and power station, all slightly different versions of the same thing) are meant to be quite linear and hifi sounding for a tube amp. The power station for instance, has to be if you think of its intended use case - loading down a full amp and then reamping with its internal power amp. I’d love to try one but I’m pretty happy with my matrix gt1000.

I also have a fryette 2/50/2 and it is fairly linear compared to other tube power amps I’ve used (like Mesa) but it still has its own sound and will hype up lows and highs to an extent. That may or may not work depending on the model you use and the sound you want.

Using my Mesa rectifier’s FX return for instance sounds really cool but it has the ‘Mesa sound’ which it adds to everything. Very ‘colored’ poweramp.
Even a really flat amp like a PS2 has an impedance curve so you will either want to disable power amp modeling on the Axe or customize the impedance response in the speaker settings on the amp to reduce an overly emphasized effect due to the real amp doing it on its own combined with the simulated effect on the Axe.

My Matrix GT1000FX has been collecting dust ever since I picked up the Fryette LXII. I like to use a real guitar cab and the Matrix sounded fine but always had something lacking to it. A tube power amp (the LXII) was the solution in my case. The only thing to keep in mind is the LXII does have audible fan noise. But at louder volumes you won't notice it.

I've been running an Orange Pedalbaby 100 for the past year and am very, very happy with how it sounds. I run mine into a Bogner 212CB with Marshall V30 UK speakers or a Bogner Cube with the same speaker.

Even a really flat amp like a PS2 has an impedance curve so you will either want to disable power amp modeling on the Axe or customize the impedance response in the speaker settings on the amp to reduce an overly emphasized effect due to the real amp doing it on its own combined with the simulated effect on the Axe.
I use a Fryette PS100 and keep the power amp modeling on. It’s as flat of a tube power amp as you can get.

I've been running an Orange Pedalbaby 100 for the past year and am very, very happy with how it sounds. I run mine into a Bogner 212CB with Marshall V30 UK speakers or a Bogner Cube with the same speaker.
keep hearing great things about this one with modellers into real cabs - will have to give it a try - expensive though, as 2 needed for a stereo solution

I use a Fryette PS100 and keep the power amp modeling on. It’s as flat of a tube power amp as you can get.
I know, I have a PS2, And I am an EE also. So, whether you like it or not; because it is a tube amp the PS100 has an impedance curve associated with it that will interfere with the Axe’s modeing of the same response of the same effect; making your rig’s response significantly less accurate if you do not account for it. That is the downside to using tubes with the Axe unless you defeat power amp modeling.

Once you get it all tweaked a flat tube power amp like the Fryette’s can be superb, though.

I use a Crown XLS 1502 in to a traditional 4x12. 2U, but lightweight, and inexpensive enough if you need to carry a spare.

I know, I have a PS2, And I am an EE also. So, whether you like it or not; because it is a tube amp the PS100 has an impedance curve associated with it that will interfere with the Axe’s modeing of the same response of the same effect; making your rig’s response significantly less accurate if you do not account for it. That is the downside to using tubes with the Axe unless you defeat power amp modeling.

Once you get it all tweaked a flat tube power amp like the Fryette’s can be superb, though.
Honestly your cab plays a part in it too so I don't bother tweaking further and just let it be. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

Considering my setup here too -- have the Axe FX 3 in a 4U gator bag. Debating the Matrix G1000 vs the PS 200 - really would love to spend less to get a sense of the "cab" experience, as I've never done it, but also like the idea of having everything in one bag. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have had an Lxii quite a while now. It is by far the best power amp I have used with the Axe FX. I've had Matrix power amps and used powered Friedman Cabs and they never quite cut it for me.

Considering my setup here too -- have the Axe FX 3 in a 4U gator bag. Debating the Matrix G1000 vs the PS 200 - really would love to spend less to get a sense of the "cab" experience, as I've never done it, but also like the idea of having everything in one bag. Thoughts?
The PS rack mount is a little strange, it's not 1u

I use a Crown XLS 1502 in to a traditional 4x12. 2U, but lightweight, and inexpensive enough if you need to carry a spare.

I use a Crown XLS 700 into 2 4x12s. Totally thrilled with how it sounds.

I've used tube power amps. They're great, but you have to understand that you're going wonky with adding that on top of Axe tube amp modelling. Turning off power-amp modelling on the Axe ... yeah, just quit guitar. But if you don't care, it can be monster.

I've tried last generation class D. Totally disappointing. Maybe the new stuff is better?

Anyways... the crown XLS series.

SS: Unless you really need the extra volume, PS170 is the way to go. Sounds as good if not better than the Matrix GT1000 with less noise. If you can make the switch to FRFR, I've been incredibly impressed with the XiTone 112 cab. It's clear as a bell and loud af if you want it to be.

Tube: all are going to add some color. Haven't tried the LXII, but other Fryette stuff has been great. DON'T SLEEP ON THE KSR PA50. It's all kinds of tube badass in a 50w small box with a hi-fi mode that's legit with poweramp modeling.

Anyways... the crown XLS series.

When I decided my Headrush 112 wasn’t going to get me there, I went with a F12 Celestion. So needing an amp I looked locally 1st. A guy was selling a XLS1000 pretty cheap. Bought that and very happy with it. Nothing to compare it to but really it sounds great into the F12 or my 212 cab. Jimmy Herring uses 2 XLS1000 amps in his wet setup.

Don't "settle", yo!

FYI, the lack of that "tube color thing" that you describe is what many people dislike about playing through solid state devices. It's possible to get tube-like tone and response with many of the amps out there, but not everything is created equal and I highly recommend you try a few solutions out to decide what works best for you.

For me it was the Orange Pedal Baby 100. I decided to do a shoot-out with between it, a Matrix 1000, and an SD Power Stage 170 when I was looking for a power amp. I had bought the Matrix because that's what everyone seemed to recommend/play and talked up the most, and I went in to the exercise fairly convinced that the Matrix was gonna demolish every other unit I put next to it, but after a side-by side comparison, the Orange won hands-down. For me, my needs, and what I thought an amp should sound like, that is.

Definitely consider ordering a few boxes that you're interested in, spend a bit of time playing around with them, and then return the ones that don't live up to your expectations.

Are some of you using a Mesa 2:90 into a Marshall cab 4x12? I have no idea about how much and in which way such amp « colours » the sound

I tried a Thomann S-75mk2 and pretty liked it. Here's the sound clip of me with it:

They produce a good poweramp for PA at around $100-200, so it would be a good affordable options for those who cannot afford Matrixs
https://www.thomannmusic.com/tamp_s75.htm
https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_tamp_amplifiers.html

I can understand that some people buy a power amp to play with a cab to try to approach a standard combinaison, but recording /micking a cab owning the 3… I don’t get it 😅. are you not satisfied with the millions of irs available ?

Back
Top Bottom