Great power amp options for axe fx3?

Lalva23re

Hey there everyone I need some help. I just purchased my first Axe (AxeFX 3 MK 2) earlier this year and have been trying to complete my setup, but I am having trouble deciding on the power amp to pair it with. I will be using a diesel 4x12 Cab with my axe. Originally I wanted the matrix GT1600fx but those are out of stock and was told by matrix they will be out of stock for a long time. They do have the gt1000fx 1u unit available at the moment but not sure if this is the one I should settle for. Ive seen other notable mentions like Crown, Seymour Duncan powerstage, Tc electronics. I just don't know which brand let alone model is the right one. was looking for a solid state amp so that the sound isn't colored in anyway by real tubes. I am a noob with this stuff but I would really like some help with this.

Totally happy with my matrix gt1000fx. Delivering enough power for two 4x12 cabs (for the af3 of my band buddy and also my own one) in the rehearsal room but also om stage. Lightweight compared to cheaper ones, and rather neutral. However, have not compared to Fayette, Seymour Duncan or other mid or higher price range models.

There are tons of threads on this topic, but the short of it is that the gt1000fx is a great choice. You really wouldn’t need the extra wattage of the 1600 unless you intend to power multiple cabinets or you are a bass player. The one trade off of the 1u version is that the fans are loud. This is not a problem at gig volumes, but for home or studio use may be annoying.

Last edited:
There are tons of threads on this topic, but the short of it is that the gt1000fx is a great choice. You really wouldn’t need the extra wattage of the 1600 unless you intend to power multiple cabinets or you are a bass player. The one trade off of the 1u version is that the fans are loud this is not a problem at gig volumes, but for home or studio use may be
Indeed, the fan is really noticeable at home and studio environment, however my af3's fan is just a bit less noisy... ;-) (well, not really the same level but still to be heard as well at home)

There are tons of threads on this topic, but the short of it is that the gt1000fx is a great choice. You really wouldn’t need the extra wattage of the 1600 unless you intend to power multiple cabinets or you are a bass player. The one trade off of the 1u version is that the fans are loud. This is not a problem at gig volumes, but for home or studio use may be annoying.
Hey I appreciate the reply. I will look for those threads. Im new to this forum so I wasn't sure where to look. Yeah I'm not going to be recording or anything anytime soon. I will mainly be using it just to practice / play riffs. I am pretty convinced then that this is the one I should get.

Totally happy with my matrix gt1000fx. Delivering enough power for two 4x12 cabs (for the af3 of my band buddy and also my own one) in the rehearsal room but also om stage. Lightweight compared to cheaper ones, and rather neutral. However, have not compared to Fayette, Seymour Duncan or other mid or higher price range models.
Hey there Ryan, thanks for the reply. Yeah I don't know much about the other brands to know either. I was considering a crown 2502 because it seemed like a direct competitor to the gt1000. Haven't seen any reviews or videos of it paired with an axe for some play through so I was unsure.

I just bought a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700, and I am running that into a Splawn 212 with V30/Creambacks. Lots of power, Stereo amp. 3 band shelving EQ on the front is nice, allows for some quick broad Adjustments.

It does have some very odd design philosophies though, it's 1.5 rack units, switch is on the back, and inputs are on the front. I also run an Aphex Aural Exciter with Big Bottom Pedal in between the Axe III and Powerstage 700 for low volume playing. Pedal adds a depth, makes everything sound better, when adjusted right it sounds amazing.

I'm using a Powerstage 200 to power a Celestion F12-200X. I'm quite happy with this amp. Its plenty loud in a band setting and I really like the convenience of the EQ knobs for quick tweaks.

I also have a GT1000. It also works well but in some cases I find it a little harsh in the upper mids (with the F12-200x and real 2x12 cabs)... well at least that is what my ears tell me these days. Its all subjective - that's why the gear quest never seems to end.

My point, if you can get your hands on a PowerStage it may be worth a listen.

I had the Matrix GT1000. Nice power amp. I currently use the SD power stage - depending on the gig and the AX device I would bring - a 200 or 700 for Fm9 or A3. They are great solutions. The SD have a slightly better sound than the Matrix and enough power. The 200 is not THAT loud but it is loud enough. A lot more with the 700. The nice thing about the Duncans is they are quite and also really convenient esp the 200. I got both of them for the price of a Matrix so there is that. All good products here.

I find it a little harsh in the upper mids (with the F12-200x and real 2x12 cabs)... well at least that is what my ears tell me these days.
same perception here but could be the FR cabs I'm using with it (Old Atomic Reactor Passives).

I use the Matrix GT1000FX with traditional guitar cabs loaded with Celestion Alnico Creambacks and I am very happy with it.

Had a Engl 830/50 ,Peavey 50/50 ,Mesa 20/20 ,GT1000FX and now ended on a Synergy 50/50 and be totaly happy now :)
Using Coffee Lungo 4x12 with 2 V30 and 2 K100. Sounds killer in my ears :)
I sold The GT1000 because i found it too flat...because i like the sound of real guitar cabs...FRFR or somthing isn`t for me... :)

Had a Engl 830/50 ,Peavey 50/50 ,Mesa 20/20 ,GT1000FX and now ended on a Synergy 50/50 and be totaly happy now :)
I sold The GT1000 because i found it too flat...because i like the sound of real guitar cabs...FRFR or somthing isn`t for me... :)
how hot does the Synergy 50/50 get? do you have it in a rack with your AXE?

The Synergy 50/50 looks like sweet. I don't like simulating cabs either which is why I have my 4x12 cab. As far as tone goes, I thought I read tube power amps will change the sound of whatever amp that is trying to be replicated? That's the only reason why Matrix is top of the list for me because the solid state power amps get as close as possible for replication because there are no tubes to hinder the sound a bit. Otherwise, finding a mesa 2:90, fryette, or an engle tube rack power amp would be up on my list.

The Synergy 50/50 looks like sweet. I don't like simulating cabs either which is why I have my 4x12 cab. As far as tone goes, I thought I read tube power amps will change the sound of whatever amp that is trying to be replicated? That's the only reason why Matrix is top of the list for me because the solid state power amps get as close as possible for replication because there are no tubes to hinder the sound a bit. Otherwise, finding a mesa 2:90, fryette, or an engle tube rack power amp would be up on my list.

Depends on the amp. The syn5050 (and LXII, and power station, all slightly different versions of the same thing) are meant to be quite linear and hifi sounding for a tube amp. The power station for instance, has to be if you think of its intended use case - loading down a full amp and then reamping with its internal power amp. I’d love to try one but I’m pretty happy with my matrix gt1000.

I also have a fryette 2/50/2 and it is fairly linear compared to other tube power amps I’ve used (like Mesa) but it still has its own sound and will hype up lows and highs to an extent. That may or may not work depending on the model you use and the sound you want.

Using my Mesa rectifier’s FX return for instance sounds really cool but it has the ‘Mesa sound’ which it adds to everything. Very ‘colored’ poweramp.

been using the matrix forever, and you really just cant go wrong. I've dropped it down stairs, thrown every sort of sound at it, and it just works wonderfully. I don't have the 1600 and I can still power a full stack too.

I’ve tried a bunch of them, and my weapon of choice at the moment is the GR AT G210A ST. Loud, lightweight, great frequency separation and absolutely able to move a lot of air….

Unsing a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 with a Mesa 1x12 mini recto cab.

I play only at home, so I do not need loud volumes. It sounds pretty transparent to me.

tried the Axe Fx III with both my Adam A7x and my Adam s2v monitor speakers, but for a reason I prefer much better to run the Axe through the guitar cab over the FRFR, even at low room volumes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom