Great Idea: Saves Tap Dancing

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Thought to share Cooper Carter's experience with the FM9, and it made perfect sense to try this:

Within FM9-Edit, you can edit your presets page so that whenever you footswitch to your desired preset, the tap will take you directly to your scenes within that preset. You can do that for how many presets you have lined on one layout, and add banks for up/down as needed.

Here's how:
Visit FM9-Edit and your presets or perform page (where you have your preferred presets). Over on the lower right of FM9-Edit there's a small tab that says "Edit Links.' Click on that and then select the layout you typically use for scenes so that each of your presets will default to whatever scene you designate. X out of that and repeat for each of your presets on your preset or perform layouts.

SAVES tap dancing to arrive at scenes and helps reduce the number of toggle/hold footswitch functions in each layout. I've currently got layout 3 (usually More Scenes) virtually empty and am wondering how to work with it more effectively. Layout 1 is Scenes & FX, Layout 2 is Scenes, Layouts 4 and 5 are designated as FX, Layout 6 is Looper and Layouts 7 and 8 are Perform (User Presets) & Control Switches.

Here's CC's video that describes this plus additional useful info.

Works on the Axe III too, makes a ton of sense, it's what I've been doing for a while.
What to do with one of my layouts now? It's virtually unused and could be consolidated for something else...I don't use it for scenes 4 through 8 or anything. You can also use Edit Link to create a HOLD function for each preset that will bring you back to a separate layout (in my instance, layout 7, where my presets and bank up/down reside.).

Doh! I think I need to do that in my Scenes layout, not my presets page...

Just spent a good couple hours re-working my layouts. Re-wrote my 1 & 2 layout as FACTORY 1 & 2 presets, with choice numeric presets and banks of +1/-1 with which to scroll through. Layout 3 is my 4 scenes layout and includes << FX >> which directs to layouts 4 & 5 (FX & FX MORE), then looper and tap tempo, and on the lower tier, CS 1>4 which directs to layout 8 (Utilities), and lastly a PERFORM/HOME switch which returns me to Layout 7 and my first user preset.

All works efficiently and as it should. The "garage" time paid off. Fine-tuned and ready to roll again.

The FACTORY 1 & FACTORY 2 presets (Layouts 1 & 2) , each of the 3 presets in these layouts all contain 'Edit Link' Hold > PERFORM (Layout 7) ability; meaning, whenever any FACTORY preset is held, the switch directs the screen to layout 7/PERFORM. If the switch is held, it switches back to the previous preset.

In PERFORM (Layout 7), each of the user presets contain 'Edit Link' Toggle > SCENES (Layout 3) ability; meaning, whenever any of the user presets in PERFORM are toggled, they default to SCENES (Layout 3). If the switch is held, it switches back to the previous preset.

Much more efficient, though when written, it sounds like gobbledegook. Will post each layout later this evening and also copy each layout to HD as a backup for future reference.

Last edited:
What to do with one of my layouts now?
Don't need to use them all...

I have my main layout, which is mostly scenes plus tap tempo/tuner and a switch to jump to my Presets layout.

Preset layout is completely for selecting presets, all of which then jump back to my main layout.

I have as Looper layout with a small selection of scenes.

And I have a Layout for enabling/disabling (hold) effects and changing channels on them (tap).

That's it... Other layouts are empty. :)

Don't need to use them all...

I have my main layout, which is mostly scenes plus tap tempo/tuner and a switch to jump to my Presets layout.

Preset layout is completely for selecting presets, all of which then jump back to my main layout.

I have as Looper layout with a small selection of scenes.

And I have a Layout for enabling/disabling (hold) effects and changing channels on them (tap).

That's it... Other layouts are empty. :)
Amazing. It's interesting that we can simply our needs by simply getting rid of the excess or unnecessary.

Regards my FM9, the 1st two layouts were reserved for choice presets, with options for bank increase/decrease 3 preset numbers at a time. While I may find myself wandering from what I was familiar with, I've always got my reference switch (PERFORM/HOME) that brings me back to layout 7 and my original user preset I've named MAIN RIG.

Each of the presets, be they factory or user, default to the 1st 4 scenes of each preset when you activate the preset. And each of the 4 scenes will default to layout 7 (PERFORM) when you HOLD them. The Edit Link feature makes this possible, and is a good feature for simplifying extraneous FM9 workflow.

This may sound a tad scary, but I just had a strong sense of dejá vú, that I'd written something similar regards an effects board many years ago. Perhaps it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I sensed that I had written what I'm writing now over 5 or 10 years ago, long before I even heard of Fractal, modelers, or the like. It's been happening more often than I care to mention, and it's not short-term memory loss, substance-related or illness.

Random note - one thing I noticed about the OFMG9 layout is that the preset layout – the bank up and down actually default to just 'destination' which means that it shows the same bank number. For example, the up switch shows Bank 074 and down switch shows Bank 074. This seemed weird to me, so in FM9 Edit, I changed it to custom and voila, it showed bank up and bank down, which seems like what was intended.

Random note - one thing I noticed about the OFMG9 layout is that the preset layout – the bank up and down actually default to just 'destination' which means that it shows the same bank number. For example, the up switch shows Bank 074 and down switch shows Bank 074. This seemed weird to me, so in FM9 Edit, I changed it to custom and voila, it showed bank up and bank down, which seems like what was intended.
This. For example, if perhaps you set one of the switches to bank up with an increment of +1 and bank size 3, you'll need to be sure the label reads "Action" rather than "Destination." Then, you can customize the label to read BANK +1 and BANK -1 as needed. "Destination" is a location, whereas "Action" sets things in motion with the parameters regards Category and Type above.

Back
Top Bottom