Great idea for used acoustic strings!

Rick

Axe-Master
I was reading an email from Carvin today, and ran across a great option for what to do with your used acoustic strings:

Donate them to players in places where strings are not available, are too costly, etc!

Second String Project http://www.darrylpurpose.com/second-strings-project/

These folks will help get your used strings (acoustic from what I saw, but there is a link to email and ask about electric strings if you'd like). Most of us change strings while they still have life in them, and what a great way to keep them out of the landfill. There is also a link to the FB page, so you can like them and help spread the word. Worthwhile cause you can support for just the cost of postage.

This is a great idea. When I was in Madagascar about a decade ago, I was in the airport leaving after my trip, and carrying my guitar. I was approached by a very poor looking man, and as I was getting ready for him to ask for any spare change, he asked if I had any spare strings. He played guitar and couldn't afford strings. I gave him the strings off my guitar and the three extra sets I had on me. I still send him strings to this day - he doesn't have an address, but he has a friend that worked at the airport that lets me send them to him via the friend.

Kudos to this group for going above and beyond, i'll gladly sign up.

Yeah, I never really gave it much thought but this struck me as a innovative and caring option. Hats off to those guys.

I don't suppose it would be a bad thing to send new strings, if you have a spare set or two hanging around. I'm sending in a few sets myself. I like the idea of a player somewhere getting a boost from something so simple. :)

Back
Top Bottom