Great gig with my Axe 2 last night

Jvstrat

Experienced
I did some tweaking before a gig last night that had me grinning ear to ear all night. I decided instead of just dialing my presets in on my Yamaha HS80 studio monitors, I would also plug in my Ev elx112p frfr cab. This made all the difference in the world. I ended up using Scott Peterson's Bandmaster clean preset with modified effects, modified factory JCM800 Mod, and FAS Lead 2 slightly modified. I love this black box and that's why my tube amps have been long gone and I only use the Axe 2 and my Axe Standard. Cliff and the rest of the crew rock.

It is amazing and will keep getting better. To me I have sat at music stores playing around with real tube Marshalls and not getting the sound I want, but do with the axe. I guess die hard tube guys are too used to the amp in the room sound. I have 2 friends that have the axe, one loves it, and the other likes it, but not as much as tube amps. I don't think he has a good frfr to dial in tones though.

..... I decided instead of just dialing my presets in on my Yamaha HS80 studio monitors, I would also plug in my Ev elx112p frfr cab. This made all the difference in the world......

Just curious, was this because you dialed in using a compromise between the Yamaha's and EV's or because the EV (frfr cab) reacted with your guitar and that influenced how you dialed in?

Just curious, was this because you dialed in using a compromise between the Yamaha's and EV's or because the EV (frfr cab) reacted with your guitar and that influenced how you dialed in?

I think some of both reasons. See the Yamaha monitors are great, but even though they are 8 inch speakers, what you dial in on those will sound different front of house and monitor since we are talking 12 to 15 inch speakers. When tweaking on on the Yamahas I think the impulses and amp settings I was trying would be dialed in with too much low end and it didnt cut the mix. For example some stock presets I thought were thin sounding sounded great with the combo of the ev and yamahas. I had a Scott Peterson Aha moment last night for sure.

Back
Top Bottom