Great gig, but funny comments

Cainer

Experienced
Just played a Blues Fest club gig tonight and had an absolute blast - the Superverb and Bassman amps are just the tits.

Guy #1 comes up to me and says "your whole sound is coming out of that box?!? That's the best guitar tone I've ever heard in my life!"
Literally five minutes later, guy #2 says with a hint of disgust "oh, you're going entirely digital, eh?" * big sigh* "I wish you were playing your Super Reverb."

So you just never know what people are going to say about using a digital modeler. Maybe for blues crowds it's a little more of a stigma, as they're often into the vintage vibe etc.

In any case, I f'ing loved playing through it and as far as I'm concerned the tone is killer!!

You've really summed it up. It can definitly polarise muso's and the public alike. At the end of the day though, if you're getting off on it - then it is all goodness. Sooner or later, this is how most people will be playing I think ...

I've had similar experiences at a gig... One guy actually was amazed at how I was able to nail the tones of so many different artists, but then commented he'd like to hear me through a regular amp, that would be much better.... I was like; huh?

What's funny... "we" as players put our gear through FAR more scrutiny. (Generally speaking) The player is usually more conceared about the tone than the audience, if it didn't sound that good to us, we wouldn't get on stage with it. Period.

So true its easy to worry about your tone. Twisting knobs is easier than practicing scales and theory. In the end though, the show, entertainment and talent are what matter. So long as you have a somewhat decent tone. Really bad tone can of course effect the band and show.

Last edited:
Black-Veil-Brides-fake-cabs.jpg

I think I will buy 1 or 2 of those mini-fridges that look like Marshall amps and put them behind me on stage.
When I get compliments on my killer tone coming out of the AX8, I will thank them and pull out a beer from the fridge as a token of appreciation.

Blues Festival? ........... oh no ...... only a beat up guitar, 2 year old strings, age-cracked instrument cable with rusty jacks and a wheezing combo with a loose tube and ripped speaker cloth will do!

The singer in my last band loved my tone, hated that I didn't have a "stack" because stacks "look cool". Sigh...

I've had similar experiences at a gig... One guy actually was amazed at how I was able to nail the tones of so many different artists, but then commented he'd like to hear me through a regular amp, that would be much better.... I was like; huh?

What's funny... "we" as players put our gear through FAR more scrutiny. (Generally speaking) The player is usually more conceared about the tone than the audience, if it didn't sound that good to us, we wouldn't get on stage with it. Period.
Some chumps build their ego on a foundation of complaint. It may be a useful distraction that they can whine about the amp or lack thereof, and don't dis your guitar or worse.

The singer in my last band loved my tone, hated that I didn't have a "stack" because stacks "look cool". Sigh...
You could hand him a couple of spuds and a cucumber and say " put these in your pants and it will look cool"

Last edited:
The compliment on tone is the one that matters to me. I've had a few skeptical FOH engineers raise and eyebrow when they've look at my band's tech rider. All I ask for is a pair of XLR lines. No mics. No stands. Some of those guys say things like "I've had bands in here with modelers before, and it didn't sound good direct". I ask them to give it a try. I have had so many FOH operators tell me "that is the best guitar tone I've ever had at the mixing board!".

As for the second comment... yep, in the studio I've had producers say something like "man, I bet you'd sound better through a Two Rock / Dumble / Matchless / etc". I tell them to go get that amp out, and then we A / B the AxeFX against the boutique amp. There are times when the actual tube amp is a teensy bit better, but honestly in over 90% of the comparisons, the AxeFX sounds better, is more reliable, and is MUCH more consistent between takes.

I've played several gigs in a bar around South Bend, IN. Each time the same guy comes up to me in between sets and says he cannot hear my guitar thru the mains when standing in the back of the room. Same guy each time, "because you don't have an amp it's not 'throwing' the sound to the back of the room". Then I will have several people tell me how good my tone sounds, how it stands out in the mix, etc. I think the guy is a tube-amp junkie (like the rest of us) and simply can't come around to digital. If I ever play that gig again I will see the guy coming and say, "I know, you can't hear me but everyone else says it sounds great". Sometimes it's hard not to be a jerk to these guys. But I try,

I think I will buy 1 or 2 of those mini-fridges that look like Marshall amps and put them behind me on stage.
When I get compliments on my killer tone coming out of the AX8, I will thank them and pull out a beer from the fridge as a token of appreciation.
Where you can get those, killer idea IMHO

I had an audition for playing in a band yesterday. The song to play was comfortably numb by pink Floyd...
I started the backing track and started playing over it... The guy asked me "don't you play?" ^^ he thought it was the original song i guess ^^

I had an audition for playing in a band yesterday. The song to play was comfortably numb by pink Floyd...
I started the backing track and started playing over it... The guy asked me "don't you play?" ^^ he thought it was the original song i guess ^^
Whahahahahaha LMAO!

Back
Top Bottom