Gravity Picks

Tortex .60 Orange is hard to beat IMO. I'm with you in the Orange being my main goto pick and works well in all scenarios. I have stacks of other picks I've tried and always land back on Tortex Orange. My second goto pick ended up being the Dunlop .73mm Nylon which gave me that feeling of the orange with a slight softer tone, less click when I'm in that mood.

I did however try a variety of Timber Tones picks which are $5 a piece with many sold in 4 packs. They make a variety of different specialized woods and materials. I found that in some cases the Timber Tone picks give that change you may be looking for. If you are trying to seek the closest to the Tortex Orange in another brand, then clearly your already using the best pick to your liking. Changing picks should be about finding a different feel, tone or inspire new creativity or only if your main pick isn't working.

Good luck on your pick quest.

Gravity picks is introducing a new line of pics, the Gold series. I have not tried them yet, but I am going to give them a try. Shipment is in the mail. They are made from a new material. Once they arrive and I try them out, I'll let you know what I think. Chris put a lot of effort into the development of the new pics, so I am anxious to give 'em a go.

Orderered a bunch of Gravity and some V-Picks too.
IMO Gravity feels and looks better.
Not sure if they sound better than my Red Bear but these are way too expensive.

So my Gravity Pick Gold series arrived in the mail yesterday. I am not an endorser. I post this because of the interest this thread has generated. My first impression:

I ordered a 2.5mm Striker big mini. It has a great grip, like the other Gravity picks. It is definitely made from different material than the acrylic picks. It is not transparent like the other Gravity picks. It has a comfortable bevel and is effortless across the strings. It excels at sweeps and fast linear phrasing. At 2.5mm it is a very thick pick, but that is what I prefer. Other sizes are available.

The Gold has a different sonic quality with regard to the pick attack. Sounds more like a Jazz III than an acrylic pick. The acrylic picks have the much discussed "chirp". The Gold has a softer attack. To my ears, all picks have some pick attack. The Gold has a soft pick attack rather than a bite like the acrylic picks. It does not sound like the acrylic picks at all. There is still an audible attack, especially in the upper registers. The attack is no more pronounced than a Jazz III. I find the pick attack sounds good. The notes respond if I dig in. The master finish available on the acrylic picks puts a lot more grit on the notes so if you are a hardcore blues player, you might prefer the master finish acrylic. I like a softer pick sound for most of my playing but the Gold does dig in very well.

As for durability, I have no comment. I only have a few hours of playing on the Gold. Time will tell. So far, there is no visible sign of wear. So, parting thought, the pick is expensive, but in my opinion worth the cost. If you are a player who uses boutique picks, the Gold is less expensive than the Wegens or Blue Chip and plays as well (I have 2 Blue Chips). If you lose picks regularly, then the cost is probably a factor. If you never lose your picks (like me) then this is a great pick. Kudos to Chris for a great pick. So, that is my 2 cents.

While we're on the topic of alternatives, you might check out ChickenPicks. I discovered them at NAMM and like the product even more than V-Picks. FWIW, I've never been a huge fan of the Gravity product.

While we're on the topic of alternatives, you might check out ChickenPicks. I discovered them at NAMM and like the product even more than V-Picks. FWIW, I've never been a huge fan of the Gravity product.

Expensive, but I like Chickenpicks picks a lot. They create those beautiful overtones.

Hi all,

I'm new here and I found some interesting posts about picks.
There are many different picks and I think that many of them really makes the difference.
I tried a few of them and I'm thinking of ordering some of the other brands and doing an A/B comparison.

@AntCarrier:
I have the Badazz 3 and it's like the Jazz III.
While I'm not jazz size pick player, I must say that it lasts much much longer than your Dunlop Jazz III
and it feel more comfortable to me.

I will comeback later after I tried some of the other picks...

Thanks for the interesting discussion here on Fractal...

I picked up a few random GRAVITY picks around NAMM.
I tried 'em.
I don't like them
and at $5 each I think it's an awful value and I liked them much less.

If they were 50cents each which is still twice the price of a normal pick- I don't think I'd complain as much- but at 20x the normal price- I don't get it.

Some companies like JHS picks had a hugeeeeee jar of them with their logo- IDK what custom ones cost but the jar probably had a million dollars in Gravity Picks

having tried v-picks, gravity and chicken picks, i like chicken picks best. v-picks have that annoying pick chirp that drove me bonkers after a while... gravity to a lessor extent... but ymmv

Back
Top Bottom