Graphic EQ rack unit thoughts

Raab90

Inspired
Hello, I was thinking of buying a stereo graphic eq for my rack tu put in between the AXE II and the Matrix GT1000FX.

Usually i just use an amp+cab (or a dual amp+cab) setup with no mic sim and feed that straight to the PA into the FRFRs. To me this really gives the feeling of having the real amp behind me, to the point I don't use the studio's amps anymore since I love the AXE's plexi sim so much (actually everyone does, alongside the JCM800, which has made my axe part of the studio gear, instead of my pesonal property)

So whenever I'm playing live, I just adjust the EQ on the amp sims (mainly presence) to fit the environment, just like if I had a real amp. No big deal out of it.
But lately I've been experimenting with ambience sounds, which requires precise EQing, and for obvious reasons, the amp sim's eq won't cut it.
So I was thinking of a way of rapidly adjusting the overall tone of a generic patch to fit wherever I'm playing.

Has anyone ever done this? Is there a way to this same thing in the axe without the need to add extra weight to my already back bending rack?

Thanks!

The only true application i can see for an eq between the axefx and a full range speaker solution is to pink the room to correct for room eq

anything else could and should be achieved in output eq on the axefx or on a patch by patch basis,

Anyway i've told you nothing you hadn't already known, however 2 cents given

Woah thank you for your quick response as always. Part of the price I paid for the unit goes into this lol!

I didn't know about the global EQ, I should use that then.

The only true application i can see for an eq between the axefx and a full range speaker solution is to pink the room to correct for room eq

anything else could and should be achieved in output eq on the axefx or on a patch by patch basis,

Anyway i've told you nothing you hadn't already known, however 2 cents given

How is what you just said bout pinking the room with a graphic eq any different than using the global EQ on the AXE? That would be 2 EQs in series o:
Or does having a separate EQ unit do the job better for that case, because this is in part what I want a global EQ for.

Thanks!

One of my setups is Axe + dbx 215 EQ + GT1000FX

It's easy to have a visual and easy access.

There was a time I was planning to do something with me and a singer and then I would use one channel for guitar and one for voice.

Bypass is easy too, so you could set up your own half-baked Fletcher Munson compensation, etc.

The Axe has so much EQ available onboard I can't imagine requiring more. I used to use a programmable EQ with my POD XT rig (behringer DEQ2496) that all ended when I got my first Axe. If I wanted EQ on every single patch for live use I'd just standardize my patch layout such that there was an extra EQ block at the end along with the Global.

Okay thanks for the input guys!
I just wanted an EG that was:

1) Global
2) Easy to set up on the go

So the AXE has a global EQ. Now, can I edit this global EQ on Axe Edit? This is because I always run my setup with my laptop on top of the rack. Being able to edit the global EQ with the Axe Edit would equal to a GEQ rack unit. Easy too visualize and tweak.

No. Front panel only.

I wouldn't suggest performing with axe-edit running. It causes gaps and needs time to communicate. I'm sure it wasn't intended for performance at all.

If you need to have it there, pause communications at least when you aren't using it.

Back
Top Bottom