gr 55 guitar synth v axe

boardwlk17

Power User
I have a roland gr1 i have been using for years. Can or will the axefx2 compar too or be better than the gr55 as far as synth sounds. I havent got that far with my axefx2 yet

I don't think it will be as good...Its definitely one of the best synths in a multi effect unit like the axe but the GR-55 has far more sounds and synth layers etc.

The axe synth with harmonizing is still pretty good for a lot of applications though.

If you're really looking for great synth guitar, not triggered midi, then you should be looking at a VG-99. The AFX, while it sounds really good, can only do monophonic synth. The GR has a good but simple polyphonic synth and the VG-99 has 2 simultaneous, much more advanced poly synths.

If you're really looking for great synth guitar, not triggered midi, then you should be looking at a VG-99. The AFX, while it sounds really good, can only do monophonic synth. The GR has a good but simple polyphonic synth and the VG-99 has 2 simultaneous, much more advanced poly synths.

So the vg99 is all around better than the gr55

The GR has two PCM synths and 1 cosm which obviously us axe users don't need but the alt. tunings are nice too...
There's other options than the GR-55 and VG-99 too...any of them with the hex pickups will be better than the axe...

I've been checking out a lot of synth options lately. You can find a lot of info comparing the 2 here...
VG-99 or GR-55

I myself have bought a GI-20 and yamaha motif ES as well as I'm picking up a GR-55 tonight to compare... Lots of options :)

From what I'm reading there isn't like piano, synth, flutes, saxes, drums, organ etc. in the VG-99. With the VG-99 you have more guitar tones... Correct me if I'm wrong but here is a quote

xx.gif

[h=5]Re: VG99 V GR55[/h]« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:20 AM »

The VG-99 provides Two separate COSM Guitar / COSM Amp Chains, and has an array of Polyphonic Modulation FX, and allows for user re-routing the USB Audio Send / Receive to many sources / destinations. And Four separate Analog outputs, and a 2 channel digital SPDIF Output - all separately assignable. And Very very deep editing with the VG-99 Editor. and Guitar Pitch detection to trigger an external MIDI sound engine (there are Zero Internal MIDI Synth Sounds).
The VG-99 can also send Guitar to MIDI Note On/Off conversion via 5 PIN MIDI OUT, or MIDI over USB to a PC/MAC, to trigger softsynths, or perform auto tabulature using GuitarPro 6.
Even without owning a physical VG-99, you may download the VG-99 Editor and see all the VG-99 parameters / controls / FX features.
VG-99 :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland

By contrast, the GR-55 supports 4 separate sounds at once ( Two Internal Roland SD-50 class PCM Synth engines, One COSM Guitar or COSM Bass Modeled sound, as well as the normal Guitar pickup sound.
Any of those 4 sounds can be routed into separate COSM AMP/Speaker Sim models for further processing.
The GR-55 can also send Guitar to MIDI Note On/Off conversion via 5 PIN MIDI OUT, or MIDI over USB to a PC/MAC, to trigger softsynths, or perform auto tabulature using GuitarPro 6.
Guitar Pro 6 - Tablature software for guitar, bass, and other fretted instruments
The GR-55 includes a 20 second Looper, and you can change the current patch, while the old patch / performance is playing as as a backing loop track.

The GR-55 has ZERO Polyphonic Modulation FX

The GR-55 also functions as Wave / AIFF audio file playback device - as it reads files from a USB flash drive.

The GR-55 has two operating Modes: Guitar Mode or Bass Mode.

When the GR-55 is running in Bass mode, it can access all the VB-99 Bass processor COSM Bass Models.

The VERY Cool thing about the GR-55's Guitar Output jack is that on a patch by patch basis, you can reroute and choose the signal type that will emerge from this jack:

Choices are:

1) Normal Guitar

2) COSM Guitar

3) Both COSM and Normal Guitar

This allows you to mount a GK-3 to your Les Paul, and select the Strat COSM model, and feed your Fender Twin a Strat sound.

Thanks for the info i have a gr-1 had it for years. It looks like the GR-55 would be the companion match with the AxeFx-2 for now I'll use my GR-1 with my AxeFx-2
Thanks again for the info now its off to FW-9

If you mean for actual synth guitar, then yes. For triggered midi sounds, the GR55 is better as the 99 doesn't do that without adding a separate sound module hooked to the midi out. VG sounds all use the actual sound of the guitar string as their basis, not midi. The best guitar to midi conversion (in speed, accuracy and flexibility) is still in the now defunct Axon Terratec units.

If you add software to the mix, then String Port by Kieth McMillien would be quite high on the list. It's capable of some amazing sounds, both synth and triggered midi, but requires a computer. It's conversion speed is on par or a bit faster than the GR55 and its sounds leave the GRs internal sounds for dead, but again, it requires a computer.

I own both GR55 and Axe fx2.
You can't compare them as they are chalk and cheese.
The axe fx is the best amp and effects modeler around by light years.
The Gr 55 is just a cute toy if you want to play with synth sounds like realistic piano, sax, trumpet, flute etc sounds triggered by your guitar.
But since I got the Axe fix the GR55 is just that... A cute toy to impress my friends but not a serious guitar processor any more.
IMHO
YMMV

I also have a GR-55 and the AFX II. I don't think of the GR as a toy. It's another tool. I use the synth strings a lot & last week I used the GR (with my Strat into the Axe) on one song to go to open D tuning, emulate a Les Paul and played slide. I'm loving the options it gives me.

I wouldnt even think of anything replacing the axefx2 i have a Gr1 and use it for strings, cellos i was thinking about upgrading my gr1 to a gr 55 would it be worth it, are the sounds and tracking way better than the gr1

I also have a GR-55 and the AFX II. I don't think of the GR as a toy. It's another tool. I use the synth strings a lot & last week I used the GR (with my Strat into the Axe) on one song to go to open D tuning, emulate a Les Paul and played slide. I'm loving the options it gives me.
Fair enough.
So, do you have the GK3 pick up on your strat, going into GR55 , and normal output jack on the strat into the Axe Fx ? ie. 2 cables out of your Strat?
This is what I have done in the past.
But it can get messy.

I use Roland GK stuff a lot; I run the normal guitar output jack via my wireless to the Axe II, so I only have the GK-cable from my guitar to the floor. When I don't need GR sounds on a tune, I can easily unplug the GK-cable, and have more freedom to move around the stage.

I use Roland GK stuff a lot; I run the normal guitar output jack via my wireless to the Axe II, so I only have the GK-cable from my guitar to the floor. When I don't need GR sounds on a tune, I can easily unplug the GK-cable, and have more freedom to move around the stage.
Using wireless sounds pretty cool.
Does it work OK, no hitches?

the gr55 has a lot more musical applications than the axe....the axe is more for ambient sounds and special bits, but one huge advantage is no midi pickup or midi guitar required....i am probably selling my 6 month old mint condition carvin midi guitar and gr55 for $1500, which is about 20 bucks more than guitar cost by itself so i can buy an MFC....vids with carvin and gr55 can be viewed at my 'mrfox7stringking' utube page if anyone is interested.....guitar plays like a dream and is great for blues, metal, jazz, and rock....also has piezo pickup in addition to the midi and regular pickups.....'holy blade of california' is probably my fave vid using this and the gr55....guitar is still under warranty for 6 months and the gr55 for about 2 more months

the gr55 is definitely not a toy....the ability to use alternate tunings or downtune a 6string to 8string levels is very impressive, as well as the ability to have instant doubled synth souds with a guitar is spectacular.You can do that with the onboard cosm sounds, or better yet, run a regular cable to the axe for the distorted guitar sounds.Most people are aware that the gr55 has near flawless tracking on about 90% of the patches, but the tracking on the piano sounds is pretty horrible regardless of technique.The synth sounds tracking is scary good, as well as the sitar and xylophone sounds

I dove into the synth guitar thing about a year ago and had 3 synth pickups and purchased (and sold) 6-7 different Synth units

By far the best was the GR-33

The tracking of the pickups takes place in the synth unit- i think the 33 had the best tracking of all of them

It has the best tones and was easier to program and had a great display

Technology wise- I think all of the roland synths are still in the 1980s

The axe fx for preamps/effects are in the 31st century.

For just synth stuff- obviously the roland is was made for that

However- if i had to choose one i'd pick the Axe- its quite advanced can be dailed in/tweaked to do whatever you're looking for

and sounds good...

All the roland synth stuff sounds like a cheap keyboard to me (although i took plug the midi out to my Korg Triton Extreme and it was really cool however- I've played piano since I was 4- so i'm really better off without the synth gtr stuff because i play piano and have good keyboard gear)

Back
Top Bottom