GPU EMI

Over the last few years, I've bought cases from Antec, Diablotek and Thermaltake. All of them are steel boxes, with every panel consisting of steel or perforated steel.

Any modern case can accommodate enough fans to cool anything short of a toaster oven. :)

I think I'm going for the Fractal Design Define 7 compact.
I just built a new computer using a Define 7 and was disappointed. Lot's of plastic. Front door is aluminum but not galvanically attached to the chassis so little shielding.

I just built a new computer using a Define 7 and was disappointed. Lot's of plastic. Front door is aluminum but not galvanically attached to the chassis so little shielding.
Thanks - back to the drawing board then....

Looks like I'll have to look at server cases huh?

I've heard that DIY solutions with EMI shielding tape or sheets give better results than some cases that claim to be EMI protected

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...=SB_20210906160520&SearchText=EMI+shield+tape
Have you ever tried this on a computer case? I use it on all my guitars to shield them and it does lower noise. I've thought about covering the majority of my computer case with it to see if it makes a difference. I used to have my PC and networking devices on the right side of my desk but moved them to the left side so it's farther away from the guitar pickups and it made a noticeable difference.

I’ve seen these threads pop up a lot over the years since I purchased my first Fractal product, which was an AxeFx II when they first came out, and still see them now, owning an AxeFx III. When I read through them, I always wonder what am I doing different that I’m not having these noise issues? Yes, I am one of these “clowns” that enjoys all the pretty lights and such coming from the side window of my self-built pc! lol

I’ve only built two of them. Built the first one in 2008, which consisted of an Asus motherboard, fastest Intel cpu I could afford, dual graphics cards with sealed water cooling rads, Revo drive ssd….you know….. Built my next one in 2016….same basic stuff but even more of it..Asus board, Intel, dual cards, multiple ssd, and even two nxt led light systems in this latest one..lol.

Here’s the thing, both of these systems were built in cases with the window on the side…the first in a Silverstone, and the current one in a Phantek, and both were and have been whisper quiet regarding playing through my Fractal equipment, even while sitting directly in front them with the guitar! Now sure, I’m not talking about holding the guitar up against the glass or anything, but yes, sitting directly next to these machines while playing guitar makes no extra noise. Four different guitars…three with high output humbuckers and one with single coils….all quiet……what gives?

I’ve seen these threads pop up a lot over the years since I purchased my first Fractal product, which was an AxeFx II when they first came out, and still see them now, owning an AxeFx III. When I read through them, I always wonder what am I doing different that I’m not having these noise issues? Yes, I am one of these “clowns” that enjoys all the pretty lights and such coming from the side window of my self-built pc! lol

I’ve only built two of them. Built the first one in 2008, which consisted of an Asus motherboard, fastest Intel cpu I could afford, dual graphics cards with sealed water cooling rads, Revo drive ssd….you know….. Built my next one in 2016….same basic stuff but even more of it..Asus board, Intel, dual cards, multiple ssd, and even two nxt led light systems in this latest one..lol.

Here’s the thing, both of these systems were built in cases with the window on the side…the first in a Silverstone, and the current one in a Phantek, and both were and have been whisper quiet regarding playing through my Fractal equipment, even while sitting directly in front them with the guitar! Now sure, I’m not talking about holding the guitar up against the glass or anything, but yes, sitting directly next to these machines while playing guitar makes no extra noise. Four different guitars…three with high output humbuckers and one with single coils….all quiet……what gives?

Have you tried turning the noise gate off completely? And you don't hear any noise whatsoever?

Have you tried turning the noise gate off completely? And you don't hear any noise whatsoever?
Just went and looked at my gate settings, and I believe they are at "stock" settings, which are -60db, 2.00, 2.00ms, and 100.00ms. Turned the threshold setting down until it reads "off", and while I can roll up the volume loud enough to hear "a little" something, it is only at the last 10% of the volume pedal's travel, which is more than I ever turn it up......I mean both my CLRs and my Matrix\4x12 are turned up 3\4 of the way. So yeah, it's pretty damn quiet. Like you said, must be lucky.....lol.

Just went and looked at my gate settings, and I believe they are at "stock" settings, which are -60db, 2.00, 2.00ms, and 100.00ms. Turned the threshold setting down until it reads "off", and while I can roll up the volume loud enough to hear "a little" something, it is only at the last 10% of the volume pedal's travel, which is more than I ever turn it up......I mean both my CLRs and my Matrix\4x12 are turned up 3\4 of the way. So yeah, it's pretty damn quiet. Like you said, must be lucky.....lol.
What guitar and pickups?

for what its worth Im using a Dell precision 5810, with a 4K GPU I have no EMI problem,

99% of the time it's my '60 Re-Issue Les Paul with Motor City Hot Heads.
Is it especially well shielded?

My EJ strat picks up lots of buzz. Not much radio, not enough hum to bother me over the buzz, but buzz.

If I get close to my laptop, there's high frequency interference too.

Is it especially well shielded?

My EJ strat picks up lots of buzz. Not much radio, not enough hum to bother me over the buzz, but buzz.

If I get close to my laptop, there's high frequency interference too.
Nope….none of my guitars have any added shielding.
It’s funny you mention the EJ as that is what my one guitar with singles is. Haven’t had it out of the case in a year, but this thread prompted me to pull it out this morning. Does it generate more noise than my humbucker guitars……of course. If I hold it up to the pc case it’s horrible. But, with the gate at factory settings as mentioned, sitting a couple feet from the pc, it is very doable…even in the three noisy positions on the selector switch.

Used fractal cases for my last few builds. I don't know whether it's something else in my setup but the EMI I get has been hideous so will bookmark this thread for next time!! And by hideous I mean the dreaded hunt.. hours...days of isolations to no avail 😬

Edit: if anyone has used fractal cases in their setups, would be interested to know if EMI was a problem for them 👍

Back
Top Bottom