Got my FC-6 Today - After using FC-12 for a Few Weeks

Genghis

Power User
I got the FC12 when my name came up early on the waiting list. I figured the more buttons I had the easier life would be and I'd use that many buttons. Then I started gigging in a band, and found that I can get through most songs with 2 to 4 scenes, a couple of IAs, and some clever use of expression pedals to control the mix of guitar and synth that I use for live with everything routed through the Axe-FX III.

First gig came along and I found that we had to set up in a very small area. The FC12 was overkill for what I needed and in the case that I brought it in, was way more than I needed. I found it cumbersome for the size of the stage area we had and almost tripped over it a couple of times. So, I ordered an FC6 a couple of weeks ago. (Should have had it shipped air. LOL - Snow hit hard here shortly after I ordered.)

After some significant snow delays here in Oregon, I got it today, and it will definitely fit the bill for my needs. I set it up where I really only use Layout 1 and Layout 7 which I modified like this:

1 - Presets. I changed the bank size to 6 and set the hold to inc/dec banks on buttons 3 and 6. I also set each of the Preset select buttons to automatically go to Layout 7 after I select my Preset.

7 - Performance:
Button 1 toggles Scene 1 and 2. I've always used this from the Axe-FX II days, to the FX8 and AX8 days. Saves a button as I generally use that as scene 1 main rhythm, and scene 2 main lead.

Button 2 is Scene 3 and Button 3 is Scene 4. Basically I can get 4 scenes from the bottom row, and I like that Button 1 will take me back to my main core rhythm sound no matter where I am.

Once I figured out how the Per-Preset features work, I have the top row set for Per-Preset and configure it within each patch to do different things depending on my needs. This is probably the key to me using the FC6 in place of the FC12. If I need more scenes, I can get to them. Usually, 4 is plenty and having 3 preset configurable buttons on the top row is about all I really need.

Also having each of the 6 buttons doing different things using the hold feature adds even more flexibility, one will take me back to Preset Layout, another turns on the Tuner. Still figuring out what to do with the other 4.

So, if any of you are trying to decide if the FC6 is enough, I've found that it is probably enough for me. I haven't decided yet if I'll sell the FC12, but for cramped areas, and my basic needs, I can cover a lot of ground with the FC6.

Really good information here, thanks for posting! I'm still waiting in the UK for G66 to get stock, but to be honest I need the waiting time because I am having a hard time trying to decide if the FC12 will be overkill for me, or if the FC6 will have enough easy to reach functionality for me. So it is very good to read feedback like this!

When you edit that switch you hit Enter and there are additional options. One of them is to trigger a Layout change when you hit it. I don't remember how it is labeled, but it's fairly intuitive. This thing was very well planned out. I think I'll keep the big one too for when I can do other types of gigs and for when I do things in my home studio, but for this band I'm in now, the FC6 is great.

I figured it out, layout link I think it was called. Really cool being able to select a preset and then go automatically to scenes or effects etc

I originally thought I’d want the 12 as I wanted to select presets and then change scenes on the fly, but honestly can’t say I’m missing that since it works so well to select a preset and then have the layout change.

Also thought I’d need a 12 since I wanted to bank up/down on presets, but with the hold for bank up and down and a size 6, which you suggested, I don’t feel limited at all.

Really is amazing how much they have 6 switches doing, and also how easy it is to get around.

If they could only allow the 4 external switches to have a few more functions, such as changing layouts, I’d be 100% satisfied with the Fc6

Yeah, that is it. Layout Link. 8 would actually be perfect, but I can easily get by with a 6.

Yeah, that is it. Layout Link. 8 would actually be perfect, but I can easily get by with a 6.

I’d love to have 2 or 3 external switches for changing layouts, or maybe just one for MLM even, so I don’t have to do the 2 button press move.

I’d ideally like to build 3 switches into a slim external box, sized to match the dimensions of the FC6, adding a 3rd row. 9x9 sized layout. Increasing the depth of the wouldn’t get in the way for me at all, but the added width of the 12, plus pedals starts to take a lot of horizontal space.

That link parameter is pretty cool though. I’m thinking of making a layout with amp channels for each switch, and then have those take me back to another layout, so I hold a button for channel, get 4 channels for drive, amp etc, and once you select one it takes you back to a different layout page. And the tap could still toggle the drive on/off. Pretty cooling allowing one switch to do so many functions.

You know, the real game changer for me was when I realized how flexible the per-preset switches can be. My bottom row and my main performance does Scenes, and the top row is set for per-preset. Tonight I'll probably check out if you can do per-preset placeholders for the hold functions as well. That would give me everything I need and then some, in a very compact form factor. Mind you, I don't change channels without changing scenes, or anything like that, so the way I do things works fine for this.

Your layout sounds brilliant and more intuitive than what I've got going right now. I'll definitely have to change mine when I get home.

Thanks Kamil. I had a similar layout for the FC12, but consolidated things and explored the per-preset option for a few things when I went to the FC6, and I like it. I'll make a few tweaks over the next few days I'm sure, but I was surprised at how much you can do with the FC6.

I've gotten a few messages about people wanting to buy the FC12, and after some consideration, I went ahead and let it go, so it is sold. Just gotta pack it up and ship it out.

You know, the real game changer for me was when I realized how flexible the per-preset switches can be. My bottom row and my main performance does Scenes, and the top row is set for per-preset. Tonight I'll probably check out if you can do per-preset placeholders for the hold functions as well. That would give me everything I need and then some, in a very compact form factor. Mind you, I don't change channels without changing scenes, or anything like that, so the way I do things works fine for this.

The per preset stuff is pretty cool indeed. Just takes a little time programming it, but I really like that you can custom name each switch, and as it’s dynamic it’s really useful. I’m 99% sure you can do hold functions as well but not at my unit right now.

I find that just scenes works great for performances, but I also like having access to different channels and such when I’m messing around, writing a song etc. When I stumble upon settings I like, i then save all that as a scene.

What’s really cool with both the 6 and 12 is that with 8 layouts, you can have the best of both worlds.

You could go and set up a layout for nothing but drive and boost options, another for just modulations etc, and you could go to that layout as needed and experiment, and at the same time can have another performance one with 4 scenes, preset up and tone and a tap tempo/tuner, one function per button, stupid simple setup for gigs.

So cool that it is so adaptable

I figured it out, layout link I think it was called. Really cool being able to select a preset and then go automatically to scenes or effects etc

I originally thought I’d want the 12 as I wanted to select presets and then change scenes on the fly, but honestly can’t say I’m missing that since it works so well to select a preset and then have the layout change.

Also thought I’d need a 12 since I wanted to bank up/down on presets, but with the hold for bank up and down and a size 6, which you suggested, I don’t feel limited at all.

Really is amazing how much they have 6 switches doing, and also how easy it is to get around.

If they could only allow the 4 external switches to have a few more functions, such as changing layouts, I’d be 100% satisfied with the Fc6
Can't find "layout link". Can someone help? I keep reading about it but cannot implement.
*Edit: Figured it out - read the manual under "Layout Links"

Last edited:
The per preset stuff is pretty cool indeed. Just takes a little time programming it, but I really like that you can custom name each switch, and as it’s dynamic it’s really useful. I’m 99% sure you can do hold functions as well but not at my unit right now.

I find that just scenes works great for performances, but I also like having access to different channels and such when I’m messing around, writing a song etc. When I stumble upon settings I like, i then save all that as a scene.

What’s really cool with both the 6 and 12 is that with 8 layouts, you can have the best of both worlds.

You could go and set up a layout for nothing but drive and boost options, another for just modulations etc, and you could go to that layout as needed and experiment, and at the same time can have another performance one with 4 scenes, preset up and tone and a tap tempo/tuner, one function per button, stupid simple setup for gigs.

So cool that it is so adaptable
I will have to keep that in mind. I don't use much more than this stuff I have set up now for live, but playing in my studio you've given me some cool ideas with that. This thing is so amazing.

I will have to keep that in mind. I don't use much more than this stuff I have set up now for live, but playing in my studio you've given me some cool ideas with that. This thing is so amazing.
I agree. Some pretty fine brains working for us Fractalites.

Hold has Per Preset too. It can be the same number as the Tap. You don’t need to use PP#1 for Tap and PP#2 for Hold, for example.

Hold has Per Preset too. It can be the same number as the Tap. You don’t need to use PP#1 for Tap and PP#2 for Hold, for example.
Thanks Chris. I plan on looking at that this evening to see how I can make use of it. Can't wait to get off work.

@Genghis just did your setup on my FC this evening. Brilliant. Presets layout now has 6 presets with holds on the rightmost switches to bank up and down. Then selecting a preset automatically jumps to Layout 2 which is my scenes / stomps mode. Bottom 3 switches are scenes 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 (I did it this way because then the alternates are vertically aligned in Axe-Edit). I usually do clean / crunch / lead for scenes 1, 2, 3 and then some variations for the other versions. Top 3 buttons I left open for per-preset assignments, which I usually use for engaging phaser, flanger, or other effects that work with all the different tones. Long hold on the bottom right toggles the tuner, long hold on either of the other two bottom buttons goes back to the presets layout.

Back
Top Bottom