Got mine in Germany on Thursday. I'm overwhelmed!

Nuff said!

The AX8 dwarves everything I owned before, including the Kemper and the Helix.

The tones I get from this thing are just mindblowing. Since Thursday night I only checked a handful of amps, like the Cameron CCV and the Plexi 100. It's not that I didn't care for the rest of the amps - it just made too much fun to fiddle around with these two.

I've been looking for the perfect amp tone since 2002. After 14 years of searching I can finally say that I got there.

Thank you so much for this, Cliff!

The tones and possibilities are endless! I made one "original" preset! Powerball + cab. I just used the conventional tone controls for the Powerball sum and it sounded fantastic! Mark 2C+ is next on the list!!!

Nuff said!
Thursday night I only checked a handful of amps, like the Cameron CCV and the Plexi 100. It's not that I didn't care for the rest of the amps - it just made too much fun to fiddle around with these two.
Exactly the same happened to me. First days and only first two banks. AX8 (so... Axe in general) in one patch has a lot lot colors. I chnaged guitars, pups, vol. knob position but not so much presets :D

And... this is first modeler on which I can play with pure amp+cab settings whithout reverb.

Last edited:
I had the opposite experience, hated it when I first plugged it in, almost sold it. Decided to keep it because the form factor rules! Glad I did, after a month I'm starting to get some good tones and am content.

I had the opposite experience, hated it when I first plugged it in, almost sold it. Decided to keep it because the form factor rules! Glad I did, after a month I'm starting to get some good tones and am content.
I'm not trying to come across as snide or insulting here, but just trying to make a general statement that is kind of relevant to your comment, so don't take this the wrong way. :)

I'm surprised that we don't see more posts like this though. "Good tone" is just another way of saying "the sound that I want" and all of that is very subjective. People have a lot of different tastes or desires and as a result very different expectations from the gear and what the FAS stuff does better than anything out there is give the user the ability to dial in a wider variety of them which makes it more likely that they can get the sound that they want. This is why I cringe every time that someone says "we don't want so many menus or parameters" because even though most of us can get by with just the basic controls that we would have on the actual amp; when you need those in depth controls it's a godsend.

That doesn't mean that you need to dig into the advanced menus for every patch, but I'd rather have that capability than not. I'll never understand why someone would want less....just don't go into those deep menus if you don't want to.

So I guess that I kind of got off the topic of your post a bit....:) Just glad to hear that you stuck with it and it paid off.

As for the OP and getting overwhelmed, just treat it like a real amp. Pick a cab and an amp and stick with the basic settings and don't worry about that advanced stuff. Keep your first patches really simple and just add effects exactly how you would with a pedalboard. 99% of what you will ever need to do can be done with the first page of the menus and then you can start to dig into the advanced stuff later on if you want or come across something that you need to do.

There are two ways that people approach these things.

1. To understand it just enough to make the sound that they want.
2. To master every single thing that it can do.

Neither way is better and neither is wrong, but you have the choice to do either which is great. The good news is the longer you use it the easier the thing becomes to the point that you can't really imagine a better or more logical way to do it.

As for the OP and getting overwhelmed, just treat it like a real amp. Pick a cab and an amp and stick with the basic settings and don't worry about that advanced stuff. Keep your first patches really simple and just add effects exactly how you would with a pedalboard. 99% of what you will ever need to do can be done with the first page of the menus and then you can start to dig into the advanced stuff later on if you want or come across something that you need to do.

Absolutely! By "overwhelmed" I meant that I was blown away by the quality of the amp simulations - not being overwhelmed by the amount of modding options. The latter is one of the reasons I went from Kemper to AX8.

What is so great about the AX8 is that I can chose an Amp to get a "ballpark tone". From there I read the AxeFx wiki and try to find out which values I need to modify to get the tone I want. From there, I can add less or more defintion, more smoothness or grittyness of the distortion texture, more or less bite and so on. In the end I get something that is exactly what I want.

I couldn't be happier :D

I feel like a kid in a candy shop, where everything I'd ever want is available and free.

Yummy!

Nuff said!

The AX8 dwarves everything I owned before, including the Kemper and the Helix.

The tones I get from this thing are just mindblowing. Since Thursday night I only checked a handful of amps, like the Cameron CCV and the Plexi 100. It's not that I didn't care for the rest of the amps - it just made too much fun to fiddle around with these two.

I've been looking for the perfect amp tone since 2002. After 14 years of searching I can finally say that I got there.

Thank you so much for this, Cliff!

How are you running it? Just curious, because my out-of-the-box experience was different. I ran it into a mixer and then into headphones. However, I just got the cable to plug my headphones directly to the main outs, and it's much better. That taught me that the gain on the mixer makes a big difference. (or maybe just my mixer's pre-amps? It's a small 8-channel Behringer) I had the AX8 output at about 50% into the mixer, with the input gain at about 50% on the input channel. However, I now know it sounds much better at 75% output on the AX8 with the gain all the way down on the mixer. (Similar to what I was getting on direct headphone connection.)

Anyway, I see folks getting great results, so I'm curious if it was into an FRFR, amp effects loop, etc.....

How are you running it? Just curious, because my out-of-the-box experience was different. I ran it into a mixer and then into headphones. However, I just got the cable to plug my headphones directly to the main outs, and it's much better. That taught me that the gain on the mixer makes a big difference. (or maybe just my mixer's pre-amps? It's a small 8-channel Behringer) I had the AX8 output at about 50% into the mixer, with the input gain at about 50% on the input channel. However, I now know it sounds much better at 75% output on the AX8 with the gain all the way down on the mixer. (Similar to what I was getting on direct headphone connection.)

Anyway, I see folks getting great results, so I'm curious if it was into an FRFR, amp effects loop, etc.....

I'm running it directly in my Steinberg UR22. I also used my Y-adapter to go from the main output in my Beyerdynamic hi-z headphones (250 ohms).

I'm getting fantastic results either way.

Back
Top Bottom