Got inspired to make a different OMG9! But apparently I just reinvented an FM9. (Layout included)

Promit

Inspired
I've been using the OMG9 for a while and it's a great setup, but it never quite fit me. It felt like the things I wanted most were not closest, and the AX8 was still more comfortable, and so I came up with an idea to move the layout selection to the top right. You see where this is going. I woke up, did the whole thing, then discovered what I had is an FM9. Not identically the factory layout but same exact idea. Granted that makes this post much less interesting than if I'd come up with it a year ago. Still, I thought it might be informative for people to have a template of how to build an OFM9G type setup on the FM3/FC6 combo. Some notes for how I have this set up:
  • I really dislike hold functions in most cases, so there are almost none. The only hold function is that the Presets button is the Tuner button.
  • I use Scenes primarily and Per-Preset secondarily. I don't ever use Effects. I threw together a quick effects layout, but there are no buttons that go to it.
  • Similarly, I have the preset selection layout-linked to scenes. Pre-preset would be more AX8-like, but this can be changed in the layout links.
  • Scenes is set up with a Next/Prev button that toggles two overlapping layouts. For example when you hit Scenes, the Scenes button becomes the Next >> button. You can see Scenes 1-6 or 4-8 + Tap Tempo. I like this overlapped setup better than the stock OFM9G, where you end up tap dancing a bit to toggle between S4 and S5.
  • I color my scene buttons individually, which helps me at least with quickly seeing where I am before reading any labels.
  • Looper's not set up.
Yeah so if you're curious to try it out, the layout file is attached. Real quick overview if you're not familiar with the FM9 or OFM9G layouts: on normal OMG9, the FM3 has three layout selections (Presets/Scenes/Effects by default) that change the layout shown on the FC6. This is the same thing, but instead the layouts are selected from the upper row of the FC6 and the layout itself spans the bottom row 6-wide. Everything else really just flows from there, and is pretty straightforward once you're in it looking at the unit. For editing and customization, layout links are everything. It's easy to modify, if a bit tedious, if you have a handle on those. Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

EDIT: I found a bug: if you enter the tuner and then short press the preset button to exit, things get out of sync. Not yet totally sure how to fix.

Attachments

• promit-ax9-0.1.fclayout
    84.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've been using the OMG9 for a while and it's a great setup, but it never quite fit me. It felt like the things I wanted most were not closest, and the AX8 was still more comfortable, and so I came up with an idea to move the layout selection to the top right. You see where this is going. I woke up, did the whole thing, then discovered what I had is an FM9. Not identically the factory layout but same exact idea. Granted that makes this post much less interesting than if I'd come up with it a year ago. Still, I thought it might be informative for people to have a template of how to build an OFM9G type setup on the FM3/FC6 combo. Some notes for how I have this set up:
  • I really dislike hold functions in most cases, so there are almost none. The only hold function is that the Presets button is the Tuner button.
  • I use Scenes primarily and Per-Preset secondarily. I don't ever use Effects. I threw together a quick effects layout, but there are no buttons that go to it.
  • Similarly, I have the preset selection layout-linked to scenes. Pre-preset would be more AX8-like, but this can be changed in the layout links.
  • Scenes is set up with a Next/Prev button that toggles two overlapping layouts. For example when you hit Scenes, the Scenes button becomes the Next >> button. You can see Scenes 1-6 or 4-8 + Tap Tempo. I like this overlapped setup better than the stock OFM9G, where you end up tap dancing a bit to toggle between S4 and S5.
  • I color my scene buttons individually, which helps me at least with quickly seeing where I am before reading any labels.
  • Looper's not set up.
Yeah so if you're curious to try it out, the layout file is attached. Real quick overview if you're not familiar with the FM9 or OFM9G layouts: on normal OMG9, the FM3 has three layout selections (Presets/Scenes/Effects by default) that change the layout shown on the FC6. This is the same thing, but instead the layouts are selected from the upper row of the FC6 and the layout itself spans the bottom row 6-wide. Everything else really just flows from there, and is pretty straightforward once you're in it looking at the unit. For editing and customization, layout links are everything. It's easy to modify, if a bit tedious, if you have a handle on those. Hopefully someone finds this helpful.
Wow, I am totally gonna give this a go. Would love to have all 6 scenes on the lower buttons and the "menu" for presets/ scenes on top. Playing live it seems easier to me to change scenes with the bottom row. thx for this!

I made this a while ago:
FC6 - OM9 layout
You can do some great stuff with it 😀
If you click the link you can also read how to install the layout. Just fiddle around wit it, or the one from Promit, and see how it may suit your own needs 😎

Back
Top Bottom