Got a Tumnus Deluxe

pharmd07

Experienced
I’ve been curious about K-type pedals for a while, considering all the hype. So I picked up a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe. I have to say that I’m quite impressed. It’s a great pedal. It imparts some liveliness to my tone that I really enjoy, even with minimal gain. I’ve been running it in front of modern Marshall-esque models (HBE, Atomica, etc). I have the pedal’s level set to provide just a little bit of boost, and gain at 9 o’clock, treble at 1 o’clock, and bass and middle at noon. In other words, nothing drastic, but the results are great! I’ve been playing my Les Paul Classic through it.

Since I don’t own any other pedals, I don’t have an power supply, but I need to get one. This pedal will go through a 9v battery in about 90 minutes.

Ah, ye olde Klon(e). But at least Wampler is honest about it. That's one of the things I like about Wampler, he's not into selling you snake oil, and he got some really interesting designs of his own.

The liveliness, does that come with the buffer on or is it still there off?

Ah, ye olde Klon(e). But at least Wampler is honest about it. That's one of the things I like about Wampler, he's not into selling you snake oil, and he got some really interesting designs of his own.

The liveliness, does that come with the buffer on or is it still there off?

I have the buffer turned on. It can be turned off with a button on the side of the pedal.

I agree with you about Wampler. I like how he makes his own updated version of classic designs, such as adding bass and mid controls and a gain switch on the Tumnus Deluxe. I’d like to try the Velvet Fuzz and Clarksdale (his take on a TS, with more tone shaping capabilities).

I didn’t think I’d like this pedal as much as I do. Before I got it I was under the impression that K-circuit pedals were probably over hyped. But I do like this one. That being said, there is no way I would pay $2k for a real Klon.

I have the buffer turned on. It can be turned off with a button on the side of the pedal.

I agree with you about Wampler. I like how he makes his own updated version of classic designs, such as adding bass and mid controls and a gain switch on the Tumnus Deluxe. I’d like to try the Velvet Fuzz and Clarksdale (his take on a TS, with more tone shaping capabilities).

Oh, I love the Velvet Fuzz. I love the idea of a pedal that sounds like a fuzz into an overdriven Marshall. Instead of just yet another fuzz (face). I built my own, but it was a bitch to build. A big fan of the Pinnacle too. Another pedal that was a bitch to build, cause you need matched sets of J201 transistors. Which are out of production and all you can get these days are expensive NOS parts or fakes. Usually both.

I didn’t think I’d like this pedal as much as I do. Before I got it I was under the impression that K-circuit pedals were probably over hyped. But I do like this one. That being said, there is no way I would pay $2k for a real Klon.

Why should you? There are no magical parts in a real Klon, Finnegan's claims about his magical diodes aside. The circuit has been well traced, it's just $20 in parts. Some people really are taken in by snake oil and mythical unicorn parts. Some people are just hell bent on the original and nothing else will do. And I reckon others are in it for braggin' rights (What's that on your board? Oh, nothing much. Just a Klon. (buffs nails casually) A real one!)

Back
Top Bottom