Got a tone in my head, not sure how to get there

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
How would you guys go about creating a clean stratty lead tone with sustain and compression similar to an overdriven lead tone? I want fast picking to pop almost like chicken picking but with more of a Gilmour tone balance.. I know, not sure if this is possible or even making sense. Anyway just throwing it out there for suggestions.

I think your more describing the feel. Sounds like you want that easy to play clean sound with immediate attack. Amps with master volumes makes it easier to achieve. It’s a fine balance with cranking the master without overdriving and volume to taste.

Sounds like my Dr Z maz 18.
I haven’t used it in the AXE yet.
It’s an amp that takes pedals well. Might be a good time to test out the new drive pedal update !

You could try starting with this quick one I just put together. Comp and SD1 for some pop, HIWATT for the Gilmour roundness, 70's Plate to finish and an optional Multicomp. Voiced with an Eric Johnson Strat. Tweak or trash to taste. :D

Attachments

• For TB5.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
How would you guys go about creating a clean stratty lead tone with sustain and compression similar to an overdriven lead tone? I want fast picking to pop almost like chicken picking but with more of a Gilmour tone balance.. I know, not sure if this is possible or even making sense. Anyway just throwing it out there for suggestions.
Dynamics and tonal balance are two different things.

Get the tonal balance you want with EQ. That’s what EQ does.

If you want sustain, use a compressor. If you want it to pop, set the compressor’s attack to be a bit slow, so the transients pop through. If you want as much sustain as a dirty lead tone, you’re going to need lots of volume.

You might like the Ruby Rocket, it has a kinda “chirp” to the pick attack unlike any other amp. Use EV12L’s or G12-65’s with it. Something to keep the highs tamed..Cliffs Rumble Cab IR’s and the Bludo 2x12 65 are a good mix. With the 160 mic.
I used to never get along with this amp but now it absolutely rips.

Between the tone in your head and the voices in mine we could start a band.:D

You could try starting with this quick one I just put together. Comp and SD1 for some pop, HIWATT for the Gilmour roundness, 70's Plate to finish and an optional Multicomp. Voiced with an Eric Johnson Strat. Tweak or trash to taste. :D
I am getting a blank grid when I import this. Was this made on the AXE3 or other?

Man, how do you like that? Ask and you shall receive! Way to go Burgs!:)

I tried taking a feedback send and giving it an audio tap off of a compressor before the amp, then sending the feedback return into the front of the compressor. It didn't work quite right, but I'm convinced that between maybe a gate or two with an input 1 sidechain, or an envelope or two to swell it, you could get it to loop/swell into controllable internal feedback at zero volume, then have it shut off when the guitar signal cuts out.

Back
Top Bottom