Got A Stupid Question

Steinmetzify

Inspired
So here's my stupid story and my stupid question:

I'm forever struggling to get the exact tone I use when practicing onto recordings. Problem being that it'll clip, because it's f*ckin LOUD, yo. I don't want to turn it down, because since I practice at that level, it's what I'm used to and I've adjusted my playing style for it over the last year.

I practice mainly with a Mesa Triaxis sim, and for recording levels I'm forever struggling to hear the backing drums and/or other parts. For all the things I do know about the Axe and Reaper, I don't know how to do this. I don't know that I've ever seen it mentioned, so I figure there's got to be an easy solution. Basically what I do is lower the master volume on the whole thing (so my parts don't clip) and then pump the volume way up on the drum track/backing track/other guitar parts to match the volume I'm playing at. Do you guys just record super quiet or is there something I'm missing?

My question is, is there an easier way to do this? Have the volume levels matched up right from the get go so I don't have to do this raising/lowering thing? Is there a feature in the Axe or in Reaper that'll let me do this? Maybe I should post this in the recording forum too...

tl;dr: is there something I can do using the Axe or Reaper to record at my normal playing volume without clipping?

Anyway, ideas appreciated, thanks!

Chris, I think it's Reaper. It'll tickle the red when I'm playing along practicing the riffs or whatever on the front of the Axe. When I go to record, what I'd like is the same exact tones/volume levels I'm using to practice. I think this might be an area of the Axe I'm just unfamiliar with. Let me ask you this:

Is there a monitor/headphone output vs actual output level on the axe? Like where I could have the same levels in my headphones, but in reality it's lower output so it doesn't clip in Reaper?

If there is a way to do the above I could crank the monitor, lower the actual output, and then raise or lower the daw tracks to balance it out, I guess.

Yup, only when I play the guitar.....the backing tracks don't bother it at all, UNLESS I'm recording, in which case I think the additive tracks are making it clip.

Fuck I'm irked right now. I wish I could call someone and ask about this. I know I'm not explaining it right via this medium.

Yup, only when I play the guitar.....the backing tracks don't bother it at all, UNLESS I'm recording, in which case I think the additive tracks are making it clip.

Fuck I'm irked right now. I wish I could call someone and ask about this. I know I'm not explaining it right via this medium.
just answer the questions i'm asking:

what light is turning red? the Out 1 clip light on the Axe front panel?

clipping has nothing to do with how loud it seems in the room.

Dude I'll pay you $10 to let me call you and explain this really fast. I know what I want to do, I just don't know how to explain it lol.

That means the amp block level is too high.

Reduce the Level parameter in the amp block until it stops clipping.

The volume you hear will turn down, so increase the Out 1 knob on the front panel, or your amp/speaker volume.

If the clip light doesn't come on when you play just guitar, your recording won't clip either.

When you play both guitar and music, you might see the Clip light - but don't worry as long as the guitar by itself doesn't make the clip light turn on.

This is a common question. Check out this video for more: http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/why-are-my-axe-fx-clip-lights-turning-on-what-is-clipping/

That means the amp block level is too high.

Reduce the Level parameter in the amp block until it stops clipping.

The volume you hear will turn down, so increase the Out 1 knob on the front panel, or your amp/speaker volume.

If the clip light doesn't come on when you play just guitar, your recording won't clip either.

When you play both guitar and music, you might see the Clip light - but don't worry as long as the guitar by itself doesn't make the clip light turn on.

This is a common question. Check out this video for more: http://axefxtutorials.com/2014/09/why-are-my-axe-fx-clip-lights-turning-on-what-is-clipping/

AHA! I knew there was a simple solution! So, to be clear.....I can have the SAME levels of volume, just turn down the level in the amp block and then turn up the Output level so it matches, and THEN I can record at the same level I'm practicing at, volume-wise, without the whole thing clipping? It'll SOUND the same, but there won't be so much output from the Axe, so it won't clip?

AHA! I knew there was a simple solution! So, to be clear.....I can have the SAME levels of volume, just turn down the level in the amp block and then turn up the Output level so it matches, and THEN I can record at the same level I'm practicing at, volume-wise, without the whole thing clipping? It'll SOUND the same, but there won't be so much output from the Axe, so it won't clip?
exactly. i usually refer to the level you hear in the room as "perceived volume." you want your ears to be hit by the same amount of sound (the perceived volume).

the Level controls in the axe are, of course, all digital, and there is a "digital limit" to the level. that's what the Out 1 light represents. "digital clipping."

you can have that light turn on, yet there is NO volume coming from the axe, because it's clipping internally. similarly, you can be very far away from clipping yet have deafening volume in the room if you just turn up the speakers and out 1 knob.

watch those videos i linked to when you have a chance. it should clear up everything. this concept is known as "gain staging."

first don't clip internally
then don't clip the input of your speaker
then don't clip the input of your recording device,
etc. etc. for every other device in the chain.

it's a basic concept for all audio ever. :)

In the Axe hit the utility button. Go the right until the VU screen. Play. Adjust so your signal usually falls about the line. Turn the A quick control to adjust it. Once you do, save your preset. It is now balanced.

Now, once in Reaper, you want to hit the monitor button on your audio track. Adjust the output level on the Axe until you get a good signal showing. You want it strong, but not red. Once you do this, you have a good signal going into Reaper.

Now that you have that, use the mixer volumes to balance your guitar, drums, and whatever else. Balance the tracks, and then use the Master volume in Reaper to control the overall volume.

Done. :D

This is great info to have, because I hate to record at low volumes as well. Does not have to be stage loud, but a nice playing volume. Joe

Back
Top Bottom