Got a newsletter from an amplifier manufacturer today... Clearly they haven't tried Cygnus! Lol!

Very well said, poetic even. You must write great song lyrics.
Thanks - I perform for a living, but my writing effort is mostly consumed by another project I'm doing. If successful, it could be amazing. If curious, shoot me a PM and I can send some info.

Funny thing is Ive seen alot of tube amps for sale on my local craigslist relisted over and over for months on end...most at fair market value... including a bad-cat that nobody wants. On the rare occasion a fractal audio product pops up it's usually gone within a few days...unless they want an unrealistic amount for it. Don't get me wrong....if I had unlimited funds and space I'd probably have 3 of EVERYTHING...including tube amps....kinda like @2112 and his ADA-mp1 collection. 😂🤣😂

Just playing with you Leon....I totally get it. Lol
and unlimited space ;)

Imagine that, brand that is in the business of selling tube amps suggests tube amps are superior; thusly encouraging people to still buy the very product they sell.
Not just that, but a Boo Teak Amp builder that plays at, wants to be a big label Amp maker. Bad Cat is exactly they type of tube amp company that modelling amps eat into sales from.

I have tried in the return of my tube head but not in a neutral poweramp

That's what made me sure I could switch to the axe with a matrix gt1600 and cab. I loved the mark iic++ amp sim with power amp modelling off through my Mark V power section. Have you tried this with your jp2c? Try the axe jp2c sim with power amp off going into the return of your real jp2c/cab. No cab in the axe fx chain.

Not agreeing or disagreeing.

However:

I spent hours/days/weeks/months chasing a 'perfect' tone. Many thousands on different amps, premium tubes, modifications, etc. I was occasionally successful...only to find the next time I fired it up the tone had subtly changed...and off I was on the tweaking train.

I've dialed in a wild number of 'pure amp' tones that are frankly better than most of those I pulled in during those endeavors with the Axe III. Everything you spoke of so eloquently.

I don't speak of equivalency here. If you think tube amps are better, then they're better. But my personal opinion is that I have far more in the AxeIII, and do not feel the lack. Especially when I visit the store to play the tube amp of the minute, and 14 minutes later wish I was in front of my little black box.

And please people, be kind here. Long experience tells me these things tend to spiral out of control.

R
I’m with you. So much time and effort with tube swaps, pedals, speakers, etc. only to come back to it the next day and be like “blech….that sounds weak”.

with the AF3 I can dial it in and save it forever. I’m a numbers guy so I like the consistency - I know it hasn’t changed, so I can tweak as much as I want and I know it’ll be the same when I get back.

Fractal has delivered on what Line 6 has been promising for 20+ years.

Haven’t been this excited to play since I was a teenager.

This is an email newsletter I got today from an amplifier manufacturer. I'm 100% in the Axe III camp!

Does Liking Tubes Make Me Old School?

It’s not just that I’m “old school,” but I prefer tube amps. Sure, many of the new digital amps offer scads of features that are admittedly fun and cool. But, when it comes to the pure player-guitar-amplifier connection, there is nothing like the warmth and tone that tube amplifiers produce.

Vacuum tubes are timeworn technology. Digital amps can almost mimic the sound of a great tube amp … but not quite. The physical transfer of electrons within the tubes, initiated by the electro-magnetic charge transmitted from the guitar pickup can be imitated, but not perfectly digitally reproduced. When the combination of preamp and power tubes shapes the tone you produce over the entire spectrum of volume and distortion, the complex composite of even and odd order harmonics as signal amplitude changes simply cannot be recreated in a digital amp.

This creates the most pleasant overdrive, or distortion, because the predominately even order harmonics reproduced best by tube amps in the richness of their timbre above the note being played, are ideally suited to the human ear. Not to get all “sciency” here, but our tympanic membranes are best able to respond to vibrational frequencies at multiples of a primary tone. So, tube amplifiers at modest overdrive, or distortion (by creating by predominantly even, but also a fraction of odd order harmonics) offer a pleasing experience to the listener because the multiple vibrational frequencies are congruent. One day it may be possible for digital amplifiers to recreate the complex inner workings of vacuum tubes and reproduce a more natural overdrive, or distortion, sound. But, it hasn’t happened yet. The harmonics created with the attack and decay of a note played through a tube amplifier offer a staggering complexity for digital amplifier manufacturers to copy. Because that is what they are doing – taking the recorded sound of a tube amplifier and working to recreate that sound from attack through decay, at a variety of volume levels and tone settings. They have done a fantastic job at getting it close. But, as yet, no cigar.

Indeed, the better your speaker(s) and cabinet, the more you will appreciate the subtle advantages of a tube amplifier. This holds equally true whether you are listening to a live performance, or a recorded performance through speakers or headphones.

Tubes are here to stay. Not because I’m “old school.” Because they sound better.

-Ted

Tube amps are awesome, so is the Axe FX they do very different things. Amps amplify and signal processors process. I think the advantage of the Axe is that you can have the whole chain exactly the same at every gig and hand the soundman your sound as you want to hear it. Also amps are heavy and require maintenance. I have a Super reverb that will always sit in my studio because I like having one "real Amp" left, but I don't think I would ever gig with a real amp again AXFX+IEMS+SD Powerstage and cab for backline/front fill is the absolute best and most convenient rig I have had in 30 years of playing electric guitar. Lots of people are in different places in their tone quest, for me what I have learned is I had to experience all that goes with gigging an amp and pedalboard to really appreciate the Axe.

That's what made me sure I could switch to the axe with a matrix gt1600 and cab. I loved the mark iic++ amp sim with power amp modelling off through my Mark V power section. Have you tried this with your jp2c? Try the axe jp2c sim with power amp off going into the return of your real jp2c/cab. No cab in the axe fx chain.
I have tried a long time ago and it was good yes .
there is no real debate to me . This week I m preparing a new record, so I have put tons of mics in my cab with the real head, 6 guitars for rythm, the sound was super huge and cool .
And then in the end of the session , I just put a mono track of one my lovely preset (just to try) . The sound was already produced, everything was there so quickly (if you don’t think of the 100+ hours doing the presets…) No worries about sound change while kicking a mic the day after …
Still don’t know if I use my head or the axe 🤦 .
doing things with the real stuff is more “entertaining”, but way more complicated to have a huge tone. I think I will always stay with both . Some guys sold their heads and miss them after . As I have played tubes for 20 years before modelers , I will surely be one of them .
but yes this axe 3, once you have good presets, it kick ass .

Last edited:
Worrying about whether a modeler perfectly mimics a tube amp is so 2010. If a modeler sounds different than a tube amp, then it's different, not better or worse. Personally, my goal is to get a pleasing sound, without regard for whether it matches some other technology.
Yeah, this debate also extends to outboard analog gear in the studio. UAD2 or the real thing?! I've had both in that realm, the cream of the crop analog gear and heavy-duty UAD2 firepower. After a while, for me, it's just a context thing. It's not better or worse. It's just different, and frankly the sonic differences are so subtle that the debate seems like an exercise in missing the point. They're tools! :tonguewink: Use that tool that vibes!

I've gone off so many times looking for perfect tone, and have later circled back around to the AFX. For me, it's the best tool to get me as close to whatever impossible fantasy "tones" I hear in my head. The AFX3 now with Cygnus gives me such a great launching pad for finding the "perfect tone". And Cygnus is really the start of a new chapter, not the end of one. Looking forward to the fyootchah!

I like real tube amps because they smell good when they are hot.
If someone could capture that in an air freshener I'd have one hanging from my rear view mirror and one in the back of my A-FX3 rack. When going through the newly updated presets I think my brain was giving me that scent perception anyway due to it's anticipation of the smell being associated with the aural inputs received. Funny thing the brain. At least it proves I have one.

Back
Top Bottom