Got a newsletter from an amplifier manufacturer today... Clearly they haven't tried Cygnus! Lol!

Nothing’s wrong. The manufacturer defends his job and passion. Playing with an amp in the room is more enjoyable than a miced amp sound in studio monitor by far. That’s why it’s cool to have both. I will never sold my tube amp. One for recording quietly or Gigs with just a bag and the other to have fun alone or playing with a stack in the practice room .
the pleasure with the tube amp is here everytime . Sometime I don’t like the sound in the axe and sometime I like it, with my JP2C I like it everytime . Tell me why . A non miced amp sound way better . When you play in a real bassman combo and then with the axe in studio monitors with 6”…….. nothing to compare . When you rec the bassman or whatever amp you lose a lot of what the real amp feels and sound with your ears in front of it .
a guy playing a twin all day, trying the axe in my monitors will laugh for sure . Miced sound …. You lost it all . So the tube amps will stay forever

Last edited:
Nothing’s wrong. The manufacturer defends his job and passion. Playing with an amp in the room is more enjoyable than a miced amp sound in studio monitor by far. That’s why it’s cool to have both. I will never sold my tube amp. One for recording quietly or Gigs with just a bag and the other to have fun alone or playing with a stack in the practice room .
the pleasure with the tube amp is here everytime . Sometime I don’t like the sound in the axe and sometime I like it, with my JP2C I like it everytime . Tell me why . A non miced amp sound way better . When you play in a real bass man and then with the axe in studio monitors with 6”…….. nothing to compare . When you rec the bassman or whatever amp you lose a lot of what the real amp feels and sound with your ears in front of it .

Have you ever tried a big clean power amp into traditional cabinets with your fractal? (Ie matrix gt1600fx)

Have you ever tried a big clean power amp into traditional cabinets with your fractal? (Ie matrix gt1600fx)
And then it’s another thing .
no, not yet . I m sure it works good and then you have both world .
you cannot compare miced amp sound with real amp sound, but I prefer 100 times the amp in the room sound. if you use the axe in a real cab and poweramp, like many people do, I m sure it’s cool . I have tried in the return of my tube head but not in a neutral poweramp

I love my tube ,I love my Fm3, if I had to choose it would be Fm3. More amps ,more effects more everything. I’m old school but old school with amps that use preamp distortion from the late 70’s and on ,never an old Marshall with no master volume . So it’s fun with the Fm3 to use an old Marshall ,maybe not exactly the same but close enough 😎

yes but … using a modeler to bring a cab ? a poweramp ? etc … so we are back to the start … I have done my last gigs with helix floor, kemper, axe 2… and only bring the modeler, no cabs ! This is one of the best point to not bring a stack … if I need to go gigging with a cab, a poweramp, the 3, the fc12… ok so I bring my tube head and pedals so ….

the pleasure with the tube amp is here everytime . Sometime I don’t like the sound in the axe and sometime I like it, with my JP2C I like it everytime . Tell me why . A non miced amp sound way better . When you play in a real bassman combo and then with the axe in studio monitors with 6”…….. nothing to compare . When you rec the bassman or whatever amp you lose a lot of what the real amp feels and sound with your ears in front of it .
a guy playing a twin all day, trying the axe in my monitors will laugh for sure . Miced sound …. You lost it all . So the tube amps will stay forever
So buy (or build) yourself a couple of cabs for the Celestion F12-X200's, and put those speakers in it. That's what I'm working towards, in part because of how other guys (Justincase, e.g.) have raved about how they give you that AITR sound/feel for all the models, and partly because I'm pretty certain I, like you, won't really dig the sound of FRFR monitors or powered speakers.

What I’m reading in this thread sounds more like a “volume impact” discussion — the AFX3 through my Bryston 4B amp into my JBL 4430 studio monitors (a super-fast transient response combo capable of moving some serious air) totally takes care of that elusive AITR feel that some seek. It is also “someone’s gonna call the cops” LOUD and easily capable of hearing damage…

I think if Cliff et al could re-create the smell of burning-hot glass bottles this discussion would be moot. 🤪

Tube amps are great but the whole bit about even order harmonics, blah, blah, is patently false. ALL amps produces mostly odd harmonics. In fact even harmonics sound fuzzy and farty. The trick is getting the right ratio. You want mostly odd with a little bit of even mixed in to warm things up.
Very interesting info Cliff, do you have any interest in making those ratios adjustable? Or correcting them if a particular amp model could be sonically improved with a better balance of odd and even harmonics?

It might also be cool to be able to increase the volume of the harmonics relative to the rest of the signal, without having to push the amp harder. I always wonder what can be done in a digital model of a tube amp which cannot be done in the real world of electrical engineering…

From what I've come to learn about the monitoring component of using a modeler, I think of it like this:
If you want that aitr sound/feel at home, when jamming, practicing, that's a type of solution that may require an amp & certain kind of speaker cab.
For recording, if you want to hear exactly how the guitar sounds, recorded, then it's usually studio FRFR monitors.
For a live gig, where you want completely clean stage volume, it's IEM + straight to FOH.
If you want some live feel however, then either wedges and/or a backline amp/cab.

Just different solutions depending on your needs/wants/situation. And within each, there happen to be several choices, as well as widely varying amounts of more money to spend.

From what I've come to learn about the monitoring component of using a modeler, I think of it like this:
If you want that aitr sound/feel at home, when jamming, practicing, that's a type of solution that may require an amp & certain kind of speaker cab.
For recording, if you want to hear exactly how the guitar sounds, recorded, then it's usually studio FRFR monitors.
For a live gig, where you want completely clean stage volume, it's IEM + straight to FOH.
If you want some live feel however, then either wedges and/or a backline amp/cab.

Just different solutions depending on your needs/wants/situation. And within each, there happen to be several choices, as well as widely varying amounts of more money to spend.

Those seem like crucial distinctions. Maybe most of the cross talk is when one
recommendation is made for a purpose it is not ideally suited for. Helps to know
what context/situation we are both aiming for, and coming from.

You don’t like the sound through studio monitors so ?
I like it, it’s ok, but it’s for sure not as good for me as when monitoring via real cab.. and yes, I sold my vh4 but, the dizzy v4 has mistake in ch3, that’s why it doesn’t sound as it should, but I’m not going into this rabbit hole again to explain why.. it’s pretty much already explained in it’s own thread.

Those seem like crucial distinctions. Maybe most of the cross talk is when one
recommendation is made for a purpose it is not ideally suited for. Helps to know
what context/situation we are both aiming for, and coming from.
You know, that's a good point. I've noticed sometimes when threads are discussing monitoring solutions, I can sort of tell that some replies aren't necessarily coming from the same context, or situation, as others. Lots of variables when you're dealing with gear that can do as much as FAS gear can!

Hey, man, I'm just posting the email newsletter I received today from BadCat amplifiers... my opinion is in the thread title. ;)
BadCat makes some awesome amps. For them and many other builders, it’s a labor of love for a device that is kind of wondrous to behold, thus the somewhat humorous, gushing and not completely accurate love letter. Typical of any love letter if you ask me LOL.

That said, IMO Cliff shares that same wonder, fascination and love for the device itself. Add to that an obsession with understanding it at the most detailed level AND translating that into code.

The fact that Cliff has worked this long to crack the code on the phenomenon that is a tube amp speaks to how difficult it is. Cliff’s work is in many ways his own love letter to the platform. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
BadCat makes some awesome amps. For them and many other builders, it’s a labor of love for a device that is kind of wondrous to behold, thus the somewhat humorous, gushing and not completely accurate love letter. Typical of any love letter if you ask me LOL.

That said, IMO Cliff shares that same wonder, fascination and love for the device itself. Add to that an obsession with understanding it at the most detailed level AND translating that into code.

The fact that Cliff has worked this long to crack the code on the phenomenon that is a tube amp speaks to how difficult it is. Cliff’s work is in many ways his own love letter to the platform. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Very well said, poetic even. You must write great song lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom