Got a Mayones Regius 7 baritone - recorded some pretty, shiny cleans!

Hey folks,

For those of you who haven't been over to the lounge, I picked this up from a seller in Hong Kong. Got a snazzy deal on it.

The strings are beat to hell after being tuned down for travel, sent across the world, and then tuned back up to play on. Still though - guitar sounds pretty decent all things considered. Oh yeah - the guitar is loaded with a Crunchlab/Liquifier combo, and I dare say these are the first DiMarzio pickups that I've ever really enjoyed playing with. This sound sample is in the middle position, which I find to be nice and chimey but still warm and soothing. The amp is a USA clean patch I made up with OH V2 cabs and a dash of stereo tape delay and verb. I hope you enjoy it!

Ermahgerd! Somebody just compared my tone to Tosin. I can die now! :D

Seriously. I can't wait to get some fresh strings on this bad boy and hear how it "really" sounds.

Jalonhall, I would totally share that patch, but since it's got OH cabs on it, I cannot do it. But it's seriously an easy patch to set up.

USA Clean 2
Drive: 4.02
Bass: 4.22
Mids: 5
Treble: 5.04
Presence: 4.41
Master: 5
Bright and Cut Switch "On"
Thunk: 4.33

Cab is a mix of the OH Mesa V32 and Marshall CB CH V30. I mixed up a mono cab using AOM DSP (could use cablab) of SM57 and R121 on both cabinets. Running 2 stereo cabs is processor heavy and I DO hear a difference in quality.

Then I just routed to a stereo tape delay with some light modulation set up and a VERY slight difference in ratio (ratio set at 98%) that gives the sound an even more "3-D" effect. The feedback is set really high (like 63%).

To me, the trick to getting that really shimmery effect is a combo of using the right modulation and also setting up the delay EQ correctly. I cut as much low as I need to make it so the delay isn't overpowering, and I shave off he highs until it sits where I need it to. For really sparse textures you can get away with a lot more. Here, I low-cut at 180 Hz, and high-cut at 5000 Hz. Sometimes I get much more extreme. Like 500 and 2000 or even 1000.

Then I just slapped in a little studio reverb and let her rip. The final touch was using that very soft pad made up rather quickly in Omnisphere. It's the "Grammaphone in A Major" sample with a 12 db juicy filter on it, some mild tone shifting to the lower mids (too much sizzle otherwise) and a little bit of unison harmonizing with some spread to give it a nicer plump. Glad you liked the sounds!

Back
Top Bottom