Got a $100 bucks...should I....?

Bman

Power User
Get AB's Naked amp pack or Cooper Carter's master class?

I'm coming from 2 years experience with AX8 and had AB's Naked Amps for the AX8. I tend to live around one or two amps and 3 or 4 core 'sounds', being crunch, highergain or lead, clean (jtm or fender) and clean ambient. I've got those sounds dialed in out of the box but they need some tweaking. The thing I loved about AB's pack is all the amps are set up, leveled and paired with a cab. Good to go and minimal tweaking.

I've never experienced CC's master class, but from the index or table of contents, I feel only 50%, I'd be interested in. And I figure I can troubleshoot what I want to do via the Fractal forums. I mean half the battle is knowing what it is you want to do or can do. The other half is figuring out how. The last part of that is documented in the manuals, user videos or I can raise my hand for help. So, does the masterclass benefit me the way the Naked Amps would?

I would watch free videos that are available and save the money for what isn't freely available.

If you really want to spend money on one of those, I see more value in learning how to use the system than buying presets.

I have the Naked Amps pack, and although they are great I didn't really get much out of them, as I bought them after years of rollong my own with Fractal products and already knew how to get what I wanted to out of them. They are fine examples if you are starting, but it makes more sense to learn how things interact with video than try to reverse engineer anothers patches if you are just getting started.

I have both. But would say the @ccroyalsenders videos are top notch and worth it if you want to really expand your knowledge of the unit by means of an instructional course. I found many of the videos that I thought wouldn’t apply to me were very useful. It gets the wheels turning in your head about all of possibilities available. And you never know when you might actually need to apply some of those concepts.

It comes with presets that are worked out in each course. So another added benefit. The recent FC content provides a great approach to layouts.
Anyway... I think you will find the value of the course to be well worth it. And something you will watch multiple times to really soak it in. Finally, watching someone that does this for a living with major artists is a great insight. I found in many cases I can really over complicate things. And this helps show you don’t need to.

Thanks guys.... It's clear cut. I don't know what I'm gonna do....lol.

I think @Budda 's advice might be the way to go. Who knows what's ahead of us with the beer virus. If I get quarantined at least I've got a billion amps and effects to play with to kill my time. Heck, I could finish all the songs ideas and finally make my own personal album.

I'll probably binge watch Netflix and tinker around on my tone.

Beato's ear training course is great. CC's course will help you get to know the Axe in a comprehensive manner without having to be distracted by searching and wondering what to search for. Presets are ok if they work for you, but guitars and cables change things enough so that I have to tweak them anyway.

I have purchased both and full honesty I'm not sure I really got enough out of either of them.

I liked the old Dream Amp pack for the AX8, but the Axe 3 version doesn't do anything for me. I'm not sure why. Just the tones to my ears aren't anything of what I want to hear (they seem really bright and buzzy).

The Cooper Carter class is good, but I'm not sure it made a huge different in how I dial in my sounds. I think his course is a great shortcut for someone brand new to the Axe but if you had the AX8 for a while you may already know quite a bit about it. Like you said, I really was only interested in half of it.

Again, full honesty, I learn more from threads on this forum like Yek's guide, and Leon Todd's videos. Leon goes into more detail in a variety of amps which to me is helpful because that's the hardest part to figure out (compared to say setting up blocks in a grid).

If I had $100 burning a hole in my pocket I'd probably look at the Ownhammer Revolution bundle for $30 and bank the rest. That's a pretty good value to get a huge variety of aftermarket cabs that are pretty consistent. I like the York stuff too but for the money that OH bundle can't be beat.

Put it in a piggy bank labeled "FM3 is the future of great tone"

what??!! I just bought the Ax3 w/ FC-6 because I couldn’t wait any longer. I sold my baby, a ‘73 Marshall. So I’m all in as far as the future of tone goes.

Maybe I’ll save to buy a pwr amp to run my 4x12 so I can remember what that’s like.

Back
Top Bottom