Goofy "habits"

MrGuitarabuse

Fractal Fanatic
Why is it that when Im sitting noodling on my guitar (not plugged in) I still without thinking cranking up the volume knob...

what goofy "habits" do you have?

Invariably playing the same set of chords / runs when first picking up a guitar...

Ok, that's not so 'goofy' and probably more of a reflection on how little technical progress I've actually made over the last 15 years, but I do find myself going
rolleyes.gif
in much the same way

Same thing with it not being plugged in. I switch pickups out of sheer habit. And then laugh at myself for doing so. LOL

I nearly always strum a D and G chord as soon as I pick up my guitar. I think I'm subconsciously checking the tuning but either way it has turned into a habit.

I always wash my hands before I touch a guitar. If someone even touches my hands on the way to the stage it's back to the bathroom.

If someone else plays one of my guitars I have to polish it and the strings or I can feel the oil and sweat from their hands.

I'm not a germaphobe at all. I just like squeaky clean guitars.

Caught myself a couple weeks ago playing the guitar with headphones on ,probably about five minutes.Hadn't even turn the axe on,oops:D.ya I"ll play my guitar unpluged and turn the volume up :encouragement:

Why is it that when Im sitting noodling on my guitar (not plugged in) I still without thinking cranking up the volume knob...

what goofy "habits" do you have?

I can beat that, though it's not a habit thankfully. One time I was driving my wife to work and the radio was OFF (that's important to the story). We were just driving along and she was talking to me, but the windows were down a bit so there was a lot of wind noise in the car and I couldn't hear her very well. Without even thinking, I reached out and turned up the volume knob on the radio so I could hear her better. Yeah....it's moments like that that really make you question the inner workings of your brain. :p

I had two such moments this week alone. It was 3am and I couldn't sleep. So I thought I would practice. I turned on the rig, put on the headphones, was playing along at a decent volume in another room since my headphones and guitar are wireless. After about 30 mins I just have this feeling like there is a thumping going on. I lift one ear of the headphones. Nothing. I play a little more. There it is again. I lift the headphones again and there someone knocking on my door. I open it and the neighbor says "can you turn it down it's 3:30am!!!". I had left my A7's on from earlier in the day in the other room. Doooh!

And the classic one was picking up my landline phone and dialing the number to call. "Damn! it's not dialing." Hang it up and pick it up again. Same thing. On the third try I realize I am dialing the number on the number pad of my keyboard. Yikes! :nightmare:

And the classic one was picking up my landline phone and dialing the number to call. "Damn! it's not dialing." Hang it up and pick it up again. Same thing. On the third try I realize I am dialing the number on the number pad of my keyboard. Yikes! :nightmare:

That's not a goofy habit... that's getting old!

I can beat that, though it's not a habit thankfully. One time I was driving my wife to work and the radio was OFF (that's important to the story). We were just driving along and she was talking to me, but the windows were down a bit so there was a lot of wind noise in the car and I couldn't hear her very well. Without even thinking, I reached out and turned up the volume knob on the radio so I could hear her better. Yeah....it's moments like that that really make you question the inner workings of your brain. :p

If im driving somewhere unfamiliar looking for a place I always need to turn the music/radio volume down so I can "see" better. Its like my eyes cant focus or concentrate if the music is too loud

Maybe more OCD than goofy... I always sit cross-legged on the floor and my pick has to be on my left side in front of me or I can't find it. But, I'm a righty. :?

Back
Top Bottom