Goodbye to Dave Smith (Sequential Circuits)

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
https://www.sequential.com

Sequential announced today that Dave Smith has passed away at the age of 72 (1950-2022).

“It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that Dave Smith has died. We’re heartbroken, but take some small solace in knowing he was on the road doing what he loved best in the company of family, friends, and artists. Please visit our website If you’d like to share your thoughts and memories of Dave.” communicated Sequential.

So many sad goodbyes lately!

Last edited:
I didn't know he was sick. That is horrible news. Sequential is such a great synth company, I kind of took them for granted. Moog and Sequential are my favorite synths. I hope the person that takes over approaches the position with the same integrity Dave Smith had. He will be missed.

Sad, the Sequential Circuits founder, and the creator of the first digitally controlled analog Pro-FX for guitar back in the day, as well as the various Prophet Synths and one of the MIDI originators.

The Sequential Pro-FX was it's era's Axe FX! The Pro-FX was marketed to guitar players as a multi-effects unit. It featured a Phase Shifter, a Compressor/Distortion, a 4x2 mixer, 3-Band Parametric EQ with external sweep abilities, Reverb, and Divider/Sync, and a Digital Delay/Flanger/Chorus, and later on updatable with that new fangled MIDI. Quite an innovative product for it's time but expensive. The Pro-FX was completely digitally programmable with a "glide" function that allowed you to move smoothly between patches.

I used one for years before newer digital multi-fx made it obsolete, though it really did sound great (much better than early digital).
RIP Dave!

Back
Top Bottom