Good Times with ASDR

Eliju

Experienced
There's a lot of cool things you can do with the ASDR that aren't quite possible with a regular envelope. I don't know why I didn't realize all of this before. For example, if you want to make an auto volume swell, the ASDR is way better because you can set it to stay fully open as long as your signal is past the threshold. If you do this, you'll also want to set it to sustain mode and enable retrig. Then simply attach the volume control of the volume block to the ASDR and you're all set. This is especially useful if you want to feed your auto-swell into some kind of ambient delay.

Now, if you were to put the volume block after your ambient delay you can get some pretty neat effects. It seems the ASDR is controlled from the front input, not whatever block is feeding into it, meaning if you hit a chord and hold it out, the ASDR will activate and your ambient delay will sound. If you let go of the chord, the Release parameter will take effect and the ambient sound will fade out however fast your Release is set. Now the really cool thing is that your delay block will still be carrying out that nice, long ambient sound, so if you were to trigger the ASDR again, even by just moving your hand on the strings (a low threshold is good for this and maybe even a comp in front), the ambient sound will be audible again.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The first part is just the volume block feeding into the ambient delay. The 2nd part has it configured as described above.

Also, here's a link to the patch.
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4573

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 12.13.41 PM.png

that is very cool! I can see this being used in kind of an automated "kill switch" kind of way among many other interesting ways. Thanks for taking the time to post this!

Back
Top Bottom