Good time or terrible time to buy Axe-Fx II?

Gasp100

Power User
Long time Fractal user, had every version (except the Ultra, it was too much for me at the time). I settled on the AX8 and noticed in my buying history I actually bought it TWICE from Fractal over 3 years LOL. I sold mine two weeks ago, I think to get into an amp again and help pay off a nice Tele. But, that was a mistake.
I'm on the III waiting list, but still wondering if it will be too much and cost too much. The price would literally blow my current gear budget in one shot. I'd have to sell more gear to even grab a midi controller.

Of course I'm also looking at used AX8's, but people are asking $100-200 more than what I sold for so of course I cannot accept that :)

But I've seen at least 2 AxeFX II's (mark II's) for like $1100... knowing that these can run v1 or Ares (and maybe even more?) I'm wondering if I should consider grabbing the II. This would also allow me to use a 4 space rack I have with power conditioner and maybe look at rack power amp. I currently have 2 excellent cabs and I've been on this real amp / cab trip for a while.

I could use the II direct FOH and without cab sim through power amp into my real cabs. All for less than the cost of the III.

Thoughts?

Buying any fractal product is NEVER a regret. Sure, the newest model is and will always be the way to go because most presets are created for that specifically. But, there are software that'll convert those newer presets to the previous models. Everyone is happy with what they have currently. It's just a matter of knowing how to take control of what you have and use it the way you intended to. Plus, we still will be getting updates. Just not HUGE drastic ones that'll leave us in the dust forever (not yet at least).

I say, just get the II. You won't be dissatisfied.

I suspect that there will be a number of people who have been waiting on the fc-12 to make the transition from 2 to 3 (I know I’m one ) Now that we know the fc-12 ‘s are inbound again and should fill the waiting list, I would expect to see more 2’s on the market soon. As you know, it’s still a great unit, and Cliff threw some more magic in it recently.

I prefer my XL+ to my III but I haven't spent much time with it since I wanted to really learn my XL+ before spending more time with the III.

Also, I initially wasn't a big fan of the way the III sounds/feels but it was this way when I first purchased a Axe FX MKI and compared it to my dialed in Ultra (I liked the Ultra better).

Over time all the firmware updates for the MKI made it the better unit for me so I sold that 1st Ultra (I recently purchased another Ultra since there were some things I missed in the Ultra).

Eventually, I sold my MKI and purchased an XL+ which would be something I would recommend to anyone over the other Axe FX II models.

I don't see myself getting rid of the XL+ since it sounds/feels great and I can use it for live with a tube preamp and power amp and it sounds great with OH cab packs for recording.

It fits in 2 spaces in a rack if I am trying to save rack space.

If you keep looking around then eventually you can find an XL/XL+ for a pretty good price (I purchased a 2nd one for less than a $1,000 recently), and there will be a likely increase in them for sale due to the new floor controllers coming out.

The Axe FX Ultra hung out at the 1000-1100 price point for ages. To see the II available at that price is a dream, I've been really tempted to buy one and I have no reason to.

I have an Axe FXIIXL+ and Axe FXIII. The Axe FXII still sounds great. Dweezil Zappa uses a couple of them live still. They are not obsolete at all. Of course the Axe FXIII sounds great also and will continue to evolve. You can't go wrong with either.

I bought the 2XL+ brand new at G66 in may 2015, I have no issue with firmware updating stopping.

My only concern is if it was breaking, I've been anxious for a few months, since I couldn't be able to buy another one...

The II is great but the 3 is much better. It is 3U but it’s lighter and much shallower, making it easier to carry.
If you buy the II, you’ll keep asking yourself: What if ...
Return it within 14 days if it doesn’t live up to your expectations. If it’s longer, you’ll just take a minor hit when selling.

The II is great but the 3 is much better. It is 3U but it’s lighter and much shallower, making it easier to carry.
If you buy the II, you’ll keep asking yourself: What if ...
Return it within 14 days if it doesn’t live up to your expectations. If it’s longer, you’ll just take a minor hit when selling.

Ah, this is a great realistic point. I have a great rolling 4 space rack and was concerned about the III being 3U, but as you point out it's shallower (my rack power is REALLY shallow) and lighter. Hmmmmm.....

The II is a complete product, vetted over many years and firmware's. Tones dialed in will be unlikely to change due to more firmware's. It sounds great now, many albums and tours have been completed with them. It's half the price of the III now. There are pros and cons for both, make a list.

If you can swing the III go for it and don’t look back. It’s got a great interface, the new foot controller are amazing and so easy to program, and there are lots of cool new features being added at a crazy pace. II is a great unit, but the III is really just better in every way. If you can swing it I don’t think you’ll have any regrets.

The III is probably better, but the II is still the best amp/pedal modeler in the world, except for the III. And still better then anything the competition has to offer. Line 6? Boss? In their dreams maybe. Overall the II is still perfectly fine. And now that firmware updates with 99.9% certainty have stopped we can finally perfect our presets without having to tweak them all over again each couple of months. Is it nice to get another update? Yeah, but I was perfectly happy with the sound I had several updates ago already. Anyway, if you like how your AX-8 sounds you can expect the exact same sound from the II, only with more onboard CPU and more effects.

So get the II if you're looking for the next best thing other then the III. Or not. Your mileage may vary.

I would go with the III. The II is still great but most, if not all, the new innovation will be geared towards the III.

The 2 can be made to sound great without too much trouble. The 3 is easier though and the great is greater. Only get the 2 if you can’t afford the 3.

With the new Ares firmware, getting a II at half the price of a III is a no-brainer unless you have a big wad of cash that's burning a hole in your pocket. I just got my used II unit with a MFC-101 board for $1,200. Ecstatic.

Last edited:
Well, lets put it this way, its definitely not a good time to sell the II, thats for sure. In the Netherlands there are many units on the market that are not being sold.

I paid 2600 euro for a new XL only a couple of years ago, and in terms of financial value this looks like my worst investment I ever made by far. I estimate the true value on the current used market at about 1000 euro. In my opinion, thats practically worthless.

I could afford a III, but I just cant justify another unit if I cannot sell the XL at a remotely acceptable price.

The problem is, in Europe we pay a staggering amount of import tax and other price increases. The III is listed as 2.900 euro...
This addded cost means that the list price doesnt represent the true value of the product. So once you try to sell it, you will take a bigger
hit by comparison.

That said, I recently sold my ten year old mark V and I only lost a couple of hundred. Some USA products keep their value very well, regardless of the initial problem of Import tax etc. Unfortunately for me, that doesnt apply to the fractal. Im gonna think long and hard before I invest in the III. Perhaps I can do it if the dollar exchance rates become more favourable in a couple of years.

Or maybe I will buy a used Triaxis for about 800 and keep the XL for effects. That would be a nice addition.

Lets see what happens

Get the II if you want a mature platform that will not change (after the next firmware release). For me, this is the number one reason, and why I use the II for gigging and the III for studio. The fewer presets you use, the less compelling this reason may be.

I loved my XL+ and would have been perfectly happy if it was the last product FAS ever offered. That said, if you can afford it, I'd get the III and then buy the cheapest MIDI controller you can stand until you can afford something more elaborate (like an FC, assuming you need/want something more elaborate). The III is amazing, and improving almost by the day.

I loved my XL+ and would have been perfectly happy if it was the last product FAS ever offered. That said, if you can afford it, I'd get the III and then buy the cheapest MIDI controller you can stand until you can afford something more elaborate (like an FC, assuming you need/want something more elaborate). The III is amazing, and improving almost by the day.

This ^^^^^^ ... except I do have an FC12 and it’s crazy good w/ the 3. Powerful and seamless.

It's never a bad time to buy a II, and the prices are undoubtedly much better, now. The III is certainly more "future-proof", but it's a personal decision on whether it's worth the extra money.

Since I don't actually have any extra money right now, I'm spared this dilemma. :)

Back
Top Bottom