Good studio speakers for Axe + bass?

Velokki

Inspired
I just got a really good bass (a Wal, jimfist might remember me, haha).

And I just can't play it through my Behringer Truth 2030A set of speakers. The bass is almost unplayable through them. They're decent speakers overall, but I just don't hear the frequencies in amounts required to feel like I'm playing a bass.

Is it even realistic to have decent bass sound with studio speakers? Such that you can noodle around and play with.

What speakers would you recommend?
No specific budget set, but don't wanna spend thousands.

Add a powered sub, it will handle the low end, and by taking some low range away from your nearfields actually may improve the tone from them.

Lots of good options, just find something with an adjustable crossover so you can tailor where the sub starts and what freq. the signal starts getting sent to the nearfields

I have a Prosonus Temblor T10, it was like $250 used, 10", 250 watts, shakes the house. One cool thing about it is that it has a foot switch so you can bypass the sub and send the fullrange single to the nearfields. Great way to listen to with and without the sub mix options

Since you're in Finland, splurge on a set of Genelec M040s, about 1200€ for a pair. I've been really happy with mine and play bass through them too. The XLR + RCA inputs are also handy because I can hook up Axe-Fx into one and my audio interface into the other and they seem to coexist rather nicely. They have a good set of controls in the back for cutting bass if you have to position them less than optimally.

I looked into getting a sub for them but Genelec recommended one of their bigass 7060 or something which would be completely overkill for use at home. To me the monitors themselves go low enough.

If you type "studio monitors" in the search field, there's almost 300 threads already.

But 299 of those results likely aren’t addressing the issue of handling bass guitar. The OP already owns a pair of decent nearfield studio monitors, so they typical “which near field” questions everyone asks aren’t very helpful.

But 299 of those results likely aren’t addressing the issue of handling bass guitar. The OP already owns a pair of decent nearfield studio monitors, so they typical “which near field” questions everyone asks aren’t very helpful.

Fair enough. I'll just climb back down under my rock again :)

+1 on addition of a subwoofer. Even my 15 inch 3 ways have subwoofers and benefit from them as do my smaller monitors. Depending on your setup, you can setup the desk to send appropriate signals to the subwoofers based on the selected monitors which is a great option.

Thanks
Pauly

I only heard those monitors (2030A) once for a very short time. I never tried to make them sound any better but they didn't sound very good to me to be honest. I would suggest a decent set of monitors with a subwoofer. You'll get all the bass you need. I use Event 2020BAS monitors that have had the tweeters replaced after many years of use, and a KRK sub. The key is getting the sub and speakers balanced properly and the crossover point on the sub set properly.
There are lots of mid-priced speakers available that won't break the bank. You really need to go to a store to A/B them. Just take some tracks that you're familiar with that you like the bass on.

Back
Top Bottom