Good reactive load?

ptgold

Inspired
Looking for something under 400 to use with a tube amp and the AXE 2 IRs. The torpedo is way too expensive. Just need a reactive load box with line out and good feel

Pete Thorn keeps "dropping hints" about an un-named manufacturer that has developed a reactive load and that he has been testing it ....

He is saying it's the best "feeling" of all of the units he's either owned, tested, or played through ....

I don't think that there's any more "hints" of features, etc; Or if there is, I haven't seen them ....

I'm hoping it's John Suhr, but I've got absolutely ZERO information on which to base that assumption ....

Pete says it's worth waiting for ....

Pete Thorn keeps "dropping hints" about an un-named manufacturer that has developed a reactive load and that he has been testing it ....

He is saying it's the best "feeling" of all of the units he's either owned, tested, or played through ....

I don't think that there's any more "hints" of features, etc; Or if there is, I haven't seen them ....

I'm hoping it's John Suhr, but I've got absolutely ZERO information on which to base that assumption ....

Pete says it's worth waiting for ....

Are we talking about a solid state amp with a reactive addition?

You can get used Palmer's for about that if you're patient. I used a PGA-04 for years before Cliff made my life better by inventing the Axe-Fx.

You can get used Palmer's for about that if you're patient. I used a PGA-04 for years before Cliff made my life better by inventing the Axe-Fx.

that is not a reactive load. I have the rockcrusher which is really nice.

I have a torpedo live is a reactive load is well, that is really nice w/ cab modeling. Of course both are over $400.

Last edited:
that is not a reactive load. I have the rockcrusher which is really nice.

What do you consider a "reactive load" then because that's been Palmer's marketing schtick on the PDI-03 and PGA-04 since...forever. Both contain tungsten filament lamps for the reactive loading part, not fixed, high-power bleed resistors like the HotPlate and those sorts of things.

What do you consider a "reactive load" then because that's been Palmer's marketing schtick on the PDI-03 and PGA-04 since...forever. Both contain tungsten filament lamps for the reactive loading part, not fixed, high-power bleed resistors like the HotPlate and those sorts of things.

hmm, I though the were not, According to them there are.

wondering if I could use a Badcat Unleash for this

The Unleash looks like a nice versatile device. I've read it uses a Bang & Olufson IcePower module which makes it very tempting

Regarding Pete Thorn: I thought I saw in one of his posts/videos that he likes the Rockcrusher.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Suhr & Jim Kelley come out with something too. Jim's Line Amp from the 80's had a power amp for tone into a buit-in attenuator and a second power amp for volume. Alan Holdsworth used one.

Koch LB120-II is the best loadbox I've use hands down , (if your looking for an option to reduce volume and crank the amp higher) and I've tried pretty much all of them at one time or the other ( with the exception of the one Pete is talking about) it's a bit over your budget ,around $650 new,but might find a used one in your price range , I sold all mine a few years ago after getting into the Fractal world , no need anymore !

Back
Top Bottom