Good headphone suggestions

My definition of good is as neutral / flat as possible, and by that definition I'd overwhelmingly recommend the Sennheiser HD600's, which is right below the threshold of your budget.

I've tried a lot of different headphones and I'll second the recommendation for the Sennheiser HD600's. Not only do they have the flat response that is so important, but I find my ears fatigue less with them over long mixing sessions.

Don't forget about the Beyerdynamic DT-880s. I think Cliff recommended them a while back, but he since might have updated what he uses.

Don't forget about the Beyerdynamic DT-880s. I think Cliff recommended them a while back, but he since might have updated what he uses.

Thanx for the recommendation. Those are more in my price range. I checked Amazon and it shows various ohmage ratings. 32, 320 & 640. Which would you suggest? What would be the best option for use with the axe fx ii? Thanx!

As mentioned, $199 is for the HD 6XX's, which is an incredible price considering they're rebranded HD 650's. As for the HD 600's, the Axe had no trouble powering them, and I've used them with an old Android phone(Moto G), to which they sounded great to my ears. Granted, the phone won't drive them at earsplitting levels, but that's just as well in my case.
Thanx for the recommendation. Those are more in my price range. I checked Amazon and it shows various ohmage ratings. 32, 320 & 640. Which would you suggest? What would be the best option for use with the axe fx ii? Thanx!
Get the lowest ohm rating possible. The lower the impedance, the easier it is for the Axe or your device to push them.

I tried the Beyerdynamic DT-880s in a higher ohm... They sounded amazing, just didn't get loud enough for my needs. If they make it in a 32 ohm, thats a great option.

I tried the Beyerdynamic DT-880s in a higher ohm... They sounded amazing, just didn't get loud enough for my needs. If they make it in a 32 ohm, thats a great option.

I looked them up and noticed on the box that the 32ohm is best suited for mp3 players and portable players. Probably because the smaller devices dont like the higher load on them. The 640ohm model says best suited for “higher end”systems. Looks like the 320ohm model best suits the axe fx because its right in the middle of both.

I looked them up and noticed on the box that the 32ohm is best suited for mp3 players and portable players. Probably because the smaller devices dont like the higher load on them. The 640ohm model says best suited for “higher end”systems. Looks like the 320ohm model best suits the axe fx because its right in the middle of both.

Where did you find a 320 ohm version of the DT-880?

I was following the other thread, so I Bought the Mix-fis. They sound great, but I found them very uncomfortable. Maybe I have a big head. I couldn't were them for more than 15 minutes. I am returning them and buying the Sennheiser 600 - based on this thread.

I was following the other thread, so I Bought the Mix-fis. They sound great, but I found them very uncomfortable. Maybe I have a big head. I couldn't were them for more than 15 minutes. I am returning them and buying the Sennheiser 600 - based on this thread.

Thanx for the info! Lol...

I've mixed on the 600's for hours without any discomfort.

I've always used AKG K240s. They are a lot cheaper but I don't know if I'm missing something that the Sennheisers have going for them. I see the HDs recommended a lot. Being a cheap bastard I easily spend the $69US for the AKGs instead of dropping 200-300pr.

I've always used AKG K240s. They are a lot cheaper but I don't know if I'm missing something that the Sennheisers have going for them. I see the HDs recommended a lot. Being a cheap bastard I easily spend the $69US for the AKGs instead of dropping 200-300pr.

Im a cheap bastard as well, but I am also looking for the best I can. No matter the price to a point. Lol

Back
Top Bottom