Good FW14 Cleans

Gamedojo

Power User
Hear are three amps set clean. Nuclear Tone, Vibraverb and a Princeton Reverb with 6l6. Very similar tones, but they each have their own characteristics.

Nuclear-Tone

Vibroverb

Princton Reverb (w/6l6)

I'm loving the cleans on FW14. There is a muscle to the clean that sounds very "real" to me (whatever that is). In my band, clean is where I sit for about 75% of all the music we play, so this sound is incredibly important.

Same here. I now use the double verb, which I either just always didn't appreciate enough or didn't like because it wasn't that good in previous versions. (I hope this sentence makes sense) But this tone is a monster (a clean one, yes they do exist!)!

I really need to give the Double Verb a try again. The reason you like it in FW14 so much is Cliff found he had the wrong PI gain setting for that Amp Model and fixed it for FW14.

...though, in my experience with real fender amps, Twins always sounded a bit too Scooped for me. I've always been a 50w Fender guy myself. More midrange meat. I can only assume that applies to the axefx too...

Same here. I now use the double verb, which I either just always didn't appreciate enough or didn't like because it wasn't that good in previous versions. (I hope this sentence makes sense) But this tone is a monster (a clean one, yes they do exist!)!

I really need to give the Double Verb a try again. The reason you like it in FW14 so much is Cliff found he had the wrong PI gain setting for that Amp Model and fixed it for FW14.

...though, in my experience with real fender amps, Twins always sounded a bit too Scooped for me. I've always been a 50w Fender guy myself. More midrange meat. I can only assume that applies to the axefx too...

I agree about a real Twin with stock speakers. Maybe scooped as it is known today is a little overboard... but lots of touring players put more efficient speakers in Twins to let the good stuff out :) Like JBL's.

I just built a clean preset with the Double, which I also didn't like previously. Once tweaked a tad, it sounded pretty darned good!

So many, as in one two. The cleans are great and match my actual amps.

I counted 5 including me. They sound great but none of the recordings here are what I would call crystal clean. The Princeton is the closest. Also, none of these amps are ones I have issues with.

Hear are three amps set clean. Nuclear Tone, Vibraverb and a Princeton Reverb with 6l6. Very similar tones, but they each have their own characteristics.
I've always been partial to the Vibroverb, more midrange sophistication to my ears. Put a blue drive before, gosh.
Your reverb always sounds great. What are you using? Do you tweak them much?

...Your reverb always sounds great. What are you using? Do you tweak them much?

Why thanks:) but not tweaking or anything particularly special.

Small room reverb
parallel path to signal
100% mix
-8db Level

Sometimes I use the "studio" reverb in my patches when I'm looking for more of a grander sort of effect. Less intimate room and more studio magic sorta sounds. But those are really the only two I tend to use.

Thats really it. I spent a lot of time with the reverbs to find what I felt like what it sort of sounded like to play in a pretty good sounding room. Its more about subtle air and space then reverb.

parallel path to signal
100% mix

Tyler

How did you arrive at parallel & 100% mix being preferable to series and say, 30% mix for you..?

Not questioning your approach, just curious as to why you opt for that method - is it purely to maintain a consistent 'direct' level..?

Yes, I turn off reverb and delay on more then a couple of songs (especially anywhere I'm playing Nile Rodgers stuff :) .... and it keeps volume consistent. Plus, it saves me one horizontal block space by having the delay and reverb in line vertically.

Also, its slightly a mental thing too. I like to think of it approached the same way a studio would where the sound is recorded dry and reverb/delay effects added during production. Even if technically it sounds the same with it in series and a mix of less then 100%, I like having a straight bypass to know I've got 100% dry signal hitting the speakers all the time no matter how much or little "wet" i add to it.
Tyler

How did you arrive at parallel & 100% mix being preferable to series and say, 30% mix for you..?

Not questioning your approach, just curious as to why you opt for that method - is it purely to maintain a consistent 'direct' level..?

Back
Top Bottom