Good FRFR Speaker to Pair with FM9?

JJDon

I'll be switching from a Helix Floor to the FM9 soon and was looking for some recommendations for an FRFR speaker to pair with it for home use and playing with a band. I currently use a Headrush 108 with my Helix, but it gets pretty bassy, even at low levels. I don't have the space or want to elevate it either which I've heard can help. Also, an input for aux on a speaker would be nice too incase I want to hook up my MP3 player to it.

I did see the QSC CP8 maybe a good alternative, but want to get some more recommendations first before selling my Headrush. And sorry, I'm sure this topic has probably been done to death already lol.

Mission Engineering Gemini
I have tons of cabs laying around my man cave which I have tried. The best in my opinion is the Mission Engineering Gemini II.
My close second is the XiTone which I use for smaller venues.

Others I have tried include, Friedman ASM, Roland, Atomic CLR. I'd love to sell them but the shipping would kill me. Now collecting dust.

I've got a Gemini II live with no bluetooth...manufactured in October 2020....I'm having two issues:

1. Upon power up (yes, there's the pop), in adjusting the volume knob in the first few minutes causes an extreme loud crackling sound out of the speaker. Doesn't matter if volume was set at zero or max at start up..just the slightest tweak and it sounds like the speaker is going to blow...however, after a few minutes of warm up and/or vigourous twisting of the knob, the issue goes away....it comes back everytime on power up, though...no matter if I turn on/off immediately or turn off and wait an hour....

2. The right speaker is not as clear as the left speaker. I'm using a FM3 and thought it was related to my patch so I created a new patch with just input and output....no amp, cabs or effect blocks....I panned the balance left, then right to test and it's quite noticeable. I did a frequency sweep of each side using youtube (from 20Hz to 20KHz) and it "seems" that I can hear from 50Hz to about 11K (I'm 52 years old!) at a given volume (not too loud) but I have not tried determining if any specific frequencies are dampened.

I didn't realize either of these issues earlier as I'd turn the cab on with volume at a certain point (usually max) and not adjusting and also ran in stereo using a Y cable...the speaker issue became apparent when using a ping pong delay (stereo) and noticing the right signal was a bit muffled/muddy....I've reached out to Mission Engineering twice over a 1 week period with no reply.

BTW, I also have a Xitone active wedge and am considering purchasing another for playing in stereo.....also have Adam Audio A7X monitors (love them!)

Very frustrated....welcome any thoughts...

I've got a Gemini II live with no bluetooth...manufactured in October 2020....I'm having two issues:

1. Upon power up (yes, there's the pop), in adjusting the volume knob in the first few minutes causes an extreme loud crackling sound out of the speaker. Doesn't matter if volume was set at zero or max at start up..just the slightest tweak and it sounds like the speaker is going to blow...however, after a few minutes of warm up and/or vigourous twisting of the knob, the issue goes away....it comes back everytime on power up, though...no matter if I turn on/off immediately or turn off and wait an hour....

2. The right speaker is not as clear as the left speaker. I'm using a FM3 and thought it was related to my patch so I created a new patch with just input and output....no amp, cabs or effect blocks....I panned the balance left, then right to test and it's quite noticeable. I did a frequency sweep of each side using youtube (from 20Hz to 20KHz) and it "seems" that I can hear from 50Hz to about 11K (I'm 52 years old!) at a given volume (not too loud) but I have not tried determining if any specific frequencies are dampened.

I didn't realize either of these issues earlier as I'd turn the cab on with volume at a certain point (usually max) and not adjusting and also ran in stereo using a Y cable...the speaker issue became apparent when using a ping pong delay (stereo) and noticing the right signal was a bit muffled/muddy....I've reached out to Mission Engineering twice over a 1 week period with no reply.

BTW, I also have a Xitone active wedge and am considering purchasing another for playing in stereo.....also have Adam Audio A7X monitors (love them!)

Very frustrated....welcome any thoughts...
The Gem II power up pop is a known behavior from what I have researched online.

Yep, the pop is not my issue (recognize it exists....as you likely know, higher end audio amps have a circuit to eliminate the capacitor charging which causes the pop)

The issue presents itself with no input signal attached as well....nothing plugged into the cab (except, of course, the power cord). Being at max should not be an issue unless there's an input signal...

The only thing I've not done is call....that's next....

Was purchased from Sweetwater....was listed as a demo unit....clearly, makes me wonder...

Called Mission and spoke to their support group....first issue sounds like a capacitance issue...second issue requires a perfomace analysis in an anechoic type room...net, only way to tell is to send back to them to address both matters : (

I use a pair of Electro-Voice PXM-12MP and love them. I had the FM9 and the pair of speakers out last night, and a friend of mine who's been running a digital rig for years wandered over and told me my rig sounded really good, so there's that.

(My friend is on a maxed-out AX8, with lots of outboard pedals to supplement it, and he's supposed to sit in next week on my rig as he wants to see what the FM9 can do. I guess he's been drooling over the FM9 web pages.)

Another EV PXM-12P user! These monitors are really good, Lightweight and well balanced no surprises in the bottom end. With 3 Inputs, 2 combi TRS/XLR and 1 RCA, 1 XLR through and 1 XLR mix out they have you well covered on the I/O plenty of DSP EQ options and have a pole mount!

I ran them a few weeks ago on some mini stands and was blown away at how well they carried the room. For the money I highly recommend them!

I'll be switching from a Helix Floor to the FM9 soon and was looking for some recommendations for an FRFR speaker to pair with it for home use and playing with a band. I currently use a Headrush 108 with my Helix, but it gets pretty bassy, even at low levels. I don't have the space or want to elevate it either which I've heard can help. Also, an input for aux on a speaker would be nice too incase I want to hook up my MP3 player to it.

I did see the QSC CP8 maybe a good alternative, but want to get some more recommendations first before selling my Headrush. And sorry, I'm sure this topic has probably been done to death already lol.
hey bro I've got a Helix LT I am thinking of getting an FM9 is the difference really THAT noticable and worth it? BTW I use Xitone Active Wedge and it is INCREDIBLE loud as balls, insane tone articulation, super strong build! I love it

Also if you YouTube Xitone I've uploaded a few videos showing off its tone on various patches...I hope you find it useful but the microphone is crap its my webcam...ill try to get something better sorted in the near future!

Last edited:
I use a pair of Electro-Voice PXM-12MP and love them. I had the FM9 and the pair of speakers out last night, and a friend of mine who's been running a digital rig for years wandered over and told me my rig sounded really good, so there's that.

(My friend is on a maxed-out AX8, with lots of outboard pedals to supplement it, and he's supposed to sit in next week on my rig as he wants to see what the FM9 can do. I guess he's been drooling over the FM9 web pages.)
Hey Greg
My apologies for my question that's off topic. In addition to my FM9, I play a Kurzweil PC4 88 keyboard / controller.
Do you think the EV PXM-12MP could handle a keyboard ? Thanks in advance.

hey bro I've got a Helix LT I am thinking of getting an FM9 is the difference really THAT noticable and worth it? BTW I use Xitone Active Wedge and it is INCREDIBLE loud as balls, insane tone articulation, super strong build! I love it

Also if you YouTube Xitone I've uploaded a few videos showing off its tone on various patches...I hope you find it useful but the microphone is crap its my webcam...ill try to get something better sorted in the near future!

Yea, I've had my FM9 for over a year now and its definitely way better than the Helix LT. Basically night and day. Its worth the price and you don't really need to use third party IRs with it.

Back
Top Bottom