Good clean tones?

I use my Axe FX setup to play lead in a dire straits tribute band. I found some great clean tones using the Vibrolux, the Soldano SLO 100 (on clean) I used the 1976 TV marshall 4*12... I think it comes from a free cab pack. The Vibrolux can bee a bit dull at low volumes, but really comes to live at higher volumes (but then again, my presets are for high volume, so maybe some EQ could fix that)

I've found that many, many people don't mean absolutely no distortion when they say "clean". They usually mean something that has a little bit of grit when you dig in or play double-stops.

If you are looking for totally pristine clean, with no breakup, I've found that the Mesa II can sound really really nice. The Silverface Twin Reverb is really good too, and it has huge amount of dynamics as well. I like the Fender Concert as a good, all-round, utility amp that does a nice, warm pristine clean with some good dynamics.

I've found that many, many people don't mean absolutely no distortion when they say "clean". They usually mean something that has a little bit of grit when you dig in or play double-stops.

If you are looking for totally pristine clean, with no breakup, I've found that the Mesa II can sound really really nice. The Silverface Twin Reverb is really good too, and it has huge amount of dynamics as well. I like the Fender Concert as a good, all-round, utility amp that does a nice, warm pristine clean with some good dynamics.
Exactly why I suggested posting examples... My "clean" has a decent amount of hair on it. And I love it... But to someone else, they may want that USA Clean or JC120 sound.

I think these perfect hifi studio clean sounds are just that, they are for recording studios. For the stage it's hard to get them balanced with the overdriven/ distorted presets, because their dynamic behavior and their reaction on volume changes is way different That's when somehow the volume balance between presets is never just right and you never get a stable balance no matter how often you tweak. For stage use you are better off with a bit hairy and a bit compressed cleans, because these are way easier to balance.
With the different targets different amps are in the ballpark.
So what are you searching for? Studio cleans or stage cleans?
My 2 cts/ YMMV

I think these perfect hifi studio clean sounds are just that, they are for recording studios. For the stage it's hard to get them balanced with the overdriven/ distorted presets, because their dynamic behavior and their reaction on volume changes is way different That's when somehow the volume balance between presets is never just right and you never get a stable balance no matter how often you tweak. For stage use you are better off with a bit hairy and a bit compressed cleans, because these are way easier to balance.
With the different targets different amps are in the ballpark.
So what are you searching for? Studio cleans or stage cleans?
My 2 cts/ YMMV
Stage cleans. Thanks

Stage cleans. Thanks

Ok. With the volume on the strat at 10 I turn gain up on the amp model until it distorts a bit. When I play clean I have the volume at around 7 on the strat. That's where it is clean but it allows for action in both directions of the volume pot. It's getting not that much louder when I crank it up while playing, it adds fatness and compression than and just the right boost for some licks. When I add a boost (filter block with volume at 9 or so) before it, I get some overdriven rhythm tone, something you couldn't do with an all clean amp because of the volume jump.

A JTM45 with gain around 1 is nice for it, or any other older non MV Marshall is nice, and then some others.

Ok. With the volume on the strat at 10 I turn gain up on the amp model until it distorts a bit. When I play clean I have the volume at around 7 on the strat. That's where it is clean but it allows for action in both directions of the volume pot. It's getting not that much louder when I crank it up while playing, it adds fatness and compression than and just the right boost for some licks. When I add a boost (filter block with volume at 9 or so) before it, I get some overdriven rhythm tone, something you couldn't do with an all clean amp because of the volume jump.

A JTM45 with gain around 1 is nice for it, or any other older non MV Marshall is nice, and then some others.
But when I boost the amp model why clip the outputs? I can got a good clean when I crank up the volume . Must re adjust the outputs? I’m go to UV meter and looks good. Any trick?

An amp at the edge of distortion will not clip the outputs when you boost its input. It don't adds that much of volume, it adds dirt and compression. That's a more stable sound and you can rely on it. That makes playing live way easier. You can use the volume pot to get small variations of sound and volume. When you have the volume pot at 6 or 7 for normal rhythm you can turn it up to 10 for single notes and clean solos, no need to switch any preset or IA, it's in your hands, it's on your guitar.

A totally clean amp can make big volume jumps when you turn the pot or add pre amp effects. Way harder to handle.

Ok, there's these guys that always have volume and tone on 10, they play presets only and can't make any variations with their hands....for them my way don't matters, they do something different.

An amp at the edge of distortion will not clip the outputs when you boost its input. It don't adds that much of volume, it adds dirt and compression. That's a more stable sound and you can rely on it. That makes playing live way easier. You can use the volume pot to get small variations of sound and volume. When you have the volume pot at 6 or 7 for normal rhythm you can turn it up to 10 for single notes and clean solos, no need to switch any preset or IA, it's in your hands, it's on your guitar.

A totally clean amp can make big volume jumps when you turn the pot or add pre amp effects. Way harder to handle.

Ok, there's these guys that always have volume and tone on 10, they play presets only and can't make any variations with their hands....for them my way don't matters, they do something different.
Thsnk you for the help.

another thing to consider with your clean tone is the overall tone type..

spanky, bright and thin.. full bodied and thick with bright twangy highs... full bodied, thick and dark... etc
they are different and have different applications

so when you're thinking about a tone, think about the application / setting in which you intend to use it.

another thing to consider with your clean tone is the overall tone type..

spanky, bright and thin.. full bodied and thick with bright twangy highs... full bodied, thick and dark... etc
they are different and have different applications

so when you're thinking about a tone, think about the application / setting in which you intend to use it.

Exactly. "Clean" doesn't mean totally transparent, like a PolyTone jazz amp.

OK. Here is some advice on clean tones:

1. Turn down the overall level as clean tones have more dynamic range and will clip more easily.
2. Clean - like Toto? Use the CA3 Clean, or go with NO AMP. Just a compressor to tame the peaks.
3. Clean like The Edge? Use a AC20 or AC30 and turn the gain way down, master at 10 and volume to taste.
4. Awesome Blues clean is the ODS Clean.
4. Dire Straight Clean is Vibrolux with gain WAY down and Volume well up.

Final bit of advice, use your ears only, not the numbers. Gain at 2.0 on a Fender Twin is LOUD and gritty. It takes coming way down to get a real clean tone. Just use ears only.

Fun!

Just to add to the lively debate, I would add that the type of guitar and pickup configuration also has a significant impact on how "clean" a guitar gets. High output vs low output, active, passive, single goils or the mighty bumhuckers make a real difference.

Back
Top Bottom