Good amp model to emulate Chuck Schuldiner's tone?

TakaraGold

Experienced
Hi guys,
I'm a diehard Death fan, had the chance to see them live and meet all of them, so one thing is off the bucketlist.
I would love to get close to the tones from "Human", "ITP" and "Symbolic". I cooked up a couple presets using the Euro Uber and the 5150 Red, they work nice and all, a different flavour if you will. But I'd love to use something closer to the solidstate Marshall tone he used. Any model you guys would recommend for this??? Any tips will be deeply appreciated. I know it will probably work better with a drive as well; maybe the Tubescreamer or the RCB as boosts.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have the ownhammer v3 dzl v30 en IRs, this preset uses the EL34 LV 01 cab. it's a tone match i made of flesh and the power it holds that I did awhile ago, I don't remember what firmware it was on so I don't know how much different it would be today because I don't have a recording of it but yeah. if you don't have that ownhammer stuff I guess just flip through the cabs until you get one that sounds right. my guitar is an Ibanez rg8 with nazgul and sentient pickups, so that may affect how it sounds on your end also.

Attachments

• death fatpih.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 34
I don't really remember why the 2nd PEQ block is there, out of all of the weird eq-ing I had to do that's the one I don't remember why haha maybe it was before I did the actual tone match and then I just got excited to play with it and forgot to delete it

Reactions: mak
Come on guys, no tips? Emulating a good solidstate Marshall highgain tone that is.

Messing with the Brit800 Mod and the Super Od in front. The brightness feels closer, yet the distortion grain and how the note sustains doesn't feel quite right.

Try one of the more modern Marshalls, turn the sag all the way down, so that the power amp modelling is off. Set presence to zero, and use the GEQ in the amp block to add back some of the bass and treble you lose when you turn of the power amp modelling.

Try one of the more modern Marshalls, turn the sag all the way down, so that the power amp modelling is off. Set presence to zero, and use the GEQ in the amp block to add back some of the bass and treble you lose when you turn of the power amp modelling.

Why would you turn that off? Just interested in understanding the reasoning...

Sag all way down will emulate poweramp is set off for amp block if i remember correct ,it will not get rid off whole poweramp section for Axe FX II thought but gets more close to solid state style amps. Chuck did use what i have read Marshall 8100 and that is not full tube amplifier ,it is hybrid amplifier and that amplifier have only one preamp tube in preamp section whit zero poweramp tubes.

I have owned in past three times that Marshall 8100 its unique amplifier ,would be nice to see in future that inside Axe FX II if that will happening some point.

Why would you turn that off? Just interested in understanding the reasoning...

Reactions: mak
Chuck used a few things. The last amp he used before he died was a Marshall Valvestate 8200 Bi-Chorus. This amp in particular was used from Symbolic on. The Angle Severe 2 will get you in the ballpark. Add some chorus. Mix to taste. I would use the German cabs, or check out the ML Bulb Angle Citrus Collection for the cabs.

Individual Thought Patterns was a Gallien Krueger 250ML with the chorus turned on. It was running through a 4x12 can and mic'd. Human was a Randall RG100. Prior to that, I believe he was using Peavey gear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom