Gonna get weird today…

Kurt L

Inspired
I picked up an FC-12, got my expression pedals calibrated and working, understand the basics of the layouts…

So today my goal is to make up some wild presets, do some things out of my comfort zone.

I’m still a relative noob… anyone wanna share some favorite tricks I should try? Synth blocks, pitch blocks, modifiers… I just wanna dig in, have some fun, and create some textural weirdness. Whatcha got for me???

check out Leon Todds videos @2112
Thanks, I’ve watched a lot of Leon’s videos. Love his method for auditioning IRs with the looper. I never would have thought of that!

Today I’m looking for things that might not cut it as a main guitar sound but could work well tucked into a mix.

Reverb with high mix, maybe some mod and parallel (so you get dry + reverb) is your new best friend, as is pitch shifting your delay repeats (up or down - or both).

Here's a preset I use that's set up for having two pedals hooked up to the FC-12.
Pedal 2 does different things with different scenes. Not way out there, but you might find it useful.

Attachments

• Urbertschall.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Play around with assigning Envelope and/or Pitch Follower as Controllers on various things: works well on Mix or Depth (or both) on effects that support those parameters to make them more dynamic.

I have one preset using the Synth where on one voice I have the Envelope assigned to Filter Frequency, and on the 2nd voice I have Pitch Follower assigned to the Filter Frequency but with Min/Max inverted (so the frequency goes lower as the Pitch goes higher and vice versa).

Another weird and fun thing to do: play with Bit Reduction and Sample Rate in the Drive block:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fun-with-bit-reduction-and-sample-rate.163244/

Or auto panning:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/auto-panning-for-fun-and-profit.174150/

Lots of good tips, thank you very much. Gotta knock out a few chores (dig up two dead trees), then I can spend a few hours with the Fractal!

For absolutely gross character tones I like these

-Octave distortion
-Reverse delay with very short time
-Step phaser/Flanger
-Ring mod
-multiple instances of the Metalzone with all knobs on 10 straight into the pignose IR
- Running a fuzz post cab (be careful of the level)

Just another reason to read the manual (though to be fair, it's suggested there for use when adjusting levels).
I’m definitely a “RTFM” kind of guy. I guess that tip didn’t stick in my memory!

Fractal’s manuals are very well done, something that is much appreciated! I still have nightmares (and fits of laughter) over old Roland manuals.o_O

For absolutely gross character tones I like these

-multiple instances of the Metalzone with all knobs on 10 straight into the pignose IR
Man, I did this one back in the analog world... college days when I had a little studio time left over!

IIRC, it was a Rat and a Boss HM-2 into my old Pignose. You could also get different tones by opening up the Pignose and micing it from weird angles. It felt very Billy Gibbons-like.

Try a quad voice pitch shifter, set some interesting intervals for three of them, then attach a sequencer modifier to the fourth voice, and then do all sorts of whacky with it, using the level parameter for that voice to make it be a feature or compliment.

Play around with assigning Envelope and/or Pitch Follower as Controllers on various things: works well on Mix or Depth (or both) on effects that support those parameters to make them more dynamic.

I have one preset using the Synth where on one voice I have the Envelope assigned to Filter Frequency, and on the 2nd voice I have Pitch Follower assigned to the Filter Frequency but with Min/Max inverted (so the frequency goes lower as the Pitch goes higher and vice versa).

Another weird and fun thing to do: play with Bit Reduction and Sample Rate in the Drive block:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fun-with-bit-reduction-and-sample-rate.163244/

Or auto panning:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/auto-panning-for-fun-and-profit.174150/
Pitch follower has changed my life. Rhythm is basically dry, then I go up to the higher registers to do a lead, flange creeps in and soaring delays start to take over. It has virtually eliminated the pedal dance.

I’ve been using the feedback send and return blocks to create perpetually evolving loops with my outboard loopers. You can do something similar with a delay block. Run it in a parallel path, using a volume block to mute the send to it, so you can play along with it and not add new audio to the line. Set the delay mix to 100% and post delay, add whatever effects you want to evolve. Good times.

I’ve been using the feedback send and return blocks to create perpetually evolving loops with my outboard loopers. You can do something similar with a delay block. Run it in a parallel path, using a volume block to mute the send to it, so you can play along with it and not add new audio to the line. Set the delay mix to 100% and post delay, add whatever effects you want to evolve. Good times.
Setting bypass mode to mute effect in does some of that too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom