Gone back to FV2.00 for now. Anyone else?

Virtually the entire range of the parameter is now a sweet spot. Don't try to dial up your amps using the settings from 2.0, 1.0 or Gen1. Use your ears.... and trust them.

I agree. It feels like a good tube amp where the basic amp controls(drive,master,bass,etc) can be all over the place, within reason, and it still sounds good. I have found with 3.0 that looking up actual amp settings on how people dial in the real amp that the model is based on is relevent more now than ever. Go find a good youtube video where someone is demoing an amp found in the Axe-Fx II in a proper recording environment using a cabinet that you have an IR for (i.e. Mesa 4x12 V30). Watch them vary the settings on the amp, and you do the same on the Axe-FX. The small variations that are there are probably more due to different player, guitar, mic preamp, microphone, room, etc than the amp model. I will say that the microphone selection does not always translate. Example: A SM57 on high gain tones can make an amp sound "fizzy" depending on how you mic the cabinet. In the Axe-Fx the IR's seem to recorded with an extremely flat microphone, and when you select a microphone you overlay its "response" on top of the cabinet IR so to speak. In real life you would move the mic around until you found its sweet spot for the particular tone, so buying the Redwirez IR's would probably give a better 1:1 comparison with the real world.

Never goin back!
Minimal tweaking to get better tones on my patches and updated presets sound amazing too IMO
Good Luck!

I agree. It feels like a good tube amp where the basic amp controls(drive,master,bass,etc) can be all over the place, within reason, and it still sounds good.

Exactly. Don't be afraid to turn the bass all the way down or the treble all the way up. Just like with the actual amp. For example, on the normal channel of a Plexi, most people turn the bass way down. Otherwise it's too flubby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BMH
Wow, again great advice here. I heard some harshness as well in my high gain patches... but PLEASE don't give up...for me it was the triode and power tube hardness settings. I lowered both to 4'ish and I'm back to what my ears told me was my 2.0 sound.

Of course, while I was at it, I took some of Scott's advice and just LISTENED while adjusting the speaker drive and proximity params...first, majorly, plus and minus so I could hear what they did and then little by little. WHOA! I'm really happy with my tones again. THANKS TO ALL!

-Mike

Sorry guys, I edit my presets immediatley after the upgrades get into my hands ... didn't know the sound changed so much without changing the amp type back and forth.

I can say one thing for certain, after owning a bunch of Bogner Shivas and XTCs, the note definition and separation in the new firmware is spot on. That is the whole reason I bought those amps. Some may hate the Bogner presets because of this, but the Axe now duplicates the real amps unbelievably well.

Exactly. Don't be afraid to turn the bass all the way down or the treble all the way up. Just like with the actual amp. For example, on the normal channel of a Plexi, most people turn the bass way down. Otherwise it's too flubby.

So true. I keep my real JMP 1987's bass all the way down.

Sweet music...

Hey Cliff,

That makes me feel better, because I noticed when I was blending a Plexi Normal (or Plexi Treble) Model with a Das Metall Model (for an Adam Jones/Tool type "amp-blend") I had the treble pinned (all-the-way-up!) on the Plexi Models, although the presence (on parameter page-2) is only up about a third, but that presence-control is (IMO) in "ice-pick" territory (frequency-wise) so I wouldn't boost THAT too much - LOL! I also found myself cutting the bass (on parameter page-1) although not all-the-way-down (mine is at 9:00-to-10:00 or 2.5-to-3.5 on a scale of 1-to-10.)

NOTE: I am NOT an FRFR user (mostly due to financial limitations for now, but eventually I'd like to get closer to an FRFR-rig or some sort of "hybrid" style rig (ex: EVM12L speaker-cabs with Matrix GT800X amp - eventually!)
Currently using a NON-flat EL-84 based tube power-amp (Hughes & Kettner VS250) and 50-watt Celestion-Loaded ADA "Split-Stack" Slant-2x12cabs. Thus Power-Amp Sims OFF; Cab-Sims OFF.

Thanks so much for that insight. I think the fact that some users freak-out over seemingly aggressive parameter adjustments (to get their patches sounding good to them) probably indicates that a lot of these Axe-FX owners probably were NOT owners/users of the actual amps that they are using as base-amp models! I'll freely admit that I have never owned an actual Diezel VH-4 or a vintage Marshall Plexi amp (I assume my dreams don't count - LOL!) However, I now feel like I can really get damn close to a lot of these iconic and powerful amps that you have painstakingly modeled for our use/pleasure in the Axe-FX II.

GREAT JOB on the Axe-FX II Cliff...and 3.02 ROCKS!

Another happy customer.

Bill

Last edited:

I've tried this for the last 6 hours.I really believe it is someting internal from the upgrade that only a few units reacted to.Even the clean presets sound thin and unlike any upgrade I've done in the past.I went back to 2.00 and it seems like the presets are stuck with the same problem.I did a parameter reset but it really changes nothing.It just seems to lack the balls and clarity it had before.And with everyone ranting how great the upgrade is makes me believe it is something more.No matter what firmware ,driver,or version of axe edit I use it still lacks that ump that it had before.I would be happy to ship mine to you on my dime both ways.I have my first live show before christmas and I'm freaking out because it totally changed for me.It just does not sound right at all.Let me know what you think.Thanks,Jeff

I've tried this for the last 6 hours.I really believe it is someting internal from the upgrade that only a few units reacted to.Even the clean presets sound thin and unlike any upgrade I've done in the past.I went back to 2.00 and it seems like the presets are stuck with the same problem.I did a parameter reset but it really changes nothing.It just seems to lack the balls and clarity it had before.And with everyone ranting how great the upgrade is makes me believe it is something more.No matter what firmware ,driver,or version of axe edit I use it still lacks that ump that it had before.I would be happy to ship mine to you on my dime both ways.I have my first live show before christmas and I'm freaking out because it totally changed for me.It just does not sound right at all.Let me know what you think.Thanks,Jeff

I'm not sure you have a grasp on how a digital environment works. Unless you have faulty converters or something this is really not a possible issues. I'm not intending for this to sound like a dig, but the most likely culprit is your ears or environment.

Hi,
Did you save your banks when you originally had 2.00 installed? If so, load those banks and don't use them if you go back to 3.02! Make new ones from scratch!

I figured out the main(possibly only) factor I liked about 2.00 over 3.02. The cleaner sounds sustain much longer (just Amp and Cab blocks running)than what I could get with 3.02! This is why I felt the feel was better with 2.00 however, everything els is better with 3.02 and with a little compression when needed, I'm becoming hooked on 3.02!

Hey Jethro, if i remember right you don't live too far from me so if you wanna get together and compare we can do that. My 3.02 is sounding great.

In my opinion v3 sounds and reacts much closer to the amps replicated. You might like it or not but in a device that is trying to replicate real amps, you would want it to be as close as possible to the real thing. I believe that right now it is much closer now than it was with v2.

My suggestion for everybody is to use your ears like you would do with a real amp. If you don't own the real amps, as somebody suggested, check on internet for settings commonly used on those real amps and try those in the Axe. With v3 the results are much closer to what you would get with the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom