Golfers - favorite driver and hybrids?

1poorplayer

Power User
Hello everyone. First year golfer here. Looking for some honest opinions about some clubs.
Any input is appreciated.

Callaway, but if your new just rent some at the pro shop, everyone is different and what clubs are good for some are not for others, just like a a guitar!
Bring lots of cash cuz my golfing career was set back from the cost of hitting balls.. :cool:

It takes a little experience to know what works just like buying a guitar. The first thing I do is hold the club in my hands and if it feels right I’ll buy it. Beginners should start with more forgiving clubs and not blades. Definitely helps to start out with a good golf pro.

Just about every major brand has their version of "game-improvement" clubs ( more forgiving ). But Callaway & Ping are right on top of the list .... Cobra is another one ( now that they're separate from Titleist ) ....

Just be careful ..., golf can be addictive and it's only 2nd to playing guitar for symptoms of G.A.S. !!!!

Really depends on what your goals are. If your just looking to go out and play occasionally with friends then a “game improvement“ ( Calloway, ping, and most others makes) set would suffice. However, if your serious about the game then blades are the way to go. The feedback blades provide is hard to replace. Yes, they are harder to hit if your swing isn’t fundamentally sound, but if your goal is to build a solid repeating swing....the Feedback is paramount, you don’t want a club that will hide your mistakes as game improvements do.

Think of it as playing guitar as fast as you can on the loudest clean amp you can, vs. Playing with a ton of gain...one will hide your mistakes and one will expose them.

Plus once you develop a sound swing, you can work the ball more with blades. There’s a reason the design hasn’t changed all these years. Pick any number of your favorite pros and look up what they played in college before getting paid to play clubs...you’ll see a trend.

Hard to beat the the double forged Japanese offerings. Mizunos are great off the rack and have Offerings in both categories.

Drivers are close enough, with Shafts being the biggest variable. Easy enough with a launch monitor.

Once you have a solid swing, you could shoot a decent score with clubs from Walmart, as Trevino said, “it’s the archer, not the arrow”. That’s the beauty of the game, anyone can be a very good golfer, but no one can buy a good golf game.

Edit: if your just starting and haven’t done so already. Get a copy of Hogan’s five lessons...its all in there, Straight from the man himself.

Last edited:
Edit: if your just starting and haven’t done so already. Get a copy of Hogan’s five lessons...its all in there, Straight from the man himself.

I go back to this book about once every two years. You should be able to find a PDF version online and read it on your phone or computer. The one thing I would caution you about is that as you get more experience and develop your own individual swing, trying to emulate Hogan can be a game killer. The positions he's able to achieve are unique to him. That being said, many have devoted years trying to emulate that swing because it's so awesome. My advice is to use it as a reference for the fundamentals but understand that your swing will be unique to you.

I'm partial to Callaway drivers. But I believe the shaft is what really will be the difference in what works and doesn't for you. If the club looks pleasing to your eye you'll have confidence. If the shaft is too stiff or not stiff enough, you'll be all over the place and be robbed of distance. The easy way to address this is go to Golf Galaxy or somewhere where they will have a trackman to determine what your swing speed is. The salesperson will most likely be able to recommend a regular or stiff depending on your speed and he won't charge you for the recommendation. I would hold off on getting fit until you've developed your swing because it's always changing.

As someone mentioned before: golf is a major GAS hobby. When you get the bug, it can consume you. Also, good chipping and putting can overcome bad driving and approach shots. Youtube is your friend and there's great instruction out there for free.

I go back to this book about once every two years. You should be able to find a PDF version online and read it on your phone or computer. The one thing I would caution you about is that as you get more experience and develop your own individual swing, trying to emulate Hogan can be a game killer. The positions he's able to achieve are unique to him. That being said, many have devoted years trying to emulate that swing because it's so awesome. My advice is to use it as a reference for the fundamentals but understand that your swing will be unique to you.

I'm partial to Callaway drivers. But I believe the shaft is what really will be the difference in what works and doesn't for you. If the club looks pleasing to your eye you'll have confidence. If the shaft is too stiff or not stiff enough, you'll be all over the place and be robbed of distance. The easy way to address this is go to Golf Galaxy or somewhere where they will have a trackman to determine what your swing speed is. The salesperson will most likely be able to recommend a regular or stiff depending on your speed and he won't charge you for the recommendation. I would hold off on getting fit until you've developed your swing because it's always changing.

As someone mentioned before: golf is a major GAS hobby. When you get the bug, it can consume you. Also, good chipping and putting can overcome bad driving and approach shots. Youtube is your friend and there's great instruction out there for free.

Agree completely on Hogan’s swing...would be foolish to try and replicate in its entirety And nearly impossible for most Anatomically (Hogan had very long arms relative to his height), and being a switter is no easy task. But the book still contains everything you need to develop a solid fundamentals, even if you’ll never have his swing.

Invest first in lessons with a professional who can properly assess what your body and swing should be. It will save you pain later in the form of repetitive injuries.

If you're just starting, I wouldn't 'go deep' into expensive clubs until you know what you're doing, and experienced enough to know what feels good. You wouldn't buy a $6k custom guitar if you've just learned to handle a few chords.

IMO.
R

I just started back playing again after a 20 year hiatus (I retired). I put together a complete, used a nice set of Pings G30 Irons and Woods (from ebay and other online sources for under $1K)...now I'm working on the "Single Plane Swing" as developed by a Canadian named Moe Norman and now taught by Todd Graves (see below). Tour Pro Bryson DeChambeau (hits a 400+ yard drive) uses this swing and the biggest thing about this, is it reduces my back problems! Also, this type of swing has corrected my slice!

Invest first in lessons with a professional who can properly assess what your body and swing should be. It will save you pain later in the form of repetitive injuries.

If you're just starting, I wouldn't 'go deep' into expensive clubs until you know what you're doing, and experienced enough to know what feels good. You wouldn't buy a $6k custom guitar if you've just learned to handle a few chords.

IMO.
R

Irons typically don't go bad. You should be able to find a used set on eBay that is last year or the year before's model on the cheap. The shops that sell them online clean them up and re-grip them nicely for you too.

I just started back playing again after a 20 year hiatus (I retired). I put together a complete, used a nice set of Pings G30 Irons and Woods (from ebay and other online sources for under $1K)...now I'm working on the "Single Plane Swing" as developed by a Canadian named Moe Norman and now taught by Todd Graves (see below). Tour Pro Bryson DeChambeau (hits a 400+ yard drive) uses this swing and the biggest thing about this, is it reduces my back problems! Also, this type of swing has corrected my slice!

Mike Malaska is good too, IMO. He puts it into simple terms. Thinking about it now, Moe's swing might be the easiest to learn. Bryson's whole theory is to make things less complicated, which is ironic because Bryson is so technical.

Dechambeu can be tracked Back to Homer Kelley and TGM...and he is easily the most successful example of that swing pattern, and demonstrates that it can, in fact be done...as documented in the book. But there’s a reason there’s so few great players are using that pattern...your the power supply, rather than directing force from physics. Moe was not a long hitter...and the game rewards distance. You can bulk up as Bryson has (And some long drI’ve champs), and you can make it work... as long as you are strong enough to generate speed, additionally it’s repeatability, is subject to your individual athleticism at the given moment.

Michelle Wie was hitting the ball 315 at 14....it wasn’t because she was strong, rather because she was able to utilize the natural force of the swing...which, when setup correctly, will repeat on its own, in the exact same place, nearly every single time. I’d rather rely on physics than myself...particularly under pressure.

Just seems like the easier option long term.. Phil is 50 and still hitting bombs because he swings the club...Bryson will have to be crazy Fit at 50 to maintain his distance....because he hits the ball.

This method is nothing new, and it used to come around every ten years or so, and then go just as fast. Theres a reason Bryson is the only one making money with it...and it’s not because it’s easier.

Having Said that, I’m all for anything that makes someone enjoy the game more, and it certainly is the answer for some.

Hybrid set is a good idea.
The driver is a hard club to find.. ridiculous prices.
Hybrid set will help out beginner probably...a little..lol
Takes time and regular playing to improve.
Throwing money at it...expensive clubs..wont help.

Back
Top Bottom