Wish Golden Delay Mode

The only downside is that the Golden-ratio timing would be tied to Tempo. As with straight delay, that may or may not be what you want.

I normally lock all my delays to tempo but that's a good point for those who don't. Plus side of golden tempos is they could be used in any block that supports tempo sync.

Reactions: Rex
What if the caclulation was done with the same ratios, but applied to the mS value, which is, presumably, derived from the tempo, so that it works for all situations?

0.381 × mS
0.618 ×mS
(1) × mS
1.618 × mS

This could, presumably, also capture when tap tempo is used, even with something like a dotted-eighth modifier applied (i.e., you tap quarter notes, but delay in mS is calculated to give a dotted eighth note repeat).

What if the caclulation was done with the same ratios, but applied to the mS value, which is, presumably, derived from the tempo, so that it works for all situations?

0.381 × mS
0.618 ×mS
(1) × mS
1.618 × mS

This could, presumably, also capture when tap tempo is used, even with something like a dotted-eighth modifier applied (i.e., you tap quarter notes, but delay in mS is calculated to give a dotted eighth note repeat).
How would that differ from what @Admin M@ proposed?

Similar to what was proposed in post #5?

Sort-of. I was thinking along the lines of being able to set a preset set of tapped delays set up with the ratios suggested, with the mS being what got modded by the ratios, so whether tempo or fixed mS were used, it would still provide the same pattern of delay time ratios automagically.

Sort-of. I was thinking along the lines of being able to set a preset set of tapped delays set up with the ratios suggested, with the mS being what got modded by the ratios, so whether tempo or fixed mS were used, it would still provide the same pattern of delay time ratios automagically.
You're thinking of something like a golden mode, where you set one delay value and the rest follow, right?

You're thinking of something like a golden mode, where you set one delay value and the rest follow, right?

Precisely. Applied to whatever mS the delay line is set for, either by patch tempo, tap tempo, or just dialing up 450mS and hitting the save button.

It would be a nice feature. I would use this. I have been doing the math as I go thru a preset. This would save some time. Would this be adding anything to the CPU level?

One quick and dirty way to get golden ratio tap times that continue (Fibonacci sequence) is to use the Megatap Delay and set the Time Alpha to 1.618 for an increasing time tap or set it to 0.618 for a decreasing time tap. Turn the pre-delay all the way down and use the delay time to set the length of the whole sequence. Adjust number of taps to taste. Amplitude Alpha to Decreasing will give you a traditional fade out.

The Golden Ratio requires two values, so only delays with at least two taps or delay lines can utilize it. A tempo setting for it likely wouldn't be of much use in most of the effects that operate on a single delay line or LFO.

You could have a simple golden ratio division of the beat, giving you a single value that's basically 61.8% of the length of whichever note value you'd pick. Its repeating with feedback would not really line up with the beat very well though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom